PDA

View Full Version : Everest II and the 2007 International CES: January 8-11, Las Vegas

4313B
12-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Greg and I talked about CES the other day.

JBL will be at the CES in January playing the Everest. We will be in a Hilton suite. You are welcome to look us up.

This is the thread for listening impressions and photos.

4313B
01-09-2007, 12:15 PM
It's January 9th

Nothing from yesterday? What are you guys doing out there? :coolness:

None of this "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" stuff I hope...

Titanium Dome
01-09-2007, 03:42 PM
http://www.hometoys.com/news.php4?section=view&id=16298562

or

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/311143.html

Titanium Dome
01-09-2007, 03:43 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/08/jbls-big-bad-mt-everest-speaker-system/

Titanium Dome
01-09-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.cesweb.org/attendees/awards/innovations/rd_2007honorees.asp

(Scroll down to find it.)

pioneer
01-09-2007, 07:41 PM
In a word Project Everest is amazing.Today was press day at the suite which I was not aware of, but fortunately for me the Harman people took pity on me as the suite was on the far side of the Hilton way away from the main show floor and they allowed me to spend a truly unforgettable hour . I was given a seat dead center roughly 10 feet back and was treated to a wide variety of music that took the Project Everests to areas I have never visited in speakers before. I was fortunate that the press brought their own music (not that Mr. Timbers had a bad selection)and we went from vocals, Piano and violin, to Joni Mitchell (paved paradise) Grateful Dead (Uncle Johns Band ) The Who(Tommy) and many more which even brought all the Harman people to massive smiles most had not heard the Dead on the Everest yet. From the loud rock to the soft vocals the Everest are consistent. They have such a sweet high with the clearest and crispest bass I have ever heard and at all levels.
The cabinets workmanship is beautiful, unfortunately I did not have a camera but the pictures you have already seen will give you a good idea of the workmanship and they really do look better live.
Since I am at the show this is the best I can do on the fly as always the CES show is busy,but I will check in later if there is more I can add when I have some more time to think about it or hopefully others will chime in, but I can see others unable to be here wanted some info so I hope this helps a little.
In closing I left with a huge smile that stayed with me all day even though my feet are killing me(typical of this show).

4313B
01-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Thank you for the update. :)
I am quite excited that you were able to hear them.

boputnam
01-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Thank you for the update. :yes:

I know a few luminaries arrived only this evening - they plan their ascent tomorrow.

Other ears arrive over the next two-days...

Wardsweb
01-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Not sure if this showed up somewhere else on the site, so here is short video on the Everest DD66000 (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-12760_7-6682521-1.html?plylst=4663-12760_7-6683334.xml)

Valentin
01-10-2007, 09:15 AM
this is a qoute from stereophile blog ces 2007 coverage

A number of Stereophile writers have been having unexpected musical moments with JBL's massive horn-loaded K2 9800 loudspeaker at recent shows, but the 2007 CES saw the US debut of the awesome Everest ($60,000/pair).

Designed, like the K2 9800, by veteran JBL engineer Greg Timbers, whom I first interviewed 25 years ago when he was working on the JBL 250, the Everest represents the Californian company's ultimate effort to achieve high-end sound from high-efficiency, horn-loaded drivers.
With a pair of Everests driven by a Lexicon disc player and Mark Levinson amplification, both Michael Fremer (above) and I sat with our mouths open at the lack of midrange congestion, the absence of intermodulation distortion, the low-frequency extension, the superbly stable stereo imaging, and the enormous dynamic range. Wow!

Mikey had brought along to the JBL Everest demo CD-Rs burned with dubs of his favorite LPs played on his Continuum Caliburn turntable. We listened to Ella Fitzgerald, Roy Orbison, Joni Mitchell, and John Lennon, but it was when Mikey asked Greg to play track one on the second CD-R that the listeners visibly relaxed and the room filled up with good vibes.

Even Everest designer Greg Timbers (left) and veteran classical recording engineer and JBL alum John Eargle (third from right) loosened up as we all lowered ourselves into the warm audio bath of the Dead's "Uncle John's Band," from Working Man's Dead. Now that's music! And on the Everests, we wanted for nothing more. Well, maybe some of those herbal smokes... We finished the listening sessions with some of John Eargle's recent classical recordings for the Delos label, which the Everests handled with the same sonic aplomb with which they had recreated the 1970s Dead. John has just written an authorized history of JBL, which we will get hold of and review when it is published.

4313B
01-10-2007, 09:59 AM
both Michael Fremer (above) and I sat with our mouths open at the lack of midrange congestion, the absence of intermodulation distortion, the low-frequency extension, the superbly stable stereo imaging, and the enormous dynamic range. Wow!

