PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan on XM

SEAWOLF97
12-30-2006, 10:51 AM
We've always regarded Bob as some sort of Oracle ..handing down themes to the masses :)

Recently XM gave Bob his "radio time theme hour". Turns out he is just as corny and superficial as everyone else ( including me). I know he is reading a script , don't know if he wrote it or just approves it , but WOW . Maybe he is just enjoying a second childhood.

Actually he is kinda funny sometimes and his choice of music is really eclectic. :blink:

jim campbell
12-30-2006, 12:50 PM
bob has given us so much great music that i dont mind the odd eccentricity.how do you rate the xm,playlist wise, reception,content, bull....,etc?

SEAWOLF97
12-30-2006, 01:35 PM
bob has given us so much great music that i dont mind the odd eccentricity.how do you rate the xm,playlist wise, reception,content, bull....,etc?

XM reception is outstanding , although in a moving vehicle - it is essentially "line of sight" - you can lose signal in a tunnel or even under a tree. For home use , with the antenna properly located, beats the heck out of FM. In the car, you can circle the country and never have to change station.

playlist ? content ? well there are 140+ channels. 40s,50s,60s,70s etc. My favs are 60s , top tracks, and deep tracks.
Top tracks is what you would hear on a good FM rock station. Deep tracks are where I think the jewels are. Many many tracks I've never heard before.
XM studio does "LIVE" concerts, which are really nice. Eric Burdon concert was superlative.

A subscription also get you a streaming account, so you get the same content over broadband.

$12.95 mo. , better deals if you lock in longer periods. Don't think I can go back to commercial supported FM.

Oh yeah , Tom Petty has his show too.

kinda like cable vs. dialup. :bouncy:

Rusnzha
12-30-2006, 06:50 PM
What kinds of jazz do they have on XM? Do they hit on the 70s fusion thing at all?

Thanks!

johnaec
12-30-2006, 06:53 PM
I've heard XM has started airing commercials on their most popular channels - is this true?

John

SEAWOLF97
12-30-2006, 07:22 PM
What kinds of jazz do they have on XM? Do they hit on the 70s fusion thing at all?
Thanks!

sorry , dont really know, check this

http://xmro.xmradio.com/xstream/channel_lineup.jsp

they can give you a 3 day online trial to see if you like the channels.

SEAWOLF97
12-30-2006, 07:24 PM
I've heard XM has started airing commercials on their most popular channels - is this true?

John

No, not that I've heard. Mine is on 6 hours a day and never experienced a non-XM commercial. there are promos for XM events and shows

jim campbell
12-30-2006, 10:15 PM
is stern on xm or the other one.i dont know if i could take paying for that.

edgewound
12-30-2006, 10:27 PM
is stern on xm or the other one.i dont know if i could take paying for that.

Stern is on Sirius. I just ordered a radio. There's soemthing like 130 channels....your not paying for just Howard Stern.

You Get all kinds on music, comedy...uncut....news, NFL football, Nascar.

www.sirius.com (http://www.sirius.com)

Check out the line-up.

jim campbell
12-30-2006, 10:32 PM
which one do you think best for a serious music listener (all genres except top 40 and rap)

edgewound
12-30-2006, 10:45 PM
which one do you think best for a serious music listener (all genres except top 40 and rap)

They both have both, Jim.

Take a look at both services. Sirius has a 7 day internet trial that doesn't include Stern, but all the music channels...I'm not sure about XM.

Full disclosure here....I own stock in Sirius and I decided to support my investment. I know people that have both services and like both...and will never go back to regular radio.

This I know...Terrestrial radio content is awful. I don't have an Ipod, though my kids do. The music content on satellite radio is very deep, broad and eclectic; the stations are tuned in no matter what town or boondocks you're in; The comedy channels can have a great effect on road boredom.

The free trial is great way to test the product.

With a Sirius subscription you also get an internet subscription...good for the home.

jim campbell
12-31-2006, 07:49 AM
we have 2 college stations here that can be pretty good but you have to pick your times and be close to the city. regular fm bites.i think i will try the freebies from xm and sirius

johnaec
12-31-2006, 08:32 AM
Has Sirius caught up to XM in terms of fidelity? It was common knowledge in the early years that XM was using a much better codec and consistently beat Sirius in listening tests, but more recent reviews seem to say that is no longer the case.

I did a bunch of internet searches, but couldn't really find anything that clearly demonstrates the technical differences - it seems both companies want to keep the technical details secret...

'Anyone have any experience with both, hopefully under the same conditions?

John

SEAWOLF97
01-01-2007, 09:35 AM
discussions on these questions and link to great XM deal

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=689646

edgewound
01-01-2007, 02:40 PM
discussions on these questions and link to great XM deal

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=689646

Thanks SEA...that a useful link...

....and it proves that the internet forums all over are full of jerks. Seems no one can just discuss things without trying to get into a fight.:blink:

jblnut
01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't think either has caught up with good old FM in terms of sound quality. I can *hear* the artifacts with either flavor of satellite radio and that's just bogus in this day and age. Once again the standard is dumbed down to please the ipod and boom box crowd. Hell even a rental car stereo will quickly reveal the "Mr. Roboto" artifacts of satellite. It cracks me up every time I rent a car with it. Takes less than a minute before it gets on my nerves and I pop in a CD.

I support public broadcasting and with a nice vintage tuner and some commercial-free jazz lurking at the end of the dial, who needs satellite ?

I guess it's not for everyone...

jblnut

Has Sirius caught up to XM in terms of fidelity? It was common knowledge in the early years that XM was using a much better codec and consistently beat Sirius in listening tests, but more recent reviews seem to say that is no longer the case.

I did a bunch of internet searches, but couldn't really find anything that clearly demonstrates the technical differences - it seems both companies want to keep the technical details secret...

'Anyone have any experience with both, hopefully under the same conditions?

John

jim campbell
01-04-2007, 06:00 PM
npr has to be all things to all listeners and although there is great programming there the free jazz you want (me too) or the alt country i want may or may not be there WHEN you want them.the satellite idea is the best yet,but getting them to do it right is the tough part.music for some is an event to be anticipated,savored,remembered,but for the knuckle dragging,gum cracking droolers and their i pods its just background noise to watch tv by.i think ill go burn some more discs for the car and put the sat radio on hold for a while

SEAWOLF97
01-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Agreed....on mobileXM , it can occasionally get funky: trees, tunnels, etc...cause problems.

On a home install , with antenna properly setup, it is much better than FM.

jim campbell
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
does anyone know if thats the case in the northern latitudes

SEAWOLF97
01-04-2007, 06:27 PM
does anyone know if thats the case in the northern latitudes

XM Radio is broadcasting over 170 digital channels of totally new music, news, sports and children's programming direct to cars and homes via satellite and our extensive repeater network, which supplements the satellite signal to ensure seamless transmission. The channels originate from XM's broadcast center, the world's largest all-digital studio complex in Washington, DC, and uplink to our satellites. These satellites transmit the signal across the entire continental United States. Each satellite provides 18kw of total power making them the two most powerful commercial satellites ever built, providing coast-to-coast coverage

maybe ask them your question ...........

http://www.xmradio.com/contact_us/contact_us.jsp

jim campbell
01-05-2007, 11:18 AM
thanx pard will do