PDA

View Full Version : Shimming necessary for LE10 H1?

BenB
12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
"I keep hearing about great refoamers that can do it without removing he dustcap to place shims."

I'm not great, but I've refoamed twice and never shimmed the voice coils. Now to re-foam the JBL LE10 H1...

Think I need to? I feel some slight rubbing when I press on the outside of the cone. But the gap seems wide to me. And I usually center just by pushing the dustcap while the glue dries, checking for rubbing and adjusting the foam. I can't imagine shimming does any good. If you pull the foam in the wrong way and glue it badly, you can still pull the cone out of center or bend it, even or especially if it's shimmed. And if the woofer is not centered because the spider or VC or former is damaged, then there's no point in re-foaming it anyway. :blah:

Tell me I'm wrong and why.

GordonW
12-28-2006, 10:03 AM
No problem with your logic, IME.

LE14s are a real pain, but LE10/LE111 type drivers are usually no problem to refoam. The method you described (testing the alignment by alternately pushing down slightly on each side to make sure it's "symmetrical") is they way most pros do it...

Regards,
Gordon.

BenB
12-29-2006, 07:02 AM
"...but LE10/LE111 type drivers are usually no problem to refoam."

I will aim for perfection! Thanks.