Yep, I've never been head over heels about horns.

Until now... :)

Greg has really done the whole "horn/compression driver thing" some serious, World Class justice. :yes:

John has just written an authorized history of JBL, which we will get hold of and review when it is published.

Outstanding! Can't wait! :)

veteran JBL engineer Greg Timbers, whom I first interviewed 25 years ago when he was working on the JBL 250

Isn't he simply the best? He has played such an integral role in our enjoyment of our musical collections and our JBL loudspeakers for so many years now. He secured my gratitude a long time ago.

boputnam
01-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Yep, I've never been head over heels about horns.

Until now... :)

Greg has really done the whole "horn/compression driver thing" some serious, World Class justice. :yes:

Dr. Edgar gave me a quick primer on the effect of the quality of the midrange driver on bass instruments, such as upright bass. I would think that the stellar mid driver on the Everest II contributes much to the great sounding bass on this system.
" Most bass guitar energy lies around 100 Hz with definition in the 1 kHz to 2 kHz region."

The reason for this lies in Don's quote:

..arguably the heart of the system, the brand new 476Be which is a 4" beryllium diaphragm compression driver.

My limited experience with Be diaphragm compression drivers has shown they have a remarkable ability to be acoustically neutral and reproduce sound incredibly accurately and naturally. Hell, they even make a 2307 sound pretty darn nice! :rotfl:

4313B
01-10-2007, 12:12 PM
It definitely secures the 4" compression driver back on top as it should be.

The 1501AL's are quite marvy too.

merlin
01-10-2007, 01:08 PM
That 476be sounds unlike anything I have heard - it's truly spooky in the Everest and there appears to be absolutely zero colouration. If the bass had worked when I heard them in Tokyo I would have probably been a lot poorer now!

What's the main differences with the 1501's Giskard? Did I see they were 11.7 ohm?

boputnam
01-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Widget and I lucked into a nearly two-hour session today. Greg Timbers was in wonderful, unabashed spirits showcasing these. He answered all and any questions and freely accepted whatever source material listeners brought in. Timing couldn't have been better - a journalist from Rotterdam had some remarkable, one-of-a-kind recordings, that really showcased the Everest II. Greg himself kept marvelling at this particular session - best-of-class was an old cut from Peter Paul and Mary's first album. This was a retracking from the original studio tapes. Quality was astonishing. As I said to Greg: "these really do reverb like nothing I've heard before...".

Everest II is a remarkable achievement. The soundstage is deep and sweet-spot very broad. Greg himself marvels at the latter aspect of these. Sitting off-axis presents little loss of imaging - the smoothness of the horns is broad. The sound is very coherant - the benefit of the mechanical alignment of the woofs and CD was obvious to me. Tonality was excellent, with faithful reproduction of the human voice, piano, and percussion. Horns were brassy; vocals were sultry. These are really nice.

The 1501AL is different in a couple of aspects. According to Greg and Jerry Morro, the vc is deeper - significantly, and of a thinner gauge. More surface area in the gap, and the gap tolerance is greater. Impedance is "double", because the two 1501's are running parallel and this keeps nominal impedance at 8 ohms. As we know the "low" 1501 (outboard woofer on each side) rolls off at 150Hz, first order. The inboard 1501 goes to 700Hz and hands-off to the 476Be which runs to 20kHz where it is augmented by the UHF."

As Greg puts it (paraphrasing): "JBL started as a two-way speaker maker. JBL then modified that by adding, "augmenting" the highs with the ring radiator. Everest II retraces those roots - this is a two-way, augmented on the bottom (the "low" 1501) and on the top (by the UHF, 20kHz to 40kHz).

The speaker was run passive, but Greg says as good as this is, it is "not from this world" when biamped.

The thing that kept coming across today, not only Greg's generous manner in talking through the design, was his delight in their performance. Truly, aspects of these cabinets exceed his wildest expectations.

I believe JBL have shipped 150 to Japan; another 50 are already ordered. Demand is really big in Europe. This was JBL's US debut and Greg expects to be "even further behind filling orders :p " as a result of this show...

Valentin
01-11-2007, 08:01 PM
any pictures
would be nice

Chas
01-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks Bo, your way with words made me feel like I was there.:)
Okay Widget, it's your turn, let's hear from you! :p

Ian Mackenzie
01-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Nice report Bo,

Any pics with Greg and the Everest11?

edgewound
01-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I was at CES and had the pleasure to experience the Everest II, meet Greg Timbers, and then Magnet3 and I had the most wonderful time meeting Mr. Widget and his lovely wife Mrs. Gadget (according to Bo) for dinner at the MGM Grand's Fiamma Trattoria. I was hoping to meet Bo and his wife, too, but they were coming the next day as we were leaving. I think we saved a life during dinner...more about that later.

The Everest II is everything that has been written here and I'm sure, then some.

What really impresses me about a great speaker demo set-up is the relative simplicity that showcases the speakers and not a half-million dollar collection of amps, preamps, fire-hose cables that you must have to run the speakers.....and a minimally treated room. In this case, a hotel suite at the LV Hilton.

The amp was a Mark Levinson...a Harman Brand...that was 200 watts per channel, don't know what preamp, CD, or cables....I didn't care, although the cables were subtantial....probably 10 guage or so.

Everest II is something to behold. I wish I had the money and the house to put them in. The design is a real work of art and a real nice peice of furniture that harkens back to the moderne Alvin Lustig design era...both curvy and edgey....retro modern with a totally engaging visual. I didn't want to close my eyes while listening because these things are so cool to look at too. These are big speakers, but they somehow manage to disappear from the music....if that makes any sense to you.

The sound...is well... breathtaking. GT played a number of selections from the John Eargle test CD...classical music to some asian influenced pieces to Nora Jones', "Come Away With Me". On this piece, Nora is sweetly singing into your ear... you can feel her warm breath cascading down the back of your neck....very detailed...very resolved...very quick...very real...very neutral. There isn't a horn signature in sight. I was sitting right of center, and was quite amazed at the width of the sound stage. There was still a right and left image with out have to move to the center "sweet spot".

GT told me when they designed the new 476Be driver they got a whole lot more than they ever imagined or intended....this thing doesn't need a tweeter, but the market had to have it....so it got it. This big driver reaches all the way to 40kHz...sure, it gets a little bumpy in that stratosphere but there isn't a filter between it and the super tweeter....it just runs all the way up, with the UHF coming in at 20kHz. Very nice, indeed.

I introduced myself to Greg Timbers, and was flattered to know that he knew my posts from my moniker....that made my day...I felt like somebody important for a few minutes. He'd like to contribute more comments and insight here but the demands on his time are far too great to indulge. He does reference the archives ocassionally though, to look for some things that he might have forgotten over the years...How 'bout that, huh?

This is a very nice guy. He doesn't come off the least bit affected...not arrogant, nor standoffish, nor defensive, nor boastful...he just loves what he does and has delivered some of the greatest audio products ever conceived. He wants things to progress and evolve through refinement, and he'd like to see the dealer network improve, but that's not his arena. As long as these products are showcased, the products will sell...The Everest II is already running behind on orders of something like 300 units around the world and the US.

Mr. and Mrs. Widget. He called me on his way into town and we arranged dinner plans on the fly. What a great couple. We spoke for hours about many, many things until closing the restaurant...last to leave....and continued our conversation out in the MGM Grand's mall. We never brought up politics, except for the mention of health care during dinner. Since CES is very busy, getting a reservation late is a challenge. All went perfectly as we found a table in the bar of a fine Italian restaurant at the MGM Grand.

The four of us were immersed in conversation, laughing carrying on. Then something unusual happened. Mr. Widget had a look of surprise on his face. A gentlemen in town for CES from Charlotte, NC was having dinner solo next to us. He had lost consciousness and somehow found support collapsed against Mr. Widget's back. Widget said,..."uh...help?" I looked over and noticed the gentleman's eyes were open! I said, "Oh my god, is he dead? Mrs. Widget went to check him for a neck pulse while I checked for a wrist pulse....nothing. All of a sudden...and with great relief, he came to while we were checking him out. He said he all of a sudden got real dizzy and passed out with eyes open. After some questions we discovered he was on medication for bronchitis and had a glass of wine with dinner...on top of the fatigue from travel. Security called for medical attention, treated on the scene...we hope he is alright.

Quite a memorable evening for us all. I didn't get any pictures of the Widget's and us but I did take some pics of Everest II....I'll add them a little later.

Nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Widget.....look forward to visiting again soon. Sorry we missed you Bo, but good to talk to you on the phone.

There are some great people here. I hope you get to meet some of your forum friends

Earl K
01-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Those are all wonderful reviews,,, Thanks Guys !

<> Earl K

boputnam
01-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Okay Widget, it's your turn, let's hear from you! :pWidget is on-the-road, likely wishing Bakersfield was already in the rearview, but not yet, not quite yet...

