PDA

View Full Version : L212 Questions

mike
12-25-2003, 07:58 PM
I am looking to purchase an L212 system and I have a few questions for those of you familiar with this system.

1) Are the original factory shipping cartons sturdy enough to protect the speakers from the likes of UPS and Fed Ex?

2) Is the amplifier used in the subwoofer a reliable design or is it troublesome?

3) Can the satellite speakers be used full range without the subwoofer?

I know these speakers have their limitations but I've always wanted to own a pair.
Thanks,
Mike

boputnam
12-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by mike
1) Are the original factory shipping cartons sturdy enough to protect the speakers from the likes of UPS and Fed Ex?
Man, THAT is a toughy. JBL woulda thought so, but there's a litany of bad experiences here to the contrary. At a minimum, I'd double box (larger boxes with padding between as the outside).

For the rest, our resident L212 guru is Giskard... :yes:

Robh3606
12-25-2003, 09:17 PM
"1) Are the original factory shipping cartons sturdy enough to protect the speakers from the likes of UPS and Fed Ex?"

I am with Bo you have to double box. I got a 4655 from the tent that someone put a broom stick or similar projectile through the box. Went right through to the woofer cone. Just got a box yesterday form Parts Express with 10 space rack rails missing from it. Looking at the box there was a whole. Damn things fell out. Both were single boxes. Even if you crate them they can still get slammed. Fell Lucky?? Every time you ship it's a crap shoot. Most of the time you win in this game but you never know.

Rob:)

4313B
12-25-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by mike
2) Is the amplifier used in the subwoofer a reliable design or is it troublesome?

3) Can the satellite speakers be used full range without the subwoofer?The amplifier was known to have capacitor issues. The 121A/121H is easily overdriven with today's source material, especially DVD's. I think they are still quite nice when used in multiples though. I find a pair to be the minimum and four to be extremely impressive and effective. I used Adcom amplifers to drive them instead of the stock amplifier.

I've used the satellites full range quite often with music. They are "good" down to around 70 Hz, similar to the small JBL monitors such as the 4406, with the little 3-inch voice coiled 8-inch bass driver having excellent transient response. I've used the satellites with Citation 7.4 subs and JBL B380 subs to good effect as well. It's a real toss up between dual Citation 7.4's and dual or quad B212's. The B212's go deeper with better transient response but the Citation 7.4's are more efficient and can take more power.

mike
12-26-2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys.