PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie needing L212/112A Help

JDC
12-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I've just picked up my second set of L212s that has a 112A with a broken housing at one of the flanges (with the mounting screw hole). It appears the "flange" could have been bent and then finally cracked when installed in the tower base.

What are options to fix this 112A? Is it possible to replace only the housing/mounting flange? or, is a full 112A replacement needed (and where could you find one?)..

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

This is great JBL forum - really informative information exchange.

MJC
12-27-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't think it can be repaired. And the 112A is hard to find, due to the fact it was only used in the L212. But they do show up on ebay once in a while. It took me 2 1/2 years to find enough 112As to build a 5 channel system.
btw, there are no more recone kits for the 112A, JBL ran the last ones about 2~3 years ago. But they can still have the surrounds replaced.

4313B
12-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Yes, the 112A/2108 and 112H/2108H are tough to find.

I think that if you find a PR8 you can use that frame. I might even have a PR8 in a box somewhere.

GordonW
12-28-2006, 10:12 AM
If it's not too bent-out-of-shape, I've had luck using JB Weld to put cast aluminum back together. If it's strong enough to glue a lawnmower engine block back together (I can attest to that, having first hand experience!), then it should be strong enough for this!

However, test-fit the pieces together first... if they don't fit together FLAT and STRAIGHT, then you're going to have alignment problems. In that case, I wouldn't bother trying to reglue it... a frame replacement would be in order.

If the PR8/LE8 basket will work, this can be done... it just will require replacing the spider, foam surround and dustcap. This will seem ridiculously obvious to most people, but be SURE to UNSOLDER the lead wires from the terminals... do NOT cut them! You need all the length to re-attach to the terminals (which you will also need to transfer from the old basket to the new one). You'll have to cut out the spider and surround, and CAREFULLY remove all the remnants of both, from both the basket and the cone assembly. Good thing, is that suitable replacement spiders are available (you want what, in reconing parlance, is known as an 'A' or 'B' stiffness spider... the 'C' or higher stiffness units will upset the suspension so that the resonant frequency will be TOO HIGH), as are replacement surrounds...

It is a job that a VERY CAREFUL and skilled hobbyist can do, but due to the careful fitment and trimming required to get the old spider off and a new one on, it might be worth taking to a pro reconer... they've seen this kind of thing before...

Regards,
Gordon.

JDC
01-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks all for the advice...I'll advise how the "JB Weld" turns out and, if it doen't work out, then contact Giskard for the PR8.

Thanks again!