PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong With This Picture, Mine Are The Same Way

toddalin
01-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Look at the picture and tell me how JBL quality control can let this happen. My pair are exactly the same way.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/81/90/036c_12.JPG

Robh3606
01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Hello Toddalin

If you mean the alignment of the back cover and screw holes for the horn I don't get it.

Rob:)

johnaec
01-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Extra 3-hole taps for 1" horns? Weird!

John

toddalin
01-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Hello Toddalin

If you mean the alignment of the back cover and screw holes for the horn I don't get it.

Basically, yes. Note that relative to the horn mounting holes, the input terminals are clocked 90 degrees different on the two drivers. Mine are also like this and I thought that maybe someone had been in there, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So, when the horn is mounted, the terminals sit differently relative to the horn. :blink:

4313B
01-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I always found the LF transducers with the input terminals at a "45" instead of a "90" especially irritating. In fact, I refuse to buy a 1400 Array because the input terminals on the LE14H-3 are at a "45".

Tim Rinkerman
01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
And James B. might have asked, How does this affect the sound?

Robh3606
01-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Basically, yes. Note that relative to the horn mounting holes, the input terminals are clocked 90 degrees different on the two drivers. Mine are also like this and I thought that maybe someone had been in there, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Well it really doesn't mean a whole lot. Who cares if the terminals are off. What sets how the cover goes on is the top plate and/or phase plug. Which ever one has the key cut for the return wire on the coil is what determines the diaphram orientation. The phase plug and magnet and throat are all symetrical if I remember right except for the VC key/notch if there is one.

edgewound
01-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Look at the picture and tell me how JBL quality control can let this happen. My pair are exactly the same way.

Clearly one is a left side driver and one is a right side driver.

I think you scored big time with a coveted mirror imaged pair.:thmbsup: :applaud:

toddalin
01-05-2007, 08:09 PM
And James B. might have asked, How does this affect the sound?

Well, if the wires are able to reach the terminals on one horn, but not the other, this could have a very deleterious effect on the sound. :p

Actually, I see it as more of an aestetics and a concern for the product you are producing issue. If you went to buy a new car, and the bumper wasn't lined up so that you see a big gap on one side, it may not affect its performance, but would you pass on it for one that fit right?

When I produce a document, I like all of my margins to line up, even if it has no impact on the analysis.

Maron Horonzakz
01-06-2007, 07:06 AM
So cut the wires a inch longer..There are alot of thing more serious to niggle about..;)

toddalin
01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
So cut the wires a inch longer..There are alot of thing more serious to niggle about..;)

You miss the point, its attention to detail that sets the great apart from the not so great and mediocre. When one pays the JBL premium, the attention to detail (or lack there of) should not be an issue.

Clocking woofers differently is even far worse! If one uses the regular screw holes, rather than the "mounts," you could end up with one speaker with the leads (that show from the front of the speaker) facing down, while the other would be cocked off at an angle.

Yes, this bothers me on my 2205/2235s, but was never an issue with the D130s and 130As.

glen
01-06-2007, 10:43 PM
. . . My pair are exactly the same way.

Well, clearly you need to track down the owner of the drivers in the picture and swap one of your drivers with him/her so you can both have matched pairs!
:cheers:

Robh3606
01-06-2007, 10:49 PM
You miss the point, its attention to detail that sets the great apart from the not so great and mediocre. When one pays the JBL premium, the attention to detail (or lack there of) should not be an issue.

I understand what your saying however I think in a way your are missing the point. These are loudspeakers. You pay the premium for the driver to driver consistency in how they sound. If how they were oriented affected how they sounded they would all be the same. It's just a mechanical assembly issue not a sonic one. The idea is to put the money where it counts most.

4313B
01-06-2007, 11:25 PM
You miss the point, its attention to detail that sets the great apart from the not so great and mediocre.OMG! Could I have a field day with that statement! :applaud:

That's like handing me a case of hand grenades and no rules of engagement.

