PDA

View Full Version : The Making of Loadspeakers

Rolf
01-09-2007, 08:46 AM
After some years on this forum, (was a member before this "new" one) I do not understand why some of the members has not started a loudspeaker company.

All the know-how presented with qs, ts and a lot of other specifications witch does not mean anything to me, and not to forget those who build beautiful cabinets.

Why have you people not started a company? I am sure that this company would have been more successful than most others (like Wilson) because the prices would have been "down to earth".

I challenge you skilled people (you know who you are) ... what is your answer?

SEAWOLF97
01-09-2007, 09:08 AM
I agree with you , Rolf , although I think that when you turn PASSION into PRODUCTION that it now becomes WORK.

Zilch
01-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Why have you people not started a company? I am sure that this company would have been more successful than most others (like Wilson) because the prices would have been "down to earth".

1) It's a pain in the ass.

2) Marketing.

3) Competition.

4) It's a pain in the ass.

5) Production facilities.

6) Costs skyrocket once you move out of the garage and hire people.

7) It's a pain in the ass.

Hoerninger
01-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Rolf,

I do not have the qualifying only the interest (which can be helpful sometimes):
Looking around for around 40 years, MANY came up
and MANY, MANY are gone. :blink:

Steve Schell
01-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Rolf, it has been said that the best way to become a millionaire is to start with two million and go into the loudspeaker business. Despite this a friend and I have founded Cogent True-To-Life Loudspeakers Inc., a California corporation.

We have been in intensive (and expensive!) development of our drivers and systems for three years now. Some coverage of our exhibit at THE Show in Las Vegas a year ago can be found here:

http://www.audiofederation.com/blog/archives/46

Titanium Dome
01-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Rolf, it has been said that the best way to become a millionaire is to start with two million and go into the loudspeaker business. Despite this a friend and I have founded Cogent True-To-Life Loudspeakers Inc., a California corporation.

We have been in intensive (and expensive!) development of our drivers and systems for three years now. Some coverage of our exhibit at THE Show in Las Vegas a year ago can be found here:

http://www.audiofederation.com/blog/archives/46

...And what's the time to market?

Steve Schell
01-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi TD,

We're in the market already... sort of. We've made a few sales, by personal contact and word of mouth. I am working on our web site now, part of our world domination strategy. We have demoed at four trade shows, though we are taking a breather from Las Vegas this year.

We are also supplying new, improved performance diaphragms and replacement field coils for the classic RCA MI-1428B and MI-1443 compression drivers. We feel it is part of our mission to help keep the remaining examples of these remarkable drivers singing.

We are now working on filling a current need for about twenty of our midrange and bass drivers. Beyond that we will have to gauge demand and order parts accordingly after our site goes up.