PDA

View Full Version : N96 Wiring Schematic

Zekeman
12-28-2006, 06:33 AM
N96 Wiring Schematic
Please confirm for me the correct wiring shematic for the N96 network to the LE5 and 044 drivers...are my assumptions below correct?

Mid
White Positive
White/black Negative

Tweet
Yellow Positive
Yellow/black Negative

Thank You.

clmrt
12-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Hello again

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L96%20Delta%20ts.pdf

Zekeman
12-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Please excuse my ignorance...It appears that the wires with the black stripes are positive on the midrange yet negative on the tweet??

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks.

briang
12-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Please excuse my ignorance...It appears that the wires with the black stripes are positive on the midrange yet negative on the tweet??

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks.

I just looked at the wiring schematic. I interpret it just as you do.:blink:

Paul C.
12-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Looking at the woofer portion, L1 is a low pass 1st order (6db/octave) filter.

Looking at the midrange, C1/C1A is a high pass 1st order (6db/octave) filter.

Those components determine the lower crossover point. With a 1st order filter AT THE CROSSOVER FREQUENCY, one driver leads by 45 degrees, the other lags by 45 degrees, only a total of 90 degrees phase difference. That is not enough to cause any problematic phase cancellations.

Looking further at the midrange section, L2 and C2/C2A comprise a lowpass filter for the upper crossover point. This is a sharper 2nd order filter (12 db/octave).

Now looking at the tweeter section, C3/C3A and L4 comprise a high pass filter for the upper crossover point. Again, this is a sharper 2nd order filter.

With 2nd order filters one driver will lead by 90 degrees, the other will lag by 90 degrees at the crossover frequency. That is a total of 180 degrees, which means they cancel out. If both drivers were wired - to ground, + to hot, they would cancel at the crossover frequency, and the response would have a huge notch at that point. The common thing to do is reverse the polarity of one driver. In this case they chose to reverse the midrange.

(Also, reversing the midrange polarity has even corrected that 90 degree total phase shift at the lower woofer to mid crossover point.)

So now, instead of the cancellation, the two drivers, right at the crossover frequency, are each 3 db down and add perfectly to give a smooth, flat response across that crossover point.

This is commonly done, there are many, many references to this.

Here is one: http://ccs.exl.info/calc_cr.html#second

So, green to woofer +, grn/blk to woofer -

Wht/blk to mid -, Wht to mid +

Yel to tweeter +, Yel/blk to tweeter -

In each case, the lead with the black strip goes to - for that driver.

(Additional note... all of the other components not mentioned above are to tame various resonances, level matching aka padding, etc)

briang
12-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Excellent post Paul C. :)