Any pics with Greg and the Everest11?No. Ms. Gadget, THE camera lady left it at the hotel. I wouldn't have posted one anyway, but certainly wish I had one with him to show these 4345's that daddy sends his best regards! :rotfl:

....this thing doesn't need a tweeter, but the market had to have it....Yea, apparently, any attempt to market a large format monitor into Japan without a UHF is doomed. Greg laughed, and shrugged - it is redundant on the Everest II. Widget mentioned during an earlier session with Greg they plopped a towel over it, and there was not noticeable change. The 476Be covers that range quite ably. Plus, as Greg would remind: "...the fewer crossover points, the better!"

mech986
01-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Widget is on-the-road, likely wishing Bakersfield was already in the rearview, but not yet, not quite yet...

No. Ms. Gadget, THE camera lady left it at the hotel. I wouldn't have posted one anyway, but certainly wish I had one with him to show these 4345's that daddy sends his best regards! :rotfl:

Yea, apparently, any attempt to market a large format monitor into Japan without a UHF is doomed. Greg laughed, and shrugged - it is redundant on the Everest II. Widget mentioned during an earlier session with Greg they plopped a towel over it, and there was not noticeable change. The 476Be covers that range quite ably. Plus, as Greg would remind: "...the fewer crossover points, the better!"

Does that mean if we ever got, say an Everest I.75 without the ultratweeter, then it would maybe cost only 45G's? LOL~! :blink:

Great two ways are hard to find!!

Regards,

Bart

timc
01-13-2007, 10:19 AM
It would still be a 3 way since the bass drivers dont play alike. :)

boputnam
01-13-2007, 04:00 PM
It would still be a 3 way since the bass drivers dont play alike. :):no:

As Greg (Timbers) puts it (paraphrasing): "...this is a two-way, augmented on the bottom (the "low" 1501) and on the top (by the UHF, 20kHz to 40kHz)."

Hoerninger
01-13-2007, 04:43 PM
:no:
Greg Timbers is understating by simplification I assume. LF1 has an electrical lowpass, LF2 has an acoustical highpass, dividing frequency round about 120 Hz, isn't it?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=21324&stc=1&d=1166012016

Ian Mackenzie
01-13-2007, 05:22 PM
No. Ms. Gadget, THE camera lady left it at the hotel. I wouldn't have posted one anyway, but certainly wish I had one with him to show these 4345's that daddy sends his best regards! :rotfl:

Lest you forget Uncle Ken. He should be remembered. Without his offering the 4345s to a good home your recent history and experiencing of these events would not be.

That is the gift of being part of this..The Lansing Heritage.

What a great journey.

Mr. Widget
01-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Okay Widget, it's your turn, let's hear from you! :p
I am not sure that I have that much more to add to the preceding comments...

The Everests are absolutely destined to be the Paragon and Hartsfields of the future. They are superb in aesthetic and technical design... the drivers are the finest JBL has ever produced (and that says a lot!)... the cabinets are as beautifully finished as they are beautifully designed.

The DD66000s are quite unique in their remarkably wide sweet spot. Sitting in the actual sweet spot does improve the stereo sound, but more than any other system I have ever heard, these speakers produced a very credible stereo image quite far off the centerline axis. The other remarkable quality was their excellent detail resolution. You hear the phrase, "these speakers lifted a veil between us and the music." Well the DD66000 really does. I have heard very few speakers that reveal this much of the music, and none from JBL. These speakers are without peer in the JBL stable and are among the very best ever produced by anyone... period.

Over the years I have discovered that there were many JBL drivers that I have coveted, used and loved, but this is the first JBL system that I have heard that I would love to own with no qualifiers or modification. If I could afford them and convince Mrs. Gadget that their size fit our lifestyle I would be on the waiting list for a pair.

Widget

FWIW:

The 1501AL is different in a couple of aspects. According to Greg and Jerry Morro, the vc is deeper - significantly, and of a thinner gauge. More surface area in the gap, and the gap tolerance is greater. Impedance is "double", because the two 1501's are running parallel and this keeps nominal impedance at 8 ohms.The voicecoil length has been increased from 0.8" to over 1"... a 40% increase is what Jerry said if I recall correctly. Since the coil is of a thinner gauge, the distance between the coil and the gap is greater... this allows greater excursion with less chance of coil rubbing. Basically these two changes are refinements that add icing on an already excellent design... taking a phenomenal woofer and making it phenomenal +.

Hoerninger
01-14-2007, 03:13 PM
The DD66000s are quite unique in their remarkably wide sweet spot. Sitting in the actual sweet spot does improve the stereo sound, but more than any other system I have ever heard, these speakers produced a very credible stereo image quite far off the centerline axis.
Do you think that this ability of creating a very credible stereo image quite far off the centerline axisis is comparable with the behavior of the S2600 or S3100 horns, which would direct the sound only to one side? (I have never heard them.)