Don? Hold me back! :rotfl:

Maron Horonzakz
01-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Giskard....Wait a second , I saw him first....

4313B
01-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Giskard....Wait a second , I saw him first....OK :)

Maron Horonzakz
01-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Uh what are the rules of engagement on this thread??? How vial can I get?? Can I start with Turkey or ramp up to Dumb Shit....Or do i have to keep it non personal????? Like....obsessive Im OK your drivers are not. Or Im OK your drivers or sick..;)

Zilch
01-07-2007, 11:27 AM
"Vile" would be correct.

"Vial" predated the baggie.

[Todd ain't gonna take no crap that's not spelled correctly, I guaranTEE.... :p ]

toddalin
01-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Uh what are the rules of engagement on this thread??? How vial can I get?? Can I start with Turkey or ramp up to Dumb Shit....Or do i have to keep it non personal????? Like....obsessive Im OK your drivers are not. Or Im OK your drivers or sick..;)

So you are saying that aesthetics have no basis in hifi :barf: ???

Not eveyone mounts their horn in their cabinets and the orientation of the pole terminals is certainly noticable in these cases.

Robh3606
01-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Not eveyone mounts their horn in their cabinets and the orientation of the pole terminals is certainly noticable in these cases.

JBL use a 3 hole bolt patern on the 1" horns. Why couldn't you just rotate the driver on the horn so the terminals are in the same place?? Like in the picture??

toddalin
01-07-2007, 12:47 PM
JBL use a 3 hole bolt patern on the 1" horns. Why couldn't you just rotate the driver on the horn so the terminals are in the same place??

Spacing doesn't work out that way with all horns.

Robh3606
01-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Spacing doesn't work out that way with all horns.

What spacing??? The 2307 and all it's kin are round. Something like a 2344 you can rotate it anyway you want. The 2 hole I can see a problem but the 3??

Maron Horonzakz
01-07-2007, 07:17 PM
I remember a friend of mine complained the crincle finish on his 2307 horns were not the same. Things like that really bothered him. He finally killed himself....Would you like me to miss spell more words for you? I,m not makeing fun of you..But thats how we script our lives. Its only a reproduction system to play back music...Not even the real thing.;)

Mike Caldwell
01-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Hello
Someone just did not pay attention when they put the back cap back on the driver most likely after changing a diaphragm. Depending on the orientation of the internal wires they'll go on a couple of ways. Soundwise no difference, as long as the wires are not touching the diaphragm!

Mike Caldwell

Mr. Widget
01-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Someone just did not pay attention when they put the back cap back on the driver most likely after changing a diaphragm.That was my guess, but I have never used any of the ferrite drivers.

On my TAD 4003s, the only way they will mount on the matching TAD TH-4003 horn, the driver must be at 45°... it does bug me... but as soon as the music plays, who cares.

Widget

Tom Brennan
01-08-2007, 07:59 AM
As long as they don't have Radian diaphragms who cares how the posts point?

Say, those aren't steel posts are they?

Mike Caldwell
01-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Hello
If you are referring to the push terminal / post being made of steel they are not. They are nickel plated brass, the spring inside would be steel. Brass is probably used because of being a better conductor that for any magnetic effects. The screws holding them to the back covers could be steel or plated brass, I've seen both. The screws holding the diaphragm are plated brass on all of the older alnico drivers and I have seen both brass and steel screws on the newer ceramic drivers. I think the brass screws were used so they would not slip out of your fingers and launch into the diaphragm from the magnetic pull. On the bullet and slot tweeters screws that hold the phase plug in the alnico models are normally brass and steel screws in the newer ceramic models. This may be because the screw went directly through the alnico magnet and on the ceramic models the magnet is on the outside of the voice coil rather than inside the voice coil on the alnico models......or they saved a few pennies on the new models and just used a steel screw.

Mike Caldwell