PDA

View Full Version : 2203H woofers w/ C8R121A kit

Nightbrace
01-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Was lucky enough to come across a set of 2203H's awhile ago and had them refurbished using JBL's C8R121A kit. Stop me if I'm wrong, but aren't they now sonically equivalent to 121H's? As they are now, how will they compare to the factory 2203H's? I've never had the pleasure of hearing a factory set, but the specs looked great for my EN3 cabs..

If this is true I am a little upset as JBL failed to mention that the sonic character of the 2203H would be compromised with this kit, they did mention that the correct kit is no longer available and that this s the only way to adequately repair them, so I figured, its JBL, just would have been nice to know that the sonic character was changed. No one has yet to confirm this, so I guess there's some hope that they're still the same.

soundboy
01-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Giskard is the expert...but I have owned more than one pair of 2203A and H...the 121H has a stiffer suspension, heavier mass ring (???)from what I have read, and works better in a small sealed box, as opposed to the 2203H working in a small (1.5-2.8) ported box. I am sure you could port the 121H as well....I am also sure Giskard will pipe in....they are both great (killer) punchy small sub type woofers....better a 121 kit than an aftermarket kit, anyday... IMHO. I think the sound would be very similar, as the cone assemblies are essentially identical other than the stiffer spider on the 121...and YES yours are the sonic equal to a 121H...both use the exact same frame and magnet assembly...the old EN3 cabs were made for 2203's....I have the old JBL brochure for them....I am sure your 121H's would still work quite well with some tuning modification....better than, say, just about any other 12" on the planet, past or present!!

Nightbrace
01-19-2007, 08:53 PM
These drivers are in a larger ported box (again the EN3) and they go down flat to 23 Hz with very little drop off below 60 Hz and are running at full steam at 100 Hz all the way up to at least., They just have very nice and smooth bass and sound very realistic without being too punchy or boomy.. I have no complaints at all with them really.

"Better than any 12" woofers on the planet?" I highly doubt that, just was trying my best to re-create the "stock" set-up with whats currently out there. The 128H and 2214H's actually spec'd out a bit better with the stock EN3 porting, but none went as low as the 2203's There's a graph on here somewhere posted a LONG time ago with various drivers in these cabs that I think Zilch ran. I started off with the 128H and didn't like the boominess and punchiness, sounded too over the top in these cabs (they needed a bit of filtering to work just right, and my crossovers would have had to have been substantially modified.) So I used them until I could find a set of 2203's to try. These drivers fit the bill quite nicely and are as nearly balanced as the L300's I had in the low end, just interested to know what the differences would be in the sound if I could have gotten the correct rebuild kit..