Mr. Widget
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
First, let me say, I have never heard the original Everests or either the S2600 or S3100 systems. I have heard these horns on various systems at Zilch's and would say that while they do exhibit a wide "sweet spot", it is a rather unusual listening experience. The Everest II has a more conventional stereophonic reproduction that I am used to and prefer.

Widget

boputnam
01-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Greg Timbers is understating by simplification I assume. LF1 has an electrical lowpass, LF2 has an acoustical highpass, dividing frequency round about 120 Hz, isn't it?Yea, Peter - but as your plot shows, these "augmentations" are really quite nuanced and in-reality the Everest II is ever-so-much a two-way over the audible frequency spectrum. I think Greg was proud of that.

Why?

There are inherant problems at crossover points. Ideally, the fewer the better, but drivers simply don't perform linearly over the entire audible frequency spectrum. Greg (now...) prefers to keep to the fewest crossover points possible - the results of that effort in the Everest II are very impressive and thought-provoking... :hmm:

boputnam
01-14-2007, 05:34 PM
(my OT post is deleted - this thread is about Everest II, and nothing else belongs here...)

Ian Mackenzie
01-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Regardless you are damned lucky to have them..hence my reference.

Maron Horonzakz
01-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Widget....A question about Everest II.....The mid horn seems quite wide..Did JBL publish a polor plot on it. Does it narrow at the higher frequencies....Did any one do a walkaround to see if it beamed? I notice in the picture looking down the throat ,,,No septa vanes. How were they able to achieve an even pattern? I notice the mid horn is made in two parts...The section connected to 476 driver & the large section on face of cabinet...Any details?

Valentin
01-15-2007, 08:50 AM
it is all sow interesting to see how close the speaker where to the back wall

where they far away from side walls how big a room was it

seems it they took in consideration (design) the restriction of conventional room placements

Did some of you ask some of this perspectives with Mr GT
I like room acoustics and it would be very interesting to learn how thy take in to perspectives this problematics

Mr. Widget
01-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I notice in the picture looking down the throat ,,,No septa vanes. How were they able to achieve an even pattern?The same way they have been doing it with their studio monitors, theater speakers, and PA speakers since the '80s. It is a very large bi-radial horn. Bi-radials do not need vanes to give a very even and well controlled polar pattern.

I notice the mid horn is made in two parts...The section connected to 476 driver & the large section on face of cabinet...Any details?It is made that way for manufacturing reasons.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
01-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Widget....Thank you for your quick reply....I didnt get a chance to go to the CES this year....It will be extreamly hard to find a working display in this country...No one will want to keep that costly inventory on the floor for very long....But maybe one day ill get a chance.;)

MJC
01-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Has anyone heard the Everest in a 3 channel stereo setup?
As I remember from when they were premiered in Tokyo, someone had mentioned that during the first weekend they had sold 4 sets of 3 units. I would assume the means as LCRs.

gtimbers
01-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I am not aware of anyone who has actually heard 3 channel yet. I have done 4 channel here at Northridge briefly when I actually had 4 systems at one time. The result was unreal. Several sets of "3" have been ordered, but not filled as yet. One Japanese reviewer has 5 on order to go with his 200" screen. We are putting 3 pieces in our Home Theater room here at Northridge. We have the units set aside but have not been able to install as yet.

A note/correction on order quantities. We have shipped 150 pieces so far. We owe Japan another 150 pieces. We owe the rest of Asia 30 pairs. With CES, we have just introduced the system to the US. Similar events are happening in Europe concurrently. We hope availability in Europe and the US will be possible beginning in early spring. We are expecting the 1st year total to be around 600 systems. That is 4 times our original estimates.

Mr. Widget
01-16-2007, 09:14 AM
We are expecting the 1st year total to be around 600 systems. That is 4 times our original estimates.Congratulations!

After hearing them, I guess those numbers shouldn't be such a surprise.

Widget

4313B
01-16-2007, 09:40 AM
That is 4 times our original estimates.Excellent!

And thank you for the reply. :)

Titanium Dome
01-16-2007, 09:41 AM
I am not aware of anyone who has actually heard 3 channel yet. I have done 4 channel here at Northridge briefly when I actually had 4 systems at one time. The result was unreal. Several sets of "3" have been ordered, but not filled as yet. One Japanese reviewer has 5 on order to go with his 200" screen. We are putting 3 pieces in our Home Theater room here at Northridge. We have the units set aside but have not been able to install as yet.

A note/correction on order quantities. We have shipped 150 pieces so far. We owe Japan another 150 pieces. We owe the rest of Asia 30 pairs. With CES, we have just introduced the system to the US. Similar events are happening in Europe concurrently. We hope availability in Europe and the US will be possible beginning in early spring. We are expecting the 1st year total to be around 600 systems. That is 4 times our original estimates.

That really is excellent news. I hope at an a propos time those of us struggling with Performance Series or Project Array gear can get a listen at Northridge.

Valentin
01-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I hope this persuades Harman International in building and investing in R&D for future jbl project's

Nice work nice numbers Geat Speakers

edgewound
01-16-2007, 09:59 AM

I hope that bodes well for the future prospects of other higher end JBL home hifi products being "re-introduced" to the US marketplace.

Congratulations on your exceeded success, Greg.

MJC
01-16-2007, 11:30 AM
That really is excellent news. I hope at an a propos time those of us struggling with Performance Series or Project Array gear can get a listen at Northridge.
Yes, a listen at NR. Now Dome and I and a couple of others have to settle with PS:D

merlin
01-16-2007, 01:36 PM
I have to say I'm not surprised by the sales - these things look even better in the flesh than the photographs. I was tempted without even hearing the damned things. I'd go so far as to say they almost qualify as a work of art and they make such a change from the industry norm. I think Daniel Ashcraft has excelled himself once again and JBL are very lucky to have such a creative mind to go with the technical briliance of Mr Timbers and his team

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/airwise/dualwoofercab.jpg

Now where to find some perspex....

hnm1
01-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Wow what a speaker ! It reminds me of the first time I laid eyes on the 250 TI in 1986.They totally blew me away.I can't wait to hear and see these speakers in person.

MJC
01-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I have to say I'm not surprised by the sales - these things look even better in the flesh than the photographs.
That seems to be the case of most, if not all, speakers as shown on the computer. I know the PT800s and the Studio L890s are a lot better looking than any pics on the net show. Of coarse, both of those speakers are a few ranks down from the Everest.

Hoerninger
01-18-2007, 05:13 AM
Video interview on CNET.COM.AU about new Everest
(Soundcheck inclusive? ;) )
http://www.cnet.com.au/special/ces2007/?vid_id=13

Flash needed

soundmanshorty
01-21-2007, 02:32 AM
I was at CES and had the pleasure to experience the Everest II, meet Greg Timbers, and then Magnet3 and I had the most wonderful time meeting Mr. Widget and his lovely wife Mrs. Gadget (according to Bo) for dinner at the MGM Grand's Fiamma Trattoria. I was hoping to meet Bo and his wife, too, but they were coming the next day as we were leaving. I think we saved a life during dinner...more about that later.

The Everest II is everything that has been written here and I'm sure, then some.

What really impresses me about a great speaker demo set-up is the relative simplicity that showcases the speakers and not a half-million dollar collection of amps, preamps, fire-hose cables that you must have to run the speakers.....and a minimally treated room. In this case, a hotel suite at the LV Hilton.

The amp was a Mark Levinson...a Harman Brand...that was 200 watts per channel, don't know what preamp, CD, or cables....I didn't care, although the cables were subtantial....probably 10 guage or so.

Everest II is something to behold. I wish I had the money and the house to put them in. The design is a real work of art and a real nice peice of furniture that harkens back to the moderne Alvin Lustig design era...both curvy and edgey....retro modern with a totally engaging visual. I didn't want to close my eyes while listening because these things are so cool to look at too. These are big speakers, but they somehow manage to disappear from the music....if that makes any sense to you.

The sound...is well... breathtaking. GT played a number of selections from the John Eargle test CD...classical music to some asian influenced pieces to Nora Jones', "Come Away With Me". On this piece, Nora is sweetly singing into your ear... you can feel her warm breath cascading down the back of your neck....very detailed...very resolved...very quick...very real...very neutral. There isn't a horn signature in sight. I was sitting right of center, and was quite amazed at the width of the sound stage. There was still a right and left image with out have to move to the center "sweet spot".

GT told me when they designed the new 476Be driver they got a whole lot more than they ever imagined or intended....this thing doesn't need a tweeter, but the market had to have it....so it got it. This big driver reaches all the way to 40kHz...sure, it gets a little bumpy in that stratosphere but there isn't a filter between it and the super tweeter....it just runs all the way up, with the UHF coming in at 20kHz. Very nice, indeed.

I introduced myself to Greg Timbers, and was flattered to know that he knew my posts from my moniker....that made my day...I felt like somebody important for a few minutes. He'd like to contribute more comments and insight here but the demands on his time are far too great to indulge. He does reference the archives ocassionally though, to look for some things that he might have forgotten over the years...How 'bout that, huh?

