PDA

View Full Version : emilar ek 175 driver

Steve Racey
12-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Does anyone have any imfo or personal experience with this driver. How does it compare to Altec, Jbl

bowtie427ss
12-28-2006, 10:48 AM
This is my first post here, please take the noob's opinion with a grain of salt.

The basic dimensions and geometry of the diaphram, phase plug, and throat are the same as in the annular phase plug style altecs. My EK's don't have the original phrams, but i'm quite sure they use a phram with a mylar surround similar to the less desireable "symbiotik" Altec phrams.

Jonas Renkus was the founder and cheif engineer at Emilar, i believe he was at some point in history a part of the Altec design team. He held several patents which coincidentally are the major differences between the Altec 1 inch compression drivers, and the 1 inch compression drivers made by both Emilar and later Renkus Heinz.

Renkus designed the diaphram in his drivers to be field replaceable. The centering method he patented for Emilar consists of a very shallow counterbore in the face plate of the magnet into which fits the precision machined and centered diaphram mounting hub, no centering pins. The diaphram is then "clamped" into place providing uniform pressure oround the entire diameter of the mounting hub rather than at three single points like the competition.

Renkus eventually sold and disolved Emilar to raise capital for his next venture which would be known by it's present day name of Renkus Heinz. He further developed the 1 inch driver, and held patents for a new field replacement method whereby the diaphram is constructed with a thin and broad all aluminum hub now centered by 2 very large precision machined and located "pins" which also incorporate the 1/4-20 studs which hold the cover in place. Further refinements included a rear cover that not only clampes the diaphram in place circumferentially, but also wraps around the magnet structure with the 2 fold purpose of protecting the edges of the ferrite and acting as a very effective heatsink ................... way ahead of today's rubber tire which serves to hold heat in the driver.

To my ear the Emilar and Renkus drivers have far better high end extension than the symbiotik altecs, and i think any similarity in the diaphrams ends at the visual characteristics. I have plenty of Altec, Emilar, and Renkus drivers to compare. i won't say that one sounds "better" than another, those comparisons are just too subjective, altho i'll say they do all sound "different".

speakerdave
12-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Nice post, bowtie--welcome to the forum.

Foothills of the Catskills. The Helderbergs, by any chance?

David

bowtie427ss
12-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Nice post, bowtie--welcome to the forum.

Foothills of the Catskills. The Helderbergs, by any chance?
That's a familiar name, particularly if it involves a stone business. Thank you for the welcome.

EDIT: Here are a couple naked pics of the Emilar EK and Renkus SSD series drivers, everybody loves pics right?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m283/bowtie427ss/EmilarEK.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m283/bowtie427ss/SSDinside.jpg

Steve Racey
12-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Sounds as if these old drivers serial number 1619 and 1700 may be worth rebuilding.

I found one site $90.00 US per unit. does this sound reasonable?

Thanks the Frogman

speakerdave
12-28-2006, 01:40 PM
I've read that Radian inherited the Emilar diaphragm technology so that the replacement diaphragms they sell are virtually identical to original.

David

bowtie427ss
12-28-2006, 01:42 PM
The last i knew the Emilar tooling and rights belonged to Plus One Engineering and they used Orange County Speaker as a sole distributor for exact replacments, $90 sounds like a good price for a genuine diaphram. IMO if you want the genuine sound, you need genuine diaphrams regardless of brand.

With that said, Radian also makes a phram to fit these.

Tom Brennan
12-28-2006, 02:38 PM
That's very interesting Bowtie, thanks.

speakerdave
12-28-2006, 02:56 PM
The last i knew the Emilar tooling and rights belonged to Plus One Engineering and they used Orange County Speaker as a sole distributor for exact replacments, $90 sounds like a good price for a genuine diaphram. IMO if you want the genuine sound, you need genuine diaphrams regardless of brand.

With that said, Radian also makes a phram to fit these.

Here's an interesting, gossipy post on the high efficiency asylum that digs into the transition, which was apparently not particularly clean. The post is three years old.
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hug&n=61077&highlight=emilar+radian&r=&session=
David

bowtie427ss
12-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Very interesting read speakerdave, thank you! That will be filed away in the memory banks. My experience is mainly with the 1 inch 175 series Emilars, the 320 they mention is a large format 2 inch throat driver.

I'll soon be doing a subwoofer project using Emilar EW-15's, I'd love to hear from anyone that knows anything about these woofers, a scan of a factory spec sheet would be a dream come true for me. I have factory sheets for the EC-175 driver, and EH-800 horn. If anyone would like a scan just drop me a PM.

usaaus
12-28-2006, 05:39 PM
As 'Bowtie' suspects, Jonas Renkus was at Altec. He was directly under Hilliard as Lansing had been twenty-five years earlier. In Anaheim, he developed for Ling-Temco-Vought the symbiotic construction using kapton for the compliance and coil former. He told me that the marketing people at Altec degraded the top end response because they wanted an intermediate performance between 290 and 288 responses and power capability. This is illustrated by the thicker aluminum locating ring on the 291 diaphragm that places the aluminum diaphragm further from the phasing plug.

Jonas pioneered the use of silicone elastomeric compliances in LTV's air modulators and used this innovation to avoid compliance fatigue in Altec's 594B 4-inch coil driver that was an alnico reissue of the WE 594A but are even rarer because the government was the purchaser. Most went to White Sands, NM.In the early seventies Hilliard and Renkus had a consulting business on Main Street in Orange and from here they introduced the elastomer surround into smaller format drivers. They established a joint venture project with Bud Bennett of Quad-8 to commercialize a new cinema system. I still have Jonas's prototype HF driver from this project.

The elastomer compliance and the drawings and prototype of what was to become the EC175 driver was the founding basis for Renkus Corp in 1974. The alnico EA model was prompted by Dukane; they marketed Coral drivers from Japan. With investment Renkus Corp became Emilar Corp (Mohageri, Lindsey, Renkus). Harold Lindsey was one of the Ampex founders and had an interest in horn systems from Ampex's 1950s foray into cinema sound using licensed JBL loudspeaker designs.

Emilar's 1970s diaphragm production featured elastomer compliances and this gave fatigue-proof reliability over the the prior art used by Altec, JBL, Coral with embossed Harrison-type complances. Also the resonances in the top octave exhibited by the embossed surround were absent in the emilar drivers but these elastomer diaphragm assemblies were expensive to produce.

I have the original correspondance betweem Jonas Renkus and Harro Heinz that I have shown to Steve Schell. In 1979, after Renkus-Heinz was producing the elastomer featuring 1800 and 3300 drivers and they were being agressively marketed by Algis Renkus, Jonas and I developed the triple lamination construction that resulted in models 1801 and 3301.

Both Jonas and then Algis left R-H and returned to a failing emilar in 1981. There the expensive elastomer construction was abandoned for the triple lamination technique and the 314 and 320 drivers were developed and produced. There was litigation from Heinz but he dropped the charges during the hearings. Subsequently this construction technique was adopted by B&C in Italy.

When emilar was abandoned by its British owned holding company E3MC in 1995, rent arrears were paid to the sheriff by Ken Brown and the locked factory was opened to him and the assets were plundered. There followed litigation threats from Algis Renkus to Plus One as Algis had been financing the company and taking leans on assets. I bought these from Algis' widow in 1997, incliuding the emilar trademark.

Thank you Bowtie for your perceptive admiration of Jonas' innovative work; there are few of us who recognise and acknowledge this. Innovative emilar branded drivers might appear next year with implementations of US patent 6,744,899; the slot aperture driver. I can be emailed at [email protected].

speakerdave
12-28-2006, 06:19 PM
As 'Bowtie' suspects, Jonas Renkus was at Altec. He was directly under Hilliard as Lansing had been twenty-five years earlier. In Anaheim, he developed for Ling-Temco-Vought the symbiotic construction using kapton for the compliance and coil former. He told me that the marketing people at Altec degraded the top end response because they wanted an intermediate performance between 290 and 288 responses and power capability. This is illustrated by the thicker aluminum locating ring on the 291 diaphragm that places the aluminum diaphragm further from the phasing plug.

