PDA

View Full Version : Solder wire

mdurso
01-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Does anyone know if JBL uses specific solder wire for its speaker systems?
Do you know if there is any silver (1-2%), or is it basic Sn-Pb? A friend of mine reports changes in overall performance by using different solder wire for repairs.

Happy New Year!

spwal
01-02-2007, 11:35 AM
HI,

I would be interested in knowing this as well, i may give my internal wiring an overhaul. Man, the vintage wire looks flimsy...

Thanks

Sean

duaneage
01-07-2007, 07:47 PM
I use 63/37 wire and it works just fine. I don't see much advantage for siler solder. It jmelts at a low temp but I don't think the differences are audiable

Thom
01-07-2007, 08:36 PM
I saw an add last week where they were using a different solder for the tweeter than for the woofer. If you'll buy it someone will sell it to you. I do believe that everybody selling in europe has had to quit using lead but that solder does not seem to be incompatible with 60/40, 63/37 or one of the low temp silver bearing alloys. If done properly, you have a connection before you solder.

Don Mascali
01-07-2007, 09:40 PM
never mind

Robh3606
01-08-2007, 11:04 AM
I do believe that everybody selling in europe has had to quit using lead but that solder does not seem to be incompatible with 60/40, 63/37 or one of the low temp silver bearing alloys. If done properly, you have a connection before you solder.

You cannot under any circumstance mix leaded with unleaded solders that have been designed to be ROHS compliant/Lead Free. They are incompatable. You can't even use parts that have a lead bearing finish. They must be lead free as well.

Rob:)

Thom
01-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Is this for legal reasons or because they won't stick? My suspicion is that it is for legal reasons in which case it would depend on commercial, not commercial, and jurisdiction. So far I'm not aware of any attachment problems from mixing. But, I don't wish to spew junk information or run up against a problem myself so if I've just been lucky, straighten me out please.

Robh3606
01-08-2007, 03:14 PM
My suspicion is that it is for legal reasons

No that's not it, the composition of the new lead free alloys makes them incompatable.

Rob:)

moldyoldy
01-08-2007, 05:00 PM
I dug up some info on the subject awhile back, the bulk of which came from Kester's tech files;

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=133305&postcount=33