PDA

View Full Version : Ummmmm......I think I really scored

SUPERBEE
01-27-2007, 03:15 PM
The audio gods must like me today. I picked these up this morning for $40.00 from the original owner. Everything works (I am blasting the Byrds right now) and they look great.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN3677.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN3676.JPG

johnaec
01-27-2007, 03:54 PM
What are they? (I can't quite read the logo...)

John

SUPERBEE
01-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Sorry bout that...

Altec Lansing 879A Santana's

What are they? (I can't quite read the logo...)

John

SEAWOLF97
01-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Sorry bout that...

Altec Lansing 879A Santana's

Nice score , dude.
Now you'll have that AZ guy sick again.

won't be needing that Paragon anymore ?

SUPERBEE
01-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Yup, That old Paragon is just taking up space.

Nice score , dude.

Now you'll have that AZ guy sick again.

won't be needing that Paragon anymore ?

Storm
01-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Very nice score!

Wish they were Valencias, as I am sure you do too!

If you decide to sell, let me know - I am very interested.

Thanks.

-Storm.

Titanium Dome
01-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Great catch. For that kind of money, you can't go wrong.

Nightbrace
01-27-2007, 10:46 PM
WOW< those look amazing, and for the price, a deal like that comes around once in a lifetime! What do they sound like? Does he have any more speakers?

SUPERBEE
01-28-2007, 07:00 PM
WOW< those look amazing, and for the price, a deal like that comes around once in a lifetime! What do they sound like? Does he have any more speakers?

They sound great. TONS of solid bottom end (And who does not like solid bottom end) and a big and rich full sound. Not the best definitions in the highs. The 4311's in the same room have a better grasp of that. I have run them with both SS and tube gear and its good either way. Overall a solid set of beautiful vintage speakers...........For someone else.

Storm
02-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Just noticed these have been listed on eBay.

Superbee - how can you have that bad of feedback? I am a feedback junkie and I was going to bid and drive over, but seeing 48 negatives kind of makes me have an uneasy feeling in my stomach.

Care to explain?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190079653113&rd=1&rd=1

Thanks.

-Storm.

:banghead:

hjames
02-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Storm - if you don't feel right don't bid - but busting this guy out in public when you've had no personal dealings with him seems a bit much.
Wouldn't this question have been better asked in a PM??

Just noticed these have been listed on eBay. (some stuff stripped by HJames)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190079653113&rd=1&rd=1

-Storm.

SUPERBEE
02-04-2007, 01:41 PM
First of all I have been on Ebay since 1998. Back then you could leave feedback on a member even if you had not done a transaction with them. So a lot of my early NEGS are people who got mad at me if I didn't offer a deal, end an auction early, or ship for cheaper than it cost me. Or in some cases I would call another seller on his bullshit.

Second I will not take ANY shit on Ebay because I hate them so much. If you are straight with me and play by the rules (Pay within 5 days, ship within 5 days of payment recipt, represent your item or your self truthfully) then we will both have a positive transaction. If you do not then I have no problem honestly describing who you are and what you did. So I have received a lot of retaliatory NEGS (A violation of Ebay policy that they DO NOT enforce) because of that.

Third I have successfully completed almost 8,000 transactions on Ebay with only 48 negative responses. I think those odds are pretty good.

If you want a good laugh read my entire feedback profile. Check out how funny and stupid some of those people are that have left a negative. Then look at what I have posted about them and note the TIMES and you will see what I mean.

Storm if you are seriously interested in these then call me. We can arrange a time for you to come see/hear them. You can have a beer with me and find out for yourself what kind of a seller I am AND the quality of the product I am selling.

Just noticed these have been listed on eBay.

Superbee - how can you have that bad of feedback? I am a feedback junkie and I was going to bid and drive over, but seeing 48 negatives kind of makes me have an uneasy feeling in my stomach.

Care to explain?

Thanks.

-Storm.

oznob
02-04-2007, 02:42 PM
First of all I have been on Ebay since 1998. Back then you could leave feedback on a member even if you had not done a transaction with them. So a lot of my early NEGS are people who got mad at me if I didn't offer a deal, end an auction early, or ship for cheaper than it cost me. Or in some cases I would call another seller on his bullshit.

Second I will not take ANY shit on Ebay because I hate them so much. If you are straight with me and play by the rules (Pay within 5 days, ship within 5 days of payment recipt, represent your item or your self truthfully) then we will both have a positive transaction. If you do not then I have no problem honestly describing who you are and what you did. So I have received a lot of retaliatory NEGS (A violation of Ebay policy that they DO NOT enforce) because of that.

