PDA

View Full Version : Repair 18Ti crossover.

vettedrummer
01-26-2007, 11:05 AM
On one of my ( nicely priced before the big run started) 18Ti's the crossover seems to have come apart while in transit. The problem very simply is that those two things that look like shotgun shells (technical I am not in this case, I'm better at fixing the wood) that are tied together have come apart from the rest of the crossover. What type / kind of glue would be best to put them back on again? Thanks in advance for your help! Cheers, Frank

John
01-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Caps:p

Zilch
01-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Factory typically used hot melt glue, but I'd use RTV or the craft glue Paul C recommends.

[Which I haven't tried yet.... ;) ]

sourceoneaudio
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Hot glue works great, and it's non conductive. Totally safe. Use the high temp stuff and they will never fall of again. Also you don't have to be uniform/tidy with the spreading you can't see through the cabinet.

J/S-S1A :D

DavidF
01-26-2007, 06:40 PM
On one of my ( nicely priced before the big run started) 18Ti's the crossover seems to have come apart while in transit. The problem very simply is that those two things that look like shotgun shells (technical I am not in this case, I'm better at fixing the wood) that are tied together have come apart from the rest of the crossover. What type / kind of glue would be best to put them back on again? Thanks in advance for your help! Cheers, Frank

Are any of the wire leads unconnected, or is it that the wires are connected but the component is not glued down to the board?

DavidF

Nightbrace
01-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Hmm, now that you've got them out, why not try upgrading to 4406 networks :).

Nightbrace
01-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Do NOT use Hot glue, it may damage the capacitors and does not stick well to metal. Try E6000 by Eclectic Products. Aleene's Platinum Bond 7800 works well, too. I think Walmart still sells them.

sourceoneaudio
01-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Also I forgot to mention, don't use tons of hot glue it does not take much to do the job. If you are afraid of the heat issue another good way to re-attach the parts is to use clear silicone. No heat issues and it will hold the parts forever no matter what the material. Good luck with the fix.

J/S-S1A :D

4313B
01-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Do NOT use Hot glue, it may damage the capacitors and does not stick well to metal. Try E6000 by Eclectic Products. Aleene's Platinum Bond 7800 works well, too. I think Walmart still sells them.Hot Glue works just fine, been using it for 30 years. Only an idiot sticks the capacitor on the glue when it's too hot. Make sure you read the warning labels on the other stuff.

Nightbrace
01-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Only an idiot sticks the capacitor on the glue when it's too hot.

Look who your talking to here :). I have learned to protect myself from my own mistakes over the years :banghead: .

vettedrummer
01-27-2007, 05:47 AM
Thank you all for the input! By the way what would the 4406 crossover add to the sound? Cheers, Frank

4313B
01-27-2007, 09:38 AM
I've got a protoype pair of charge coupled 4406 networks...

spwal
01-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Look at the modle 19 xover help thread.

The magnificent paul c even shows you a picture of the glue he uses.

4313B
01-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Look at the modle 19 xover help thread.

The magnificent paul c even shows you a picture of the glue he uses.We know all about that glue. It stinks to high hell. :rotfl:

Zilch
01-27-2007, 12:46 PM
We know all about that glue. It stinks to high hell. :rotfl:Well, there we have it. It ain't the fiberglass stinking.

All together now:

"Will the circle
Be un-broken...."

4313B
01-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Well, there we have it. It ain't the fiberglass stinking.

All together now:

"Will the circle
Be un-broken...."Can you guys in CA even purchase that glue? Isn't pretty much everything that causes two-headed calves to spring forth banned there?

Zilch
01-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Probably not, but it's on my list to try, if available.

We can't buy oil-based paint or stain anymore, and I was reading yesterday that perchloroethylene for dry cleaning is being banned, without a viable substitute.

"The regulation by the California Air Resources Board will phase out the fluid next year, banning dry cleaners from buying machines that rely on the solvent. The state's 3,400 dry cleaners who now use it must get rid of machines that are 15 years or older by July 2010.

Although the air board did not endorse a substitute, the regulation would give cleaners a $10,000 incentive to buy a machine that uses carbon dioxide or what is known as a 'wet cleaning' system."

[We'll be "sending out" our cleaning, apparently.... :p ]

4313B
01-27-2007, 01:27 PM
[We'll be "sending out" our clothes, apparently.... :p ]Just outsource it. It's the American way. :p

JBL does some of their "lethal" stuff in AZ and let's those people suffer the consequences...

"The regulation by the California Air Resources Board will phase out the fluid next year, banning dry cleaners from buying machines that rely on the solvent. The state's 3,400 dry cleaners who now use it must get rid of machines that are 15 years or older by July 2010.

Although the air board did not endorse a substitute, the regulation would give cleaners a $10,000 incentive to buy a machine that uses carbon dioxide or a what is known as a 'wet cleaning' system."Well it sounds like some people are finally put their thinking caps on. This wanton destruction of the planet at all levels has to cease. These laws are only going to be inconvenient for those of us used to a different way. Those coming up will adapt.