PDA

View Full Version : Removing Lansalloy

herbman75
01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/esiefkes/MISC/LE10wooferfoamcracked.jpg

Is there any type of chemical to soften up this stuff? This lansalloy on my Lancer 66's is so stiff I am afraid I am going to throw the voice coil out of whack when I try and remove it. Other rotted foam I would just rip out w/my finger and remove the rest w/rubbing alcohol - this stuff looks more tricky.

Help!

grumpy
01-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Cut and carefully scrape/slice... or pay someone to... or get recones.
I've done all three... all can be valid depending on what you're goals are.

-grumpy

herbman75
01-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Does it stick to the back of the cone?

I don't know if I can take the woofer out.

If it is soldered in like the tweeters I am ewscrayed. I was hoping I could lie it flat on its back and run a 30hz tone through it while it dried.

I suck @ soldering.

SUPERBEE
01-19-2007, 06:10 PM
I thought Lansaloy was a creme color?:drive:

loach71
01-19-2007, 06:43 PM
I've used methylene chloride to dissolve Lans-aloy.
This is nasty stuff -- :barf:
Use with plenty of ventilation (or a respirator), eye protection and nitrile gloves.

Zilch
01-19-2007, 07:28 PM
I thought Lansaloy was a creme color?:drive:Looks like they were spray painted black, Bee.

That's what's cracking radially, the paint.

[On the back, they're likely creme.... :p ]

I don't know if I can take the woofer out.Can't do it just from the front. :no:

herbman75
01-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Can't do it just from the front. :no:

What is the proper method?

loach71
01-20-2007, 11:28 AM
The surround is glued to the back of the cone. I would carefully use a scalpel to cut the Lans-aloy surround from the cone. I would first remove the speaker from the cabinet before you do anything.

Once the speaker is out of the cabinet, and the Lans-aloy has been cut from the cone and the frame, you can use a Q-Tip soaked in methylene chloride to dissolve the remnants of the glue on the backside of the cone and the frame.

The key to success is this procedure is patience -- If you get frustrated, drop your tools and listen to some music for a while...;)

Zilch
01-20-2007, 11:29 AM
What is the proper method?Remove the driver from the cabinet so you can work on it.

I believe you'll find the surround is attached to the rear of the cone edge....

Guy in WNY
01-20-2007, 03:06 PM
In the last year, I refoamed 3-15" woofers, 2-6" speakers, and 2-12" woofers. I NEVER thought it woud be so EASY!!!! I wish I had tried this years ago. Just take your time and go slow. I bought laquer thinner, mineral spirts, and MEK solvents. Which solvent you use depends on what glue was used. Try it out and find one that works. And use a super sharp xacto knife or other blade.
But do give it a shot. I'm sure you will be able to do it.

herbman75
01-22-2007, 09:23 AM
I too have recently discovered the joy of re-foaming. Sad to think about how many great speakers have met their end because the owner thoght they were "blown" due to foam rot.

I am going to keep a thread going with a play-by-play of pics so you guys can enjoy my insanity and frustration.

Soon it begins...