PDA

View Full Version : 150 4C fakes

johnhb
12-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Interesting ebay post:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3068418332&category=32861

I have seen perfect labels and perfect rings that are used to make fake 150 4Cs. I have watched a fake sell on ebay for big money. I personally am amused and not annoyed. I tried a set of fakes in Hartsfields and a set of what I am fairly certain were original and could not tell the difference in sound. The fake I saw sell had the really old paper label on the spoke with the metal screw terminals. I want to see a pair on Antiques Roadshow as someones dreams are dashed. Who of you will be the expert?

Oldmics
12-28-2003, 10:58 PM
Hello johnhb
I sure wish I had a crack at that fake 150 you spoke of.
JBL did manufacture the 150 speaker with the early "spoke frame".These early models utilised the metal screw terminals and the paper identification label.Most of the paper identification labels have a date code for production that can be deciphered.It is my opinion that these early units were no longer seen after early 1956.This is when I believe the metal identification plate was introduced.
I believe that this infomercial listing on ebay could be some sort of prelude to a sale of 150 speakers.
As I said over in thread in the Off Topic forum-What's up with this? by JBL Dog,he is on the right trail-BUT-is not correct with all of his statements.
He may be fishing for our response to see HOW TO forge the 150 based on our critique.

Picture 1- is from the "Vintage Audio Traders" web site and those 150 speakers pictured are absolutly the real item.
Picture 2-are later units ,perhaps recones,due to the cleanleaness of the cones.The rear of these drivers must be seen before a determination can be made
Picture 3-shows a pair of fakes.
Picture 4 and to the right of picture 4 are again unidentifiable.His 8 hole comments are misleading.From the front there appears to be a place for 8 mounting screws on all of the 150 speakers.This is because the gaskets cutout for ALL 15" JBL products are for the 8 mounting screws.He is correct in the fact that the 150 is mounted by using only 4 of these places.Still the gasket cutouts lead you to believe that 8 mounting screws could be used.
Picture 5,6 and 9 are the same speaker-Again need more pictorial angles to view.I will comment and say that these are the units I would be wary of.There is a major difference between the 12 units now in my possession and that I just compared to these pictured speakers.
The pics of the Hartsfields-the blue cloth is a possible tip that these may be bogus enclosures.Plus no JBL emblem or decal on the front.
Skipping to the last picture-Interesting to note that all the units that I have DO NOT have the 150-102 as the cone number,nor are they the numbers on the original JBL recone kits.This cone number information also needs futher inspection as there may be more recent information availiable about these cone numbers.
I say get ready for a crop of 150s to hit the market soon-Bogus or not needs to be determined.
Sorry to be a bit vague on some of the information but as we all know the information gleamed from this site could be used for intensions that are not honorable.
Oldmics (Who would go as a roadshow adviser if the bucks were right)

Robh3606
12-29-2003, 10:12 AM
OK so do they have plain paper surrounds , paper surrounds that are doped or doped linen surrounds??? My old altecs 604C and 601 are doped linen. Both from the same time period. The Jensen 510 I just sold was plain paper. If you don't want to say in the forum could you PM me. Just curious what they were using. I would think linen as it is much more rugged than paper.

Thanks

Rob:)

subwoof
01-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Well, the prediction was right - they *are* being posted....note the pictures..

sub

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072518928&category=50597

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072518708&category=50597

Oldmics
01-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Those are the 32 ohm version.I have two pairs of the 32 ohm guys slated for installation into my "Harlan" cabinets.They are not consecutive but real close at 507,512,517 and 519.I doubt the seller will get his opening sales price on either set of speakers that he has listed.
Oldmics

boputnam
01-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by subwoof
Well, the prediction was right - they *are* being posted....note the pictures.. Yer, right, Sub...

Man, that is the most shameless promote, to-date. :scold: After literally weeks of hype and misrepresentation as being merely a much-needed (his/her claim) mentor here to educate 150-4C fans, he/she now posts the gems, at absurd valuations. We knew this was coming. :(

Creep... :mad: