PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about this beauty.

Zip
12-27-2006, 10:26 AM
:) Please tell me what this beauty is, itīs history and other info.
I could not understand why it sounded so well until I dismounted the speakers to see the front. Itīs a three way in one with crossover and all.
Sticker on back reads HEATHKIT Heath Company 8 OHM Speaker
Number on metal frame AS 143
Number on cone 301 2B08-H2
Woofer is 12"
Mid about 5 1/4"
Tweeter 2 3/4" square.
The original cabinets are ridiculous as you can see. I want to make good new compact cabinets for them. Perhaps one of you can advise me on this.

clmrt
12-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Probably an EV / Wolverine or Jensen OEM for Heathkit. Search through here to see if you can find anything similar...

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/

SUPERBEE
12-27-2006, 12:50 PM
The original cabinets are ridiculous as you can see. I want to make good new compact cabinets for them. Perhaps one of you can advise me on this.

:blink:

Don C
12-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't see an AS- 143 here, but these are close. From 1973.

Zip
12-28-2006, 10:20 AM
It is the 163 , my mistake , do you think it is worth building an enclosure for them? I have two. Is it worth working out the parameters on a cabinet building program?

Don C
12-29-2006, 12:13 AM
In my opinion, no.

GordonW
12-29-2006, 08:58 AM
IMHO, the only way I'd use them, would be for the mid-high drivers in a bi-amp system.

The parameters of that driver are such, that it's going to be difficult to get it to behave properly below 80 Hz, no matter what box it's in. The high Q factor makes it want a BIG box, but the low X-max (excursion) makes it want a SMALL box for safety.

My take? Bypass the whole problem. Put the driver in an aperiodic box (like an open back, but with heavy stuffing in the rear on a wire-frame to damp the back wave), and only use it for 80 Hz and up. Use a good woofer/subwoofer driver to handle the low end, with a crossover and second amp for them. You should be able to build both the Heathkit driver and the subwoofer, in a common cabinet... make an open-back damped chamber for the Heathkit in the top, and a standard box for the subwoofer...

Should get good results... this concept has been done before!

Regards,
Gordon.