This is a very nice guy. He doesn't come off the least bit affected...not arrogant, nor standoffish, nor defensive, nor boastful...he just loves what he does and has delivered some of the greatest audio products ever conceived. He wants things to progress and evolve through refinement, and he'd like to see the dealer network improve, but that's not his arena. As long as these products are showcased, the products will sell...The Everest II is already running behind on orders of something like 300 units around the world and the US.

Mr. and Mrs. Widget. He called me on his way into town and we arranged dinner plans on the fly. What a great couple. We spoke for hours about many, many things until closing the restaurant...last to leave....and continued our conversation out in the MGM Grand's mall. We never brought up politics, except for the mention of health care during dinner. Since CES is very busy, getting a reservation late is a challenge. All went perfectly as we found a table in the bar of a fine Italian restaurant at the MGM Grand.

The four of us were immersed in conversation, laughing carrying on. Then something unusual happened. Mr. Widget had a look of surprise on his face. A gentlemen in town for CES from Charlotte, NC was having dinner solo next to us. He had lost consciousness and somehow found support collapsed against Mr. Widget's back. Widget said,..."uh...help?" I looked over and noticed the gentleman's eyes were open! I said, "Oh my god, is he dead? Mrs. Widget went to check him for a neck pulse while I checked for a wrist pulse....nothing. All of a sudden...and with great relief, he came to while we were checking him out. He said he all of a sudden got real dizzy and passed out with eyes open. After some questions we discovered he was on medication for bronchitis and had a glass of wine with dinner...on top of the fatigue from travel. Security called for medical attention, treated on the scene...we hope he is alright.

Quite a memorable evening for us all. I didn't get any pictures of the Widget's and us but I did take some pics of Everest II....I'll add them a little later.

Nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Widget.....look forward to visiting again soon. Sorry we missed you Bo, but good to talk to you on the phone.

There are some great people here. I hope you get to meet some of your forum friends

A Itech digital amp lol;-) Jus kidding

mech986
01-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow! 600 systems (pairs) at $60,000 = 36 million USD!!! That should look good on the ledgers and cover (hopefully) all the development and marketing costs.

I'll bet other Hi End speaker companies are rather breathless about this.

Best of luck in keeping up with demand and for continued sales growth.

Regards,

Bart

speakerdave
01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
The dealers get some of that, of course, but still, it's good to see they are getting the sales.

David

WTPRO
01-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi All

This report is a little late, but I did want to add that I too had the opportunity to make way over and hear the Everest. Needless to say, I was quite impressed. I just wish I had more time to listen as it was the last day of CES and I was on my way over to meet some Autosound manufacturers. The audition going on at the time was Opera and though Im not much into opera, wow! I just wish I had more time!

Best regards,
Keith Larson

Titanium Dome
03-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Is this the thread you're looking for?

dumdumboy
03-19-2007, 04:07 PM
FYI,

The Everest II has been reviewed in the latest Edition of German "Audio" Magazine.
It basically blew everything else out of the water and
is now "Audio's" new reference speaker.

According to the review, the Everest II sounds very neutral and totally
uncoloured. Dynamics and sound level are virtually unlimited.

Quite astonishing, indeed! I am not aware that I've seen such a positive
review of a JBL horn loaded speaker in a German HiFi magazine before!

Whatever one thinks of audio reviews, this will boost JBL's Reputation as a
high end speaker brand here in Germany, that's for sure.

Congratulations to Mr Timbers and his design/engineering team!!

4313B
03-19-2007, 04:11 PM
The Everest II has been reviewed in the latest Edition of German "Audio" Magazine.
It basically blew everything else out of the water and is now "Audio's" new reference speaker.It is quite a loudspeaker!

Thanks for the post. :)

Jan Daugaard
03-21-2007, 09:47 AM
The reviewers in German Audio mostly listened to heavy metal, so there is no point in conveying their impressions. The measurements are, however, worth translating.

The text in the upper left corner reads:
"We have measured the frequency reponse at a distance of 1 m: On axis, as well as 30°, 60°, and 90° off axis (the upper graphs). The gentle roll-off in the frequency response at very low frequencies is due to the measurement technique -- the Everest goes lower in a free field. The maximum sound pressure level could not be determined: At 123 dB, the distortion and compression were generally still below the threshold for the equipment, and the measurement amplifier could not produce any more power. The loudspeaker should be turned towards the listener. When placed close to a wall, set the control bars to dampen the bass."

The text below the frequency reponses at various sound pressure levels reads:
"Strong bass, otherwise balanced, clearly beaming. Hardly any visible distortion, only a little in the bass."

