PDA

View Full Version : Something you don't see everyday

Rex Everything
01-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Check it out....STACKED ALTEC VALENCIAS! :applaud:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ampegmang/mancave.jpg

I went ahead and stacked em up so I could have a listen before I fixed the horn mount. I've only had them on for about 10 minutes now so no reports yet other than they work. I'm gonna let em "warm up" for another couple minutes before I hit them w/ a bit of "Dark Side Of The Moon". Then one of my favorite radio programs comes on the mighty KSHE at 9 so I'll be giving them a work out from 9-12 tonight. Do a little a/bn' w/ the 846B's there on top of if I get adventurous

Storm
01-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Rex -

I doubt there will be much competition when you put on Dark Side of The Moon. The 846Bs will out test the 846As - easy.

Yummm....to think of what that sound will be - makes me want to go run into my room and put on Pink Floyd and crank those bad boys up!

Can't wait for the comparison and your thoughts.

;)

-Storm

Tom Brennan
01-02-2007, 09:15 PM
When I stopped smoking pot I lost all interest in Pink Floyd music. Really.

Rex, why not scrap both sets of cabinets and build vertical arrays; a pair of 15s with an 806-811 in between them?

moldyoldy
01-02-2007, 09:21 PM
.....Rex, why not scrap both sets of cabinets and build vertical arrays; a pair of 15s with an 806-811 in between them?

:applaud:

CONVERGENCE
01-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Rex, why not scrap both sets of cabinets and build vertical arrays; a pair of 15s with an 806-811 in between them?

Try with horn on top.

Rex Everything
01-02-2007, 09:51 PM

I don't think I'll ever tire of the Floyd. I like it all from the earliest stuff w/ Syd to the Division Bell and all points inbetween :)

Your idea here sounds very good to me. As I was setting there listening I turned on the 846B's w/ the A's and a huge smile came across my face:applaud: . The old lady wanted to know what I was so happy about:)

Not fond of "scrapping" cabs but I do have a line on a set of Altecs that came from a theater. They have 2x15 and a big gold horn in each cab. The cabs came from a theater here in town and are some ugly laminate things that are beat. I was gonna snatch em up and keep the drivers for spares or sell them. They would be perfect for building the speakers you are talking about.

Have any cab pics or designs for ideas?

Rex Everything
01-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Try with horn on top.

Horn in the middle would put it at ear level when setting on the couch enjoying the music.

I like the idea in that pic of having seperate cabs for all the drivers. This would make it a lot of fun to mix and match and move around:applaud:

Storm
01-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Tom -

What??? You dont like Pink Floyd? I dont use drugs and I think their music is the bomb!

Rex -

Just raise the 846Bs to ear level with some concrete blocks - worked for me.

I would sell the 846A's.

So, what is your conclusion? Which one do you like better?

-Storm.

Rex Everything
01-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Tom -

What??? You dont like Pink Floyd? I dont use drugs and I think their music is the bomb!

Rex -

Just raise the 846Bs to ear level with some concrete blocks - worked for me.

I would sell the 846A's.

So, what is your conclusion? Which one do you like better?

-Storm.

It's far to early to tell right now. First impression would be the B's have a better lowend but I have only done some slight adjustments to the horn so far. I'd like to hear them with a tube set up and some good vinyl.

I'm thinking more about this speaker building thang. I'm thinking biamp the set up Tom mentioned above

Storm
01-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Rex -

I would get cinder blocks and raise the 846Bs to ear level - doing just that adjustment makes a WORLD of difference.

I agree - with have owned a pair of Heathkit Altec Valencias - the 846's just have that slight better kick in the bass.

I can't believe Tom does not like Floyd. They are an awesome band. I credit anyone who steps out of the norm of the idealistic band and experiments, is always in my book.

;)

I hope to hear more from you, Rex. Have fun and CRANK up that FLOYD!

-Storm.

Rex Everything
01-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Rex -

I would get cinder blocks and raise the 846Bs to ear level - doing just that adjustment makes a WORLD of difference.

I agree - with have owned a pair of Heathkit Altec Valencias - the 846's just have that slight better kick in the bass.

I can't believe Tom does not like Floyd. They are an awesome band. I credit anyone who steps out of the norm of the idealistic band and experiments, is always in my book.

;)

I hope to hear more from you, Rex. Have fun and CRANK up that FLOYD!

-Storm.

I'll be around a bit more I'm sure.

I plan on getting the B's up very soon.

I have actually been listening to radio the last 4 hours. The local rock station (KSHE) has Monday Night Metal on Tuesday every Tuesday night from 8-12pm(central). I am not only a Floyd fan but an old metal head also;) . I listen to everything(well, most things)

sheltiedave
01-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Rex, I've had the backs off that set of Seeburgs, and the Utah woofers had been replaced with an much older set of generic Utahs? They probably are not going to keep up with the 811s, so pay accordingly - not the $400 they are asking.

A triple bank would be awesome, especially with a room that could handle it (like yours.):)

Rex Everything
01-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Rex, I've had the backs off that set of Seeburgs, and the Utah woofers had been replaced with an much older set of generic Utahs? They probably are not going to keep up with the 811s, so pay accordingly - not the $400 they are asking.

A triple bank would be awesome, especially with a room that could handle it (like yours.):)

Utahs huh. I was told that they were all Altec save for one 15 that was exchanged for another "high end" driver.

If they are all Utahs save for the horns I won't even consider them.

Have you been in my room or just commenting from pics?

