PDA

View Full Version : First Post

dennis harmon
01-27-2007, 03:30 AM
After being mostly into headphones the past few years I have started getting into speakers again.Having owned some JBL models in the past I decided to check out the new Venue line of speakers at Best Buy.I checked out the Stadium floorstander and was really impressed with its overall sound.For the money I thought it had a great sound.This was under less than ideal conditions(noise from other speakers,customers ect.)Has anybody heard these in a better enviroment.If so what did you think.

Storm
01-27-2007, 10:46 AM
This site is for anything older than 80s JBL and ALTEC.

You can find much better speakers at better prices than what you can find in Best Buy and other retail stores.

Just name your budget and we can let you know some of the awesome vintage speakers that can be bought and enjoyed.

-Storm.

hjames
01-27-2007, 11:11 AM
The site is for all JBL and Altec home audio and pro speakers and components (e.g, not computer speakers). Many folks here do tend to favor the older, "vintage" systems - but there are folks here who like some of the newer systems as well. JBL does have a number of lines of product - some sold in places like Best Buy, some higher lines are sold more in "Audiophile" type stores.

Glad to have you here!

This site is for anything older than 80s JBL and ALTEC.
-Storm.

BZZZZZT = WRONG - give that man a wet fish!

Storm
01-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Yummy - wet fish!

Maybe I can go to the UK and give it to JBL4645 - we can go to Odeon!

;)

-Storm.

oznob
01-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the Forum Dennis. True, most on this site covet the classic JBL and Altec gear. There are some of us that are very impressed the new stuff JBL has to offer. Music reproduction and taste are very subjective but if you have questions and want educated answers on audio, this is the place! Take some time and learn to work the "search" feature. Most questions will either have been answered or at least discussed, albeit some at great length!

Again, welcome:applaud:

spwal
01-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Best buy?

Mr. Widget
01-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Welcome aboard... there is no way you could ever make a useful decision auditioning something at an appliance store like Best Buy. I do think they have a fairly liberal return policy. If you see something that seems appropriate, you should buy it, take it home and give it a proper audition. If it wasn't all that you were hoping for, throw it back.

You'll never know how it will sound in your home until you hear it there. :)

Widget

Titanium Dome
01-27-2007, 10:53 PM
After being mostly into headphones the past few years I have started getting into speakers again.Having owned some JBL models in the past I decided to check out the new Venue line of speakers at Best Buy.I checked out the Stadium floorstander and was really impressed with its overall sound.For the money I thought it had a great sound.This was under less than ideal conditions(noise from other speakers,customers ect.)Has anybody heard these in a better enviroment.If so what did you think.

The Venue Stadium is the top of the line for the Venue Series, JBL's entry level consumer product. IMO, it's one of the best values in consumer audio, even better than the Northridge E Series was.

http://jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=STADIUM&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=BFS&ser=VEN

I've heard them in a better showroom environment, along with Polk, Boston, Infinity, and Paradigm. I thought they were better than the others, except for the JBL Studio L Series in the same room.

The Stadium has some key JBL innovations, some coming direct from JBL Pro products.

EOS Waveguide: Evenly disperses high frequencies throughout the room and eliminates the necessity of sitting in the "sweet spot," providing solid imaging throughout a large portion of the listening area.
Titanium Tweeters: Titanium is chosen because it is strong and light and the material with the greatest strength-to-weight ratio. Titanium holds its shape, doesn’t distort and can easily move at >54,000 times per second, producing crystal-clear highs.
Polyplas Reinforcement: PolyPlas is a polymer that provides additional stiffness and damping to the cone surface, providing the listener with tighter bass and extended low frequencies without break up and distortion.
SSP (Straight-Line Signal Path) Networks: This crossover design provides the shortest route from the input terminals to the transducers, minimizing signal loss and noise and ensuring a strong, precise signal arrives at each driver.
FreeFlow Ports: Flared ports deliver loud, clear sound, free from undesired boominess, distortion, and chuffing.

Widget is correct. Take them home and listen there. Return them if you're not satisfied.

IMO for the price, they're hard to beat, and they'll perform better than many of the dried-out, decaying, dusty old classic boxes that the vintage crowd adores. ;)

Nightbrace
01-27-2007, 11:32 PM

Welcome to Lansing Heritage Dennis! Please disregard Storm's comments, there are PLENTY of people here who know A LOT about newer JBL speakers... and you have definitely come to the RIGHT PLACE for all things audio...

I did not know that Best Buy is now carrying JBL, could this be a new trend? A consumer electronics store actually selling something that someone might want to buy? I haven't bought anything at Best Buy/Circuit City in the past 5 years for audio, so I guess I'm really out of the loop when it comes to consumer audio.

TiDome gave about the best advice that could possibly be given, it makes me want to go pick up a pair and try them myself... Good luck, and let us know how things work out...

If you are not liking how these speakers sound, there are a LOT of other options out there for you to consider, but based on what TiDome has described I think they will work out very well for you... Come back to us if you have any questions about how to set them up and position them properly...

Nightbrace
01-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Are you referring to these?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17005&type=page&_requestid=100243

Seems like a decent price, and definitely worth a try.

Nightbrace
01-27-2007, 11:39 PM
they'll perform better than many of the dried-out, decaying, dusty old classic boxes that the vintage crowd adores. ;)

Trying to ruffle a few feathers I take it?

Titanium Dome
01-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Trying to ruffle a few feathers I take it?

Me? :dont-know

Never. :no:

:rotfl:

Nightbrace
01-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Me? :dont-know

Never. :no:

:rotfl:

LOL :D , me neither :) .

dennis harmon
01-28-2007, 03:30 AM
Thanks guys.I got the impression that they could be very good speakers for the money,and Best Buys 30 day return policy will give me a chance to try them out.I dont rule out buying older model JBLs if the price is right and their in good condition.Right now I have some Boston Acoustic CR75 bookshelf speakers that are decent sounding but just to small for the room their in.Not enough soundstage or imaging for my taste.Im' thinking floorstanders might take care of that problem.Thaks for eveyones imput.

Nightbrace
01-28-2007, 04:32 AM
You are welcome.