The text in light blue and green in the lower left corner reads:
"Small -- Middle -- Large < Room size
Dry -- Average -- Reverberant < Acoustics
Against wall -- Close to wall -- Free standing < Placement
where Small = 15 m² (161 sq ft), Middle = 24 m² (258 sq ft), and Large = 45 m² (484 sq ft)"

Guido
03-23-2007, 04:36 AM
I just bought the magazine.

These guys are completely mad about that speaker :D

They call it the loudest (audiophile) speaker ever!

NO NO NO horn coloration.

It's 50.000 Euro here in Germany. Unfortunately out of budget for me. But let's see what the TOTL 2-Way will bring :bouncy:

dumdumboy
03-23-2007, 05:02 AM
Sun Audio will be the official distributor for Germany. I talked to them last
week and they will try to establish a dealer network but currently there is
only one pair of Everests in Europe due to the high demand from the Asian Market.

A Everest brochure (German language) has just gone to print and should be available soon! I will keep you posted!

About the price: Yep, out of reach,that's for sure!

Rolf
03-23-2007, 11:37 AM
It's 50.000 Euro here in Germany.

The price in Norway is NKR 450.000.00. You guys can find out using a currency calculator.

scott fitlin
03-23-2007, 11:40 AM
They call it the loudest (audiophile) speaker ever!

Really?

Hoerninger
03-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Really?
AUDIO (http://www.audio.de/d/150102) has measured maximum output resp. distortion. With 123 dB the JBL has been all the way below the lower level for measuring harmonic distortion and compression. Higher levels have not been measured because their measuring amplifier rejected more power.

translated:

Do forget all you have known about dynamics. No, I mean all. The one who has heard the Everest, must forget some believes. For example, that pur power and fine dynamics exclude each other. The JBL can both in absolut perfection. Fulminating Heavy Metal like Dream Theaters "Awake" will be mastered with concert level, just as well the nuances of level differences in the piano trio of Schönbergs "Verklärte Nacht" (Antes Edition) are followed just as by a high end small monitor (Kleinmonitor).

Another dogma that melts away after a listening session with the JBL, is the fairy tale of horn colorations. There arn't any, the bolide (?) keeps dramatically forced voices in Wagners "Ring des Nibelungen" (EMI, Haitink) just as clean as a well respected high end speaker a la Backes & Müller BM 35.
Several men joined the listening test and soon they came around that you completely loose control of sound level judgement. The dynamics alone are not a criterium alone for a reference speaker, it is far more the ability to resolve finest differences between amplifiers too.

Last words in AUDIO: ... a dream has come true.

scott fitlin
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Sounds good.

Guido
03-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Sun Audio will ..... try to establish a dealer network but ....

And Sun Audio accept other dealers beside themself??

Wow that's interesting news...

Mr. Widget
03-23-2007, 05:51 PM
...Several men joined the listening test and soon they came around that you completely loose control of sound level judgement. The dynamics alone are not a criterium alone for a reference speaker, it is far more the ability to resolve finest differences between amplifiers too.
I'd say the Everest's resolving power is what really makes them special... many of the speakers that we talk about on a daily basis can match or come close to matching the new Everest's dynamics and max SPL abilities, but none can come close in resolution and neutrality.

Widget

Domino
03-28-2007, 04:43 PM
I'd like to know when and where I can hear these. It seems lately all the high end stuff from JBL is nowhere to be found at any of the audio stores. High end or otherwise. I'm sure glad I have my L-300's I hope they actually market these speakers.

MJC
03-28-2007, 04:52 PM
I'd like to know when and where I can hear these. It seems lately all the high end stuff from JBL is nowhere to be found at any of the audio stores. High end or otherwise. I'm sure glad I have my L-300's I hope they actually market these speakers.
JBL doesn't even have them on their web site yet. And with 300 or more on back orders I wouldn't hold my breath to see and hear them anytime soon. Short of all of us being invited to hear them at Northridge.

Hoerninger
04-15-2007, 03:18 PM
The Ultimate Everest Test-Uncle John's Band (http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2007/010907deadhead/)
"Even Everest designer Greg Timbers (left) and veteran classical recording engineer and JBL alum John Eargle (third from right) loosened up as we all lowered ourselves into the warm audio bath of the Dead's "Uncle John's Band," from Working Man's Dead. Now that's music! And on the Everests, we wanted for nothing more. Well, maybe some of those herbal smokes..."

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2007/Uncle_John450.jpg

Mikey loves JBLs-Who Knew?!?!! (http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2007/010907mikeyjbl/)
"With a pair of Everests driven by a Lexicon disc player and Mark Levinson amplification, both Michael Fremer ... and I sat with our mouths open at the lack of midrange congestion, the absence of intermodulation distortion, the low-frequency extension, the superbly stable stereo imaging, and the enormous dynamic range."