Tom Brennan
01-03-2007, 02:03 PM
"I can't believe Tom does not like Floyd."

Believe it buddy. What do I need Pink Floyd for? I've no trouble falling asleep.

At their best they sound like a Black Sabbath LP being played at 16 rpm. ;-)

SUPERBEE
01-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Funniest quote ever. I like the Syd Barret stuff and thats about it.

Those speakers look great. I like to use The BYRDS Chestnut Mare as a good demo record. Well mixed, nice solid bass, lots of great Clarence White guitar work there.

Storm
01-03-2007, 02:31 PM
OKay. We all have our opinions.

But - I believe Pink Floyd was a MAJOR thread in the evolution of music. They are incredible!

Funny - about 2 minutes ago I put on PULSE and it is cranked up so I can hear it all through the house.

How about Queen? Do you like them? Give us a little info about you - what music do you enjoy listening to?

-Storm.

Tom Brennan
01-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Chestnut Mare, a great song indeed.

Tom Brennan
01-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Storm---I hate Queen even more than I hate Pink Floyd.

In rock and roll my taste runs to 1950s rock and roll and Doo-Wop.

I also like early 60s rock and proto-punk-----Tommy Roe, Beach Boys, Love. I like CCR. I don't listen to any of that hippie stuff anymore----Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother, the Dead and all that. Lost my interest in Hendrix.

From the 70s I like Mountain, AC-DC, UFO and the two greatest bands of the 70s----Thin Lizzy and the Ramones. Talking Heads is cool.

I listen to alot of Soul Music, Southern style, Memphis and Muscle Shoals.

I listen to lots of show tunes---South Pacific, West Side Story, My Faid Lady and such.

I love movie soundtracks, guys like Rozsa, Bernstein, Steiner, Korngold, Hermann.

TnTn
01-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Rex,

Have you tried running both pairs of Valencias at the same time like those guys do with their Large Advents? They stack theirs the same way you stack yours, kinda like a MTM configuration. Wonder how that would sound like.

T.

sheltiedave
01-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Rex, you can estimate how big your room is by looking how much of the stack would fit in a 28 or 35 mm lens view. The fact you got everything in without a fisheye means a big room. I haven't been there yet, tho.

As far as the Seeburgs, if they had three Altecs plus an upscale woofer, then you never would have seen them. I've learned to look at some "deals" with a juandiced eye. They may very well be Altec, but they are a very dirty silver, no ids or stamps, exposed magnets, a non Altec basket, and sound like shit. Mismatched screws, the back opened many times, and a bodged crossover = caveat emporer.

Take the four Magnificents on the walls - now there is a great quad!

grumpy
01-04-2007, 02:23 PM
I wanna see stacked L250's ;). -grumpy

morbo!
01-04-2007, 03:13 PM
[quote=Tom Brennan;141552]Storm---I hate Queen even more than I hate Pink Floyd.

PUFF, PUFF, PASS:)

Rex Everything
01-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Rex, you can estimate how big your room is by looking how much of the stack would fit in a 28 or 35 mm lens view. The fact you got everything in without a fisheye means a big room. I haven't been there yet, tho.

As far as the Seeburgs, if they had three Altecs plus an upscale woofer, then you never would have seen them. I've learned to look at some "deals" with a juandiced eye. They may very well be Altec, but they are a very dirty silver, no ids or stamps, exposed magnets, a non Altec basket, and sound like shit. Mismatched screws, the back opened many times, and a bodged crossover = caveat emporer.

Take the four Magnificents on the walls - now there is a great quad!

We for sure are talking about the same ones. I found out about them by asking if the Magnificents were for sale :) .

The room is 35.5'L from the front of the speaker to the back wall and 11' wide.

Rex Everything
01-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Rex,

Have you tried running both pairs of Valencias at the same time like those guys do with their Large Advents? They stack theirs the same way you stack yours, kinda like a MTM configuration. Wonder how that would sound like.

T.

It is a wonderful wonderful sound. It put a huge smile on my face when I turned them both on :D

Steve
01-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Aloha
Since this is a Lansing forum
Here is a stack of both Altec and JBL
Altec 846B on top
JBL 4435 on bottom ( I like the way the horns are now )
Center speaker, an older home built cab with black walnut from the late '50's with Altec 803 woofer and 802C driver on 811 horn. That old speaker I actually thinks sounds better than the Valencia's except the low end.
Right side is my Contra Bass subwoofer, on top of the Contra Bass, 2 Altec 9440A amps, one for the sub, other for the JBL's
Please excuse the living room mess. Too many other priorities.
The picture of the Jubal is one of a pair "stacked" on the cabinets in the kitchen. Gotta have music to cook and do the dishes by.
To distract from all the piles of records through out the house, hallway and rooms, some nice flowers and a wahine (lady).

Steve
01-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Hey Rex

I totally agree

"It is a wonderful wonderful sound. It put a huge smile on my face when I turned them both on :D"

Talk about total sound immersion.
I even put down my beer when listening now...finding myself almost in a trance of awe.
I picked up a copy of "Harts War" on DVD from Wallmart for $4.95
My wife now starts to throw pillows at me from the other room when I play the scenes with the P51's in the beginning and later on in the dog fight.
I sometimes replay the scenes several times, thus the pillow throwing.
My daughter said she could feel her bones vibrating and tickling
My kind of music.
My neighbors came over from across the street and wanted to know what I was watching. One daughter who was visiting said she thought she was hearing thunder... nope they said, just Steve playing around.