Third I have successfully completed almost 8,000 transactions on Ebay with only 48 negative responses. I think those odds are pretty good.

If you want a good laugh read my entire feedback profile. Check out how funny and stupid some of those people are that have left a negative. Then look at what I have posted about them and note the TIMES and you will see what I mean.

Storm if you are seriously interested in these then call me. We can arrange a time for you to come see/hear them. You can have a beer with me and find out for yourself what kind of a seller I am AND the quality of the product I am selling.

Great response SUPERBEE! One thing that really ticks me off is when, as a buyer, you fulfill your end of the bargain correctly. Then, the seller won't leave feedback for you until you leave it for him, certainly after the item you purchased has all ready arrived in whatever condition. When I'm a seller, if the transaction was done as arranged on the buyers part, I immediately leave the appropriate feedback. Fortunately, I have only been burned once and that happened to be by a current Forum member who will remain nameless. If I were in the market for some Santana's, I would have absolutely no reservations doing business with you, that and you're a Mopar guy to boot! :thmbsup:

John
02-04-2007, 02:58 PM
First of all I have been on Ebay since 1998. Back then you could leave feedback on a member even if you had not done a transaction with them.

I never heard that before???:blink:

Second I will not take ANY shit on Ebay because I hate them so much.

I think what your saying is that this is a love hate thing!!!;)

You can always try Audiogon.?

Zilch
02-04-2007, 03:15 PM
I never heard that before???:blink: Yup. It was the conceptual genesis of the "Blog."

[Equal standing for ALL feckwits.... :D ]

SUPERBEE
02-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks Oz. The first round is on me.

When I am buying I look at the whole feedback picture and then decide if I want to bid or not. So far (almost 10 years) I have not had a problem.

Most of my NEGs are retalitory after I blasted someone for screwing with me. One of those is a forum member as well. His name is AUDIOFIN here and he is a total douche-bag. Is that your guy? You can PM if you want.

Great response SUPERBEE! One thing that really ticks me off is when, as a buyer, you fulfill your end of the bargain correctly. Then, the seller won't leave feedback for you until you leave it for him, certainly after the item you purchased has all ready arrived in whatever condition. When I'm a seller, if the transaction was done as arranged on the buyers part, I immediately leave the appropriate feedback. Fortunately, I have only been burned once and that happened to be by a current Forum member who will remain nameless. If I were in the market for some Santana's, I would have absolutely no reservations doing business with you, that and you're a Mopar guy to boot! :thmbsup:

oznob
02-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks Oz. The first round is on me.

When I am buying I look at the whole feedback picture and then decide if I want to bid or not. So far (almost 10 years) I have not had a problem.

Most of my NEGs are retalitory after I blasted someone for screwing with me. One of those is a forum member as well. His name is AUDIOFIN here and he is a total douche-bag. Is that your guy? You can PM if you want.

Nope, not AUDIOFIN. I would name him but I promised Mr. Widget I would not be "mean spirited" toward this particular member. This is the age of political correctness and we surely would not want to offend anyone or hurt their little feelings!

johnaec
02-04-2007, 03:58 PM
One thing that really ticks me off is when, as a buyer, you fulfill your end of the bargain correctly. Then, the seller won't leave feedback for you until you leave it for him, certainly after the item you purchased has all ready arrived in whatever condition.I agree! If you get something that wasn't packed well and damaged, you don't want to give a negative, (almost no matter how much they deserve it!), because these are the same type of neanderthals that will then give you negative feedback, regardless of the fact you'd already come through for them with no problems at all! :biting:

I really wish there was some way eBay could prevent this. The only time I had to come close, (a seller never followed through on an insurance claim), I waited until the very end of the 60 day period for giving feedback, and even then, gave the guy a neutral. He ends up emailing me back screaming bloody murder, but I'd held up my end of the bargain, and it was too late for him to do anything. ;)

John

Titanium Dome
02-04-2007, 04:22 PM
The feedback system is AFU. I despise those who hold you hostage until you give them positive feedback. I hope there's a serious remake of this whole FU system soon.

The idea of ebay is so cool and the execution of it is so complete, that it just has to become an exploitative POS rather than the fair and safe marketplace it was to become. I get the feeling they don't even care anymore. What else ya gonna do?

Variation on Mad Max: "You want to sell used gear, you come to me."

SEAWOLF97
02-04-2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y07/m01/i23/s03

eBay's 'Feedback 2.0' Revealed
By Ina Steiner ([email protected])
AuctionBytes.com (http://www.auctionbytes.com/)
January 23, 2007 eBay users can now view sample screenshots of eBay's recently announced "Feedback 2.0" system on the eBay UK website. The new system will allow buyers to rate transactions on item description, communication, shipping time, and shipping & handling charges. In late February, eBay will pilot Feedback 2.0 on eBay.co.uk, eBay.ie and in Australia, Belgium, France, India, Italy and Poland. If all goes well, eBay will launch the new system globally in late spring or early summer.

eBay UK announced the forthcoming system to users on Monday on its Announcement Board, with links to screenshots and details. Once buyers leave a rating of positive, negative or neutral along with a comment, they will have the chance to rate sellers on the following four questions:

How accurate was the item description?
How satisfied were you with the seller's communication?
How quickly did the seller deliver the item?
How reasonable were the postage and packaging charges?Buyers can give sellers up to five stars on each of the rating criteria. For instance, five stars on the first question indicates the seller's item description was "very accurate," while two stars on the last question indicates the postage and packaging charges were "unreasonable." eBay will include a thumbnail image of the item underneath the auction title to make it easier for the buyer to remember the item.
On the Feedback Profile page, called Member Profile page under the original feedback rating system, eBay has added a new module that provides the average of each Detailed Sellers Rating left by buyers for the seller in the past 12 months. A seller must have at least 10 Detailed Seller Ratings to have an average displayed. In addition to the average, eBay displays the total number of ratings left for each Detailed Seller Rating in the past 12 months.
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/200701221753132.html (http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/200701221753132.html)

johnaec
02-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Once buyers leave a rating of positive, negative or neutral along with a comment, they will have the chance to rate sellers on the following four questions:

How accurate was the item description?
How satisfied were you with the seller's communication?
How quickly did the seller deliver the item?
How reasonable were the postage and packaging charges?

OK, but what's to keep the *seller* from giving the BUYER a negative feedback if they wait for the buyer to post first, and the seller decides he doesn't like what the buyer said?

'Still looks flawed to me. The seller should simply *not* be allowed to wait for the buyer to post feedback first if the seller has actually received clear payment, (which should automatically result in a positive feedback for the buyer), before the buyer receives the item.

John

SUPERBEE
02-04-2007, 08:46 PM
That would have helped me. The last few negative FB's I got were from a seller whom I left a neutral for since it took him a month to ship a paid item. Then a supposed American buyer who wanted me to pack and ship a set of JBL 4311's to China for only $80.00

OK, but what's to keep the *seller* from giving the BUYER a negative feedback if they wait for the buyer to post first, and the seller decides he doesn't like what the buyer said?

'Still looks flawed to me. The seller should simply *not* be allowed to wait for the buyer to post feedback first if the seller has actually received clear payment, (which should automatically result in a positive feedback for the buyer), before the buyer receives the item.

John

oznob
02-04-2007, 09:43 PM

John

Exactally the point, nothing! Maybe the whole feedback system itself is flawed and certainly not accurate. Ebay can claim deniability as they are just the vehicle for the auction, not the employer of the seller. They really have no "hammer" over the seller other than to maybe cancel their ebay account only to have them sign up under another name. I have had better luck on Audiogon but it too is getting bad. You usually have to pay more but I have found A-gon feedback more reliable than ebay. Lets face it, the days of finding REAL bargains are coming to an end. Oh sure, you may get "lucky" and find some 4355's for $100 from some poor widow clearing out her husband's prized audio possessions. With the internet, that too is getting rare, not to mention dishonest, IMHO, unless you are up-front with them on what they are worth. Just my old fashion values kicking in. I am coming to the realization that I should be happy with what I have and not worry about finding audio nirvanna around the next corner. I keep reminding myself that it's all about the music, not the equipment.

Zilch
02-04-2007, 10:24 PM
As author of "The eBay Cheap Buyer Guide," I attest there are plenty of ways for buyers to extort concessions from sellers who leave positive feedback first.

General policy: It ain't over until the buyer codifies their satisfaction in feedback, assuming the seller gives a whit.... :p

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2007, 07:30 PM
As author of "The eBay Cheap Buyer Guide,"

and where can we view/obtain this ?

JBLRaiser
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Damaged goods you can repair and parting out whole units. Otherwise, Ebay offers availability of discontinued products at a price the highest bidder is willing to pay. Just tried to get a Dynaco ST35 today. I wasn't willing to fork over enough money to win it, but I will be able to try again.