PDA

View Full Version : Tired of lurking

www.records
01-11-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't know how I missed this site. I found it less than a week ago and have been lurking. Thought it was time I say something.

I am not a very technical type, so alot of stuff flies over my head. But I am learning. I probably won't post often, but will be in lurk mode often.

I lucked onto a pair of Altec Model 17's 604-8g in factory oak veneer 620 cabs at a church yardsale about 18 months ago. One had a bad HF diaphram, which I replaced thru Bill at GPA. Up to that point all I had were SS vintage receivers to power them, which was ok, but I wanted to try them with tubes. About a year ago I found a local tech (has LOTS of vintage gear) who I bought a nice pair of McIntosh MC40 monos from and have been in musical bliss ever since.

I am mostly (not 100%) an analog guy, having 2 turntables. A modded Thorens TD160 w/ Linn LVX arm/ Denon 110 and a Technics SP-25 with a Goldring 1042. My CD player is a Marantz CC65se.

Anyway, thought I would let myself be known. I doubt I can answer many questions that people may have. But I might come up with some questions of my own from time to time.

Steve

Oh, and I have had the pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with a character that goes by moldyoldy. It is true that he is pretty moldy, but he isn't really that old. He just looks and smells like he is.:D

4313B
01-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Oh, and I have had the pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with a character that goes by moldyoldy. It is true that he is pretty moldy, but he isn't really that old. He just looks and smells like he is.:DHey! We appreciate the heads up! :rotfl:

Gary L
01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Welcome WRecords. Might have run in to you over on AK and it is OK to be a member of both.

Nice to get the low-down on Moldy!:p

I imagine Giskard aint the prettiest sight either:D

Gary

moldyoldy
01-11-2007, 02:11 PM
....snip...He just looks and smells like he is.:D

Textbook cleanness envy, Mommy scrubbed him with a brillo pad.

Watch this guy, he wears a surgical mask and gloves to change an album. Carries papers stating he's harmless. Hasn't had an episode since release.:p

www.records
01-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Textbook cleanness envy, Mommy scrubbed him with a brillo pad.

Watch this guy, he wears a surgical mask and gloves to change an album. Carries papers stating he's harmless. Hasn't had an episode since release.:p

The first time moldyoldy pulled into my driveway, I thought he was here to repo my trailer. The women and children hid and the dogs went crazy.

Other than that he looks kinda human.:blink:

www.records
01-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Gary, yeah, I am a member at AK too, along with the AudioAsylum. Hang out almost exclusively in vinyl over there. Seem to meet some good folks wherever I hang my hat.

Thanks for the welcome!

Gary L
01-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Nice to have you visiting here.
Lots of good folks in all the sites mentioned, you just have to sepreate the wheat from the chaff.

Gary

sheltiedave
01-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Man, dubdubdub, they even let you in here? Sheesh:applaud:

www.records
01-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey Dave!! Good to see ya. Yeah, they don't seem very picky about who they let in the door. Most places I try to go results in "access denied".

Is St. Louis staying away from the ice storm?

Rex Everything
01-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey Dave!! Good to see ya. Yeah, they don't seem very picky about who they let in the door. Most places I try to go results in "access denied".

Is St. Louis staying away from the ice storm?

Unfortunately we are not. Not as bad as last time, yet. There are several without power though.

Glad to see you made it over here and that you are a fellow Altec guy.

www.records
01-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Rex, I hope you guys don't get anything like you did about a month or so ago. I live in Joplin and so far we still have power, but the lights have been flickering, which is not a good sign. The limbs and powerlines are sagging and we are still getting freezing rain. Not good!!

My brother-in-law lives in Belleville and the last storm up that way had them without power for a week. Lets hope this isn't a repeat of that mess.

herbman75
01-13-2007, 04:49 PM
www.records - I think I have "seen" you over @ AK.

welcome... we've been expecting you...

Rex Everything
01-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Rex, I hope you guys don't get anything like you did about a month or so ago. I live in Joplin and so far we still have power, but the lights have been flickering, which is not a good sign. The limbs and powerlines are sagging and we are still getting freezing rain. Not good!!

My brother-in-law lives in Belleville and the last storm up that way had them without power for a week. Lets hope this isn't a repeat of that mess.

I sure hope it's not like the last one. We were without power here for 5 days and 7 days in the summer due to windstorm.

I know we have that wave that is hitting you now on it's way. Lets hope for the best.

SEAWOLF97
01-13-2007, 07:33 PM
I know we have that wave that is hitting you now on it's way. Lets hope for the best.

ITS BEEN BELOW freezing a couple of days here in Portland, smatterings of snow still on the ground. havnt been too far away from the woodstove all day , happily the big speakers flank the stove :)

Titanium Dome
01-13-2007, 08:54 PM
They look great.

www.records
01-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Cozy setup you have Seawolf. Not a bad way to sit out some winter weather I am sure.

It looks we might be getting a break from the ice for a while, according to our local weather. But they are saying 4-6" of snow tomorrow on top of the ice. Several have lost power in the area, but (knock on a woodie) we are still with power. The lights have been flickering all evening, which can't be a good sign.

SEAWOLF97
01-13-2007, 10:18 PM
They look great.

thanx .... they sound even better than they look :bouncy:

as a reference point...the GF clock is 6 ft 10 in.

www.records
01-13-2007, 10:46 PM
I love LARGE dynamic speakers. Yep, truly I do.

What kind of speakers are those? I am not good at IDing very many speakers. They sure look nice and I will take your word that they sound as good as they look.

JBL Dog
01-14-2007, 02:18 AM
Where do you live in Missouri, www.records?

johnaec
01-14-2007, 08:06 AM
What kind of speakers are those?http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13871

John

www.records
01-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Where do you live in Missouri, www.records? (http://www.records?)

JBLd, I live in Joplin.

Ohms, that what I thought, but didn't want to look TOTALLY stupid.:blink:

Ken Pachkowsky
01-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Have not seen a pair of those since the 70's. They were somewhat esoteric in there day.

Welcome to the forum.

Ken

sheltiedave
01-14-2007, 12:51 PM
WWW, we had a 1/4 inch of ice the first morning, and then missed the ice totally this morn.

JBL Dog, if you know anything about access into a C40, I REALLY need some guidance. I can't see any way to get in from the front side, and I have pulled both back boards off without any luck.

10 Watt Street
01-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Take a look at:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1957-c40.htm

SEAWOLF97
01-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Have not seen a pair of those since the 70's. They were somewhat esoteric in there day.

Welcome to the forum.

Ken

from the web

The Ohm F was the most popular of the first generation Walsh speakers. It used a 12'' inverted omnidirectional driver operating from 35 - 17,000 Hz. The Ohm Fs were internationally recognized as ''one of the best...if... not the best...speaker in the world''. It received rave reviews from as far away as Australia and Thailand as well as throughout Europe and America.

sheltiedave
01-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks, ten watt. I figured out which element the spreader is, and got into the front. Yehaw!

SEAWOLF97
01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Cozy setup you have Seawolf. Not a bad way to sit out some winter weather I am sure.

thats exactly what I did today with 5 in. of new snow on the ground. I've decided to break my "new speakers of the month" psychosis. These OHMs are going to be the final pair. keepers.

With 4412s for the B set. dont know now what to do with the beautiful 4410s. Too pretty to sell. keep in reserve, I guess. :blink: