PDA

View Full Version : Lancer55 tweeter help

dino520
01-20-2007, 03:35 AM
Guys..I have a pair of these cabs missing 1 tweeter. I was advised by a guy in a speaker repair shop(A Brown Soun in San Rafael, Ca.) that the part number for this tweeter is 035tia(and not available from JBL anymore). After doing some snooping around here, and on the internet..I`ve found references to an LE20. Are these the same item? I.E....if I see an LE20 on ebay..is it the right tweeter for my L55? They`re in the shop right now so I can`t open one up and look. And the shop is closed for the next several days as well..so they can`t check either. There is an LE20 on ebay right now that that he claims came out of a 1960s LE77..while my Lancer 55s date from the early to mid 70s. So I don`t wanna take a chance on this one unless one of you knowledgeable folks can verify that it`s appropriate for my L55 cab. I`d appreciate your help, so thanks in advance.
PS..I may crosspost this in another forum here to increase my chances of getting an answer. My email: [email protected]

johnaec
01-20-2007, 06:42 AM
The LE20 is the original tweeter, but no longer available from JBL - that's probably why the 035Tia was mentoned - I believe it was the last replacement alternative listed by JBL. The other possibility is that both tweeters were already replaced by 035Tia's and they're just trying to match it.

You really need to find which model the remaining good one is, and match it. The LE20 has a small black paper dome, while the 035Tia has a larger silver-colored metal dome. Both turn up on eBay fairly regularly. I actually have a pair of LE20's for sale, but I'm thinking eBay for them, since they both have brand new D8RLE20 replacement kits installed, which was not cheap, and I'd like to recover my costs, (about $150).

John.

Zilch
01-20-2007, 10:36 AM
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L55%20Lancer%20ts.pdf

dino520
01-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks Zilch..eureka then. So then..the LE20 *is* the speaker for the Lancer55 cab? And as I remember..the remaining tweeter has a black paper dome. Interestingly..I called another JBL authorized speaker repair shop (Orange County Speaker Repair)..and they gave me a different part number as a replacement: 052ti. I wonder if he was giving me a replacement for the 035tia replacement??? However, I`m certain that the tweeter in the cab is original. So it must be an LE20...therefore I can go for the LE20 on ebay that came out of 1960s Lancer77 cab. Right? Please confirm...and THANKs to all who responded!

Zilch
01-20-2007, 02:21 PM
I believe your original tweeters are LE20-1, per the data sheet.

Either 035tiA or 052ti would be an upgrade, in my opinion, though I'm not all that sure about using either down to 2 kHz. JBL implies it's O.K. with 035TiA, since it's the recommended replacement. I've never used them that low, only considered it.

If you want them "vintage," install a replacement LE20-1. The diaphragm (cone, actually) kits have been discontinued, but if you called a bunch of the service centers, you might locate one. Seems easier to buy the complete driver on eBay, or from a member here; they are plentiful.

I use L55 cabinets upside down and retuned as a compact woofer only. They have LE14H-3s in them right now....

dino520
01-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Zilch..I hate to seem like an ignoramus here(I am audio challenged)...but does that mean that an LE20 will not match up with the original LE20-1 in the other cab? That`s really all I`m looking for...to match the one I have.

Zilch
01-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Zilch..I hate to seem like an ignoramus here(I am audio challenged)...but does that mean that an LE20 will not match up with the original LE20-1 in the other cab? That`s really all I`m looking for...to match the one I have.You want LE20-1, according to the data sheet. That's what's plentiful.

There's a version with a screen dome, too, I know, but I'm not familiar with the part number distinction. Somebody else will have to help with that.

Seems you're feeling pressured to acquire the one presently on eBay. There'll be more. Find out what your other one actually is to match it. Call Audivex in Berkeley on Monday and see if he might have the factory kit to repair your original one....

johnaec
01-20-2007, 02:57 PM
I myself was using LE20 interchangeably with LE20-1. Mine are the LE20-1, that's all I've ever really seen.

John

dino520
01-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks alot Zilch..there is an LE20-1 on ebay that ends tomorrow. Owner says it came out of a Lancer cab. I need a replacement..I managed to lose the one I had that had been removed for a repair years ago. And Johnaec.. (atomic energy commission?) mine have the black paper dome.

johnaec
01-20-2007, 04:55 PM
And Johnaec.. (atomic energy commission?)Nope. :p It actually comes from a company I used to work for, AEC Technologies, (Architecture, Engineering, and Construction). I've used that username for close to 15 years, and am too lazy to try remembering anything else... :o:

John

dino520
01-20-2007, 06:34 PM
KingJames has joined this Lancer55 discussion in another forum and states categorically that the L55 requires an 035ti-A. What, oh what, do I do now? I ask you:blink: .

Thom
01-20-2007, 07:09 PM
I'd start out with a deep breath or two. Unless you have a pressing date that this has to be done by, see what you have in them. If you only want to replace 1, then get whatever the good one is. If you don't mind buying two then you have many choices. There is nothing that is the only tweeter that came in a lancer 55 if it's the speaker I think it is. If you have money and want it to sound good buy a pair of 175dlh and associated crossover. It came that way too. And, it is an entirely different animal with it. If you think that right now on ebay is your chance to get a tweeter and you can't let it get away, there will be many more chances. The tweeter that I've seen the most is the one with the shiny screen over it and I've been led to believe that is just a different version of the LE20 but I've never verified that. People part those and L100's every day so stopping to catch your breath and make sure you get what you want won't hurt you a bit unless you have sold them and have to deliver them by a certain date or something.

dino520
01-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Thom..actually there is a time frame here. Right now the cabs and the speakers in them are in a shop (A Brown Soun') about 40 miles from where I live. I talked to them last Thursday and asked them to take a look for the part#..and they were getting ready for a show(they're marketing their own speaker brand:Tone Tubby's)..and didn`t have the time..blah blah blah. Kinda blew me off. They seem pretty disinterested on the whole about the job. The cabs are there for a refoam on one of the woofers. Anyway..if I can get the right tweeter in time..they can install it for me while doing the refoam over the next couple of weeks. The speakers have already been there almost 3 weeks..and it`ll be several more before I can get them back..I`d just like to save some time if possible. Worse..they seem to be the only speaker repair outfit in the SF bay area currently..so it seems I don`t have any other choice.

kingjames
01-20-2007, 07:45 PM
I was wrong,the le20-1 was the original tweeter but JBL says to replace with the 035tiA. My Bad!:banghead:

KingJames has joined this Lancer55 discussion in another forum and states categorically that the L55 requires an 035ti-A. What, oh what, do I do now? I ask you:blink: .

Zilch
01-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Worse..they seem to be the only speaker repair outfit in the SF bay area currently..so it seems I don`t have any other choice.Go pick up your speakers and take them to Audivex in Berkeley. Daniel will be happy to have your business. Call him first. 527-1391

He is an Authorized Service Center for both Harman Consumer and JBL Pro lines, with over 20 years experience. He'll have them done for you toot sweet.... :thmbsup:

Bottom of left column here:

http://www.jblproservice.com/service/california.html

dino520
01-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Cool! Thanks Zilch..'Cause I ain't diggin' the treatment I'm getting at A Brown Soun...I could go on about some other issues with them, but pfffft...Does Audivex do refoams?

Zilch
01-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Yes, absolutely, Audivex does refoams, but you gotta ask, since the factory recommended repair procedure is a full recone.

He's about a mile from me. If you want to come here first, I'll go up there with you, as I need to pick up some parts for johnaec. Send me a PM if you'd like to do that, and we'll get coordinated....

Thom
01-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Thom..actually there is a time frame here. Right now the cabs and the speakers in them are in a shop (A Brown Soun') about 40 miles from where I live. I talked to them last Thursday and asked them to take a look for the part#..and they were getting ready for a show(they're marketing their own speaker brand:Tone Tubby's)..and didn`t have the time..blah blah blah. Kinda blew me off. They seem pretty disinterested on the whole about the job. The cabs are there for a refoam on one of the woofers. Anyway..if I can get the right tweeter in time..they can install it for me while doing the refoam over the next couple of weeks. The speakers have already been there almost 3 weeks..and it`ll be several more before I can get them back..I`d just like to save some time if possible. Worse..they seem to be the only speaker repair outfit in the SF bay area currently..so it seems I don`t have any other choice.

You don't need to be any kind of a tech at all to replace the tweeter if you are replacing it in kind. JBL used spring loaded binding posts. You push the button and pull out the wire. The posts will be black and red. The wires probably will not, so have a piece of black tape handy and a piece of red tape and mark the wires as you remove them from the posts. Wood screws is what holds the tweeter in the cabinet. You do this from the front. You don't have to take any panels off. If you can change batteries in your kids toys or if that doesn't apply you get the idea. Replacing the foam was one thing. There was a chance to screw up there but replacing the tweeter is pretty simple and requires no special skill. Also no mater how good these guys may be it sounds like you and them have not developed a rapport. Unless I misread your writing I would try someone else next time. There is no substitute for making a customer feel important and it sounds like they have left you with some anx. I'm not suggesting anything wrong with them but if you don't feel warmer by the time you're done they might just be to busy for you. Apparently Zilch was posting as I was writing. There are too many good places (such as where he is sending you)to deal with someone your not happy with usually you wont make them happy either.

dino520
01-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Agreed...they didn't make me feel...special:p !

Zilch I won`t be able to pick up those cabs till the middle of next week. Er..have any lower back problems?:D

Zilch
01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Er..have any lower back problems?:DIt's easier once the drivers are removed from the cabinets.... :p

57BELAIRE
01-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I'd start out with a deep breath or two. Unless you have a pressing date that this has to be done by, see what you have in them. If you only want to replace 1, then get whatever the good one is. If you don't mind buying two then you have many choices. There is nothing that is the only tweeter that came in a lancer 55 if it's the speaker I think it is. If you have money and want it to sound good buy a pair of 175dlh and associated crossover. It came that way too. And, it is an entirely different animal with it. If you think that right now on ebay is your chance to get a tweeter and you can't let it get away, there will be many more chances. The tweeter that I've seen the most is the one with the shiny screen over it and I've been led to believe that is just a different version of the LE20 but I've never verified that. People part those and L100's every day so stopping to catch your breath and make sure you get what you want won't hurt you a bit unless you have sold them and have to deliver them by a certain date or something.

The factory supplied tweeter for the 55 is indeed the LE20-1. The LE20-1 with the screen has a different housing ...the baffle would have to be modified to accomodate it so stick with the former.

These tweeters are always showing up on eBay so keep an eye out.

The L55 was never offered with a compression driver so a baffle mod
would be necessary if you went that direction.

Good luck....with those glass tops and 3-D grilles, they're pretty cool.:D

dino520
01-24-2007, 01:05 PM
I got my LE20-1 on ebay over the weekend..$42 + s&h. I`d like to thank everyone who responded here for their advice and info. And thanks Zilch for the tip about Audivex!

dino520
02-04-2007, 02:51 AM
To anybody still interested in this thread: I need another LE20-1:biting: ..if anyone has one..or might know of someone who has! Until and unless...I`ll be watching ebay. TIA...