Jonas pioneered the use of silicone elastomeric compliances in LTV's air modulators and used this innovation to avoid compliance fatigue in Altec's 594B 4-inch coil driver that was an alnico reissue of the WE 594A but are even rarer because the government was the purchaser. Most went to White Sands, NM.In the early seventies Hilliard and Renkus had a consulting business on Main Street in Orange and from here they introduced the elastomer surround into smaller format drivers. They established a joint venture project with Bud Bennett of Quad-8 to commercialize a new cinema system. I still have Jonas's prototype HF driver from this project.

The elastomer compliance and the drawings and prototype of what was to become the EC175 driver was the founding basis for Renkus Corp in 1974. The alnico EA model was prompted by Dukane; they marketed Coral drivers from Japan. With investment Renkus Corp became Emilar Corp (Mohageri, Lindsey, Renkus). Harold Lindsey was one of the Ampex founders and had an interest in horn systems from Ampex's 1950s foray into cinema sound using licensed JBL loudspeaker designs.

Emilar's 1970s diaphragm production featured elastomer compliances and this gave fatigue-proof reliability over the the prior art used by Altec, JBL, Coral with embossed Harrison-type complances. Also the resonances in the top octave exhibited by the embossed surround were absent in the emilar drivers but these elastomer diaphragm assemblies were expensive to produce.

I have the original correspondance betweem Jonas Renkus and Harro Heinz that I have shown to Steve Schell. In 1979, after Renkus-Heinz was producing the elastomer featuring 1800 and 3300 drivers and they were being agressively marketed by Algis Renkus, Jonas and I developed the triple lamination construction that resulted in models 1801 and 3301.

Both Jonas and then Algis left R-H and returned to a failing emilar in 1981. There the expensive elastomer construction was abandoned for the triple lamination technique and the 314 and 320 drivers were developed and produced. There was litigation from Heinz but he dropped the charges during the hearings. Subsequently this construction technique was adopted by B&C in Italy.

When emilar was abandoned by its British owned holding company E3MC in 1995, rent arrears were paid to the sheriff by Ken Brown and the locked factory was opened to him and the assets were plundered. There followed litigation threats from Algis Renkus to Plus One as Algis had been financing the company and taking leans on assets. I bought these from Algis' widow in 1997, incliuding the emilar trademark.

Thank you Bowtie for your perceptive admiration of Jonas' innovative work; there are few of us who recognise and acknowledge this. Innovative emilar branded drivers might appear next year with implementations of US patent 6,744,899; the slot aperture driver. I can be emailed at [email protected].
Thank you for that. It's always refreshing to get some definitive information about the histories of significant efforts in audio. Your contribution is appreciated here.

David

bowtie427ss
12-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Thank you for that. It's always refreshing to get some definitive information about the histories of significant efforts in audio. Your contribution is appreciated here.Strongly seconded!

I've always felt Renkus' innovations have gone sadly unappreciated by all but a handful who are familiar with them.

Mr. Widget
12-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Strongly seconded!

I've always felt Renkus' innovations have gone sadly unappreciated by all but a handful who are familiar with them.May I offer a strong third.

Unfortunately I have never had the privilege to own or play around with any of the Emilar or RH drivers or horns... I have always heard good things about them and it seems that they are virtually objects of legend... as opposed to "A Legend in Sound." :applaud:

Widget

4313B
12-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Nice posts usaaus and bowtie427ss!

usaaus
12-29-2006, 03:12 AM

Tom Brennan
12-29-2006, 06:49 AM
That was VERY interesting.