PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Rack Worthy of Consideration

HipoFutura
01-11-2007, 06:59 PM
This topic comes up from time to time, and I spent the last year or so hoping to find an inspiring rack/stand for my gear. Equally important to me is function and aesthetics. I've seen many nice factory pieces as well as those designed and built by forum members. Have considered building my own design.

I think I have finally found the piece. Any thoughts?

Link: http:www.racksandstands.com/BDI-8022-BD1077.html

Don

johnaec
01-11-2007, 07:18 PM
That'd be a great match for the Everest DD66000's! (Nice curves!) But great with most other stuff, too!

John

Titanium Dome
01-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Very nice. Looks flexible and convenient.

SUPERBEE
01-12-2007, 12:07 AM
I prefer something vintage that fits the look of the gear

Steve Schell
01-13-2007, 03:45 AM
Hpofutura, that stand is certainly a looker; it is really beautiful. I am not sure that a construction of glass and steel panels would be the best for sound though. If the parts of a stand have high Q resonant modes in the audio band those vibrations might make it into the sound system.

Mapleshade sells stands made from maple planks and what looks like sections of pipe. Not as beautiful, in fact some of their stuff is pretty clunky looking. There may be something to their rationale though, worth a read anyway.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/maple_main.php

spwal
01-14-2007, 08:13 AM
edit

my friend had a cheap knock off of this stand, it was big and all those glass levels really collected alot of dust. why not get something with a few iolated levels, i mean why not if you are spending all this cash.

he threw out the old one (i wouldnt take it) and he got a nice new tv/av stand on ebay shipped for under 350.

HipoFutura
01-14-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm not really concerned about the rack/shelves having an adverse affect on the sound quality of my system. I will never be able to hear the difference!

Dust collecting on the shelves is a good point. However, I have eight pieces of gear (three are rack mount, two are tube mono-blocks). I want the shelf space to spread things out.

This will be a highly visible part of my family room. It has too look as good as the rest of the house. Don

Robh3606
01-14-2007, 09:32 AM
One of biggest pet peeves is ventilation. That is a great design with sides wide open and the cable tree's down the back. You are going to have to dust it but more importantly it won't cook your gear. Will it fit everything?? You may want to get something with one open space so you could add something latter on. It looks like it's short enough to drop a turntable on top of which is great if you have one.

Rob:)