PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing THX/Dobly ADA8085

mrr2ro
12-27-2006, 12:27 PM
I have had this 4.1 speakers for the last 4 years and they have been outstanding on sound quality.

Long post, I am trying to cover all details.

For some reason, when I switch to the digital choices (Prologic / Quad) I get an incessant pops and crackling noise that over takes the sound.

The other Analog modes (Stereo, stereox2) work just fine no crackling.

Dolby digital works fine and sometimes crackles, but nothing like Quad Mode and Prologic. (Quad mode enables surround sound as Front left, front right, rear left, rear right) and then the subwofer.

I though it was the computer's built in sound, since the problem seemed to start when I upgraded to a new system that came with built in sound in the motherboard. (Realtek) so I bought a new sound card (E-bay / Audigy) and disabled the realtek on board sound. The crackling noise persisted.

I unplugged the speakers completely off the computer, just the power and the crackling sound persist in the (Quad and Prologic Modes)-- So I assume it is not the computer or sound card and it is something on the electronics enclosed in the subwofer housing.

Is it Power noise? wireless network noise? Ethernet cables noise? there is quit a bit of wiring around it but the wiring amount has not changed.

The only things that have changed are: Wireless router, new motherboard.

I have unplugged the wireless router and had no effect, the crackling still there. I power down the entire office, just letting the sound system plugged in and the crackling noise still there. I bought New Belkin surge protectors, and from there they are plugged to an APC UPS and from there into a power strip. the crackling noise still there.

I am thinking something in the electronics board had been affected.

This thing of crackling noise is similar to the noise when wires are making poor contact. Needles to say I have checked all the wiring is in good conditions and all the fittings and couplings are tight.

I am looking for options before I ave to crack the subwofer open and look for bad caps or coils.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Is it bad caps or coils what I have to look for? Or is there more to this crackling noise.

r2ro.

clmrt
12-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Here's your answer -

hjames
12-27-2006, 02:10 PM
These are Computer Speakers???
They are not the classic Altec Lansing speakers folks talk about here - unfortunately ... don't think anyone here can help.

I have had this 4.1 speakers for the last 4 years and they have been outstanding on sound quality.

Long post, I am trying to cover all details.

For some reason, when I switch to the digital choices (Prologic / Quad) I get an incessant pops and crackling noise that over takes the sound.

The other Analog modes (Stereo, stereox2) work just fine no crackling.

Dolby digital works fine and sometimes crackles, but nothing like Quad Mode and Prologic. (Quad mode enables surround sound as Front left, front right, rear left, rear right) and then the subwofer.

I though it was the computer's built in sound, since the problem seemed to start when I upgraded to a new system that came with built in sound in the motherboard. (Realtek) so I bought a new sound card (E-bay / Audigy) and disabled the realtek on board sound. The crackling noise persisted.

I unplugged the speakers completely off the computer, just the power and the crackling sound persist in the (Quad and Prologic Modes)-- So I assume it is not the computer or sound card and it is something on the electronics enclosed in the subwofer housing.

Is it Power noise? wireless network noise? Ethernet cables noise? there is quit a bit of wiring around it but the wiring amount has not changed.

The only things that have changed are: Wireless router, new motherboard.

I have unplugged the wireless router and had no effect, the crackling still there. I power down the entire office, just letting the sound system plugged in and the crackling noise still there. I bought New Belkin surge protectors, and from there they are plugged to an APC UPS and from there into a power strip. the crackling noise still there.

I am thinking something in the electronics board had been affected.

This thing of crackling noise is similar to the noise when wires are making poor contact. Needles to say I have checked all the wiring is in good conditions and all the fittings and couplings are tight.

I am looking for options before I ave to crack the subwofer open and look for bad caps or coils.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Is it bad caps or coils what I have to look for? Or is there more to this crackling noise.

r2ro.

mrr2ro
01-22-2007, 08:44 AM
I ignored the posts, and for less than$20 in parts, and I am back on business.

I was very surprised for the responses -- TRASH It --

Gee I am glad I am not having ANY of you guys fix anything, needless to say your posts will be taken with a grain of salt and 99% doubt.

Goes to show how these helpful forums are not as helpful since there are people that are not as technical nor as knowledgeable as they appear to be -- Just HOT gas.

hjames
01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
I ignored the posts, and for less than$20 in parts, and I am back on business.

I was very surprised for the responses -- TRASH It --

Gee I am glad I am not having ANY of you guys fix anything, needless to say your posts will be taken with a grain of salt and 99% doubt.

Goes to show how these helpful forums are not as helpful since there are people that are not as technical nor as knowledgeable as they appear to be -- Just HOT gas.

Looks like you misunderstood the site to begin with - nobody here offered to fix your gear. This place really isn't about computer speakers - really!

Looks like you only got 2 replies to your request. Of that, only one was a trash-it reply, and in mine, I said I wasn't familiar with it - and that it sounded like a computer speaker. I'll preface this with the comment that although I am a JBL owner - I do have a Altec iPod boombox - a nice enough piece of portable gear.

You do have to realize that this place is the Lansing Heritage website, and is devoted to gear related to James B Lansing and Altec Lansing.
Most of the Altec folks here are into the original Altec Lansing speakers, fairly large box speakers used in homes and in commercial theatres (Altec Lansing was VERY well known for the Voice of the Theatre speakers.

You also have to understand that the company using the name Altec now is basically just using the name - there is VERY little connecting the newer Altec Lansing gear to the company that built those theatre speakers and was related to James B Lansing. The REAL Altec pretty much died off 10 or so years ago ...

Also, most folks here are h-fi fans and wireheads and don't really think most computers have any relationship to high fidelity. If they don't know how to rebuilt a set of amplified PC speakers, thats not an insult, its just outside the knowledge they care about.

clmrt
01-22-2007, 10:47 AM
"-- Just HOT gas"

OK, I'll agree with that one.:bouncy: