PDA

View Full Version : mr widget if you please

jim campbell
12-27-2006, 08:13 PM
i understand that amplifiers that have sat unused for a time can be brought back to life with a variac.i have access to 1 or 2 k variacs and am wondering how to do this.how long from zero to line voltage etc and is a line voltage of 117 vac enough/too much etc.i have a bryston 4b, 3b, and an sae 2200.thanks.........jim c

speakerdave
12-27-2006, 08:27 PM
There's some pretty good advice from LE15 thumper on this thread:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4256&highlight=variac

I recalled this and found it with a search for "variac," which brought up a number of threads.

David

Mr. Widget
12-27-2006, 08:42 PM
I guess you are trying to get me off the politics and back onto audio... probably not a bad idea. :D

On this particular subject however, I am not the expert... I'd follow Dave's advice and read up on it.

Widget

jim campbell
12-27-2006, 08:56 PM
thanx boys. ill read up and get back with any questions

Thom
12-27-2006, 09:53 PM
All that I can think of is maybe trying not to shock a filiment and I don't know if I'd buy into that or perhaps coax an old electrolitic to live that wasn't shure if it wanted to or not and that may be possible but it seams like just lengthening the fuse on a time bomb but who knows. Lots of new equipment, probably not tube amps, has protective circitry that won't let anything happen untill you reach a certain voltage. Can be a bummer for trouble shooting.

Don C
12-27-2006, 10:05 PM
The idea is that older electrolytic capacitors may have lost some of their insulating property, and they will short out and pop if turned on at full line voltage. Bringing them up slowly allows the insulating film to "reform" There are lots of places around the net where various methods are discussed.

Thom
12-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Not to far off. Does it work?

Cyclotronguy
12-28-2006, 03:31 PM
And not a bad idea to have a light bulb in series with the power line, sized wattage wise to limit the current to the device you wish to bring back up slowly.

Does it work, absolutely.... under the right circumstances

Cyclotronguy

richluvsound
03-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi Jim,

i'm not sure if you were writing about Bryston or perhaps it was another member . Anyway, as the 4345's will be complete shortly I thought I should think about driving them. Pass Labs Diy is one option but, I have heard some good things about Bryston too !
I would be grateful for any information regarding this combo.
Rich.

jim campbell
03-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi Jim,

i'm not sure if you were writing about Bryston or perhaps it was another member . Anyway, as the 4345's will be complete shortly I thought I should think about driving them. Pass Labs Diy is one option but, I have heard some good things about Bryston too !
I would be grateful for any information regarding this combo.
Rich.they are popular in england with some transmission line speaker designs by pmc.they are affordable,powerful and the 20 year warranty is a plus.they appear used on audiogon regularly and a 4b sst with a 3b sst would power your stuff nicely with actives or push the boat out with a 14b sst.i had a tri amp setup on my l 300's,top end an sae 2200 and with active 18 db octave slope they sang.i talked my bud with his 19's into one and he still loves them.

Robh3606
03-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Hello Rich

The guy with the 4345 and the Bryston is Bo Putnam. I believe he has 12 db cards. Look him up and send him a PM. Do a search as well.

Rob:)

boputnam
03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
The guy with the 4345 and the Bryston is Bo Putman. I believe he has 12 db cards. Look him up and send him a PM. Do a search as well. Yea, that'd be me. And it is the 10B.

I would consider the -18dB option, Rich, Linkwitz-Riley. That would avoid the Butterworth bump at crossover point.

However, if you are asking about amps, I am not that interesting of a dood. I'm mightily happy with my "industrial" (read SR) grade QSC's, CX-series to be exact. They are surprisingly rewarding, not only in SR world, but also in the home environment - particularly on the 2245's, which respond exceptionally well to their high damping factor.