PDA

View Full Version : DIY horn multicell (18 cell)

Huynh Chau
12-23-2006, 07:38 AM
I can speak a litle English, but I like Audio & DIY mullticell horn. I take photo by hand-phone.
Thank

Huynh Chau
12-23-2006, 07:42 AM
cont...

Maron Horonzakz
12-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Hmmmm....By looking at the shape of the multi septa vanes, It looks like a multi stack Bob Smith horn...But the vane shape is too narrow. Some polor frequency plots would be nice to see how smooth this horn is. Further study is needed...Could be promising if vanes were shaped to more of expotential pattern.;)

spkrman57
12-23-2006, 09:33 AM
I will be interested in the final finished pics!

Thanks for sharing!

Ron

Loud & Clear
12-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Nice! I would guess being wood. That would solve alot of resonance problems. Looks like alot of work, but there looking good... :)

Steve Schell
12-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Huynh Chau, you have done some fine work! Thank you for sharing it with us. Please send more pictures when your horns are finished, and share your listening impressions with us.

Onken in Japan used to make a large 15 cell wooden horn that has been seen in some very high dollar systems

Maron, the dividers in a DSH are fatter because all of the exponential expansion is accomplished in the horizontal plane; the top and bottom surfaces are parallel. In an exponential multicellular horn all sides of each cell are curved, so the curvature is not so pronounced. The curvature in Hunyh Chau's horn looks about right to me.

Maron Horonzakz
12-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Your right his vanes are slimmer than my Smith horns....Just an observation....I would like to hear his achievment, They look awsome.....I wonder what they will be attached to (drivers)???

Huynh Chau
12-23-2006, 11:00 PM
project horn 1805

Huynh Chau
12-24-2006, 12:13 AM
My system are wood horn , It s' very nice sound, all horn DIY . next time, I 've mullticell horn.

Ben Clarke
12-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Wow. Those are gourgeous!

matsj
12-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Very nice, what drivers do you use ?

regards mats

Paul C.
12-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Excellent work! Yes, please post photos when they are finished.

Huynh Chau
12-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Very nice, what drivers do you use ?

regards mats
next time, I 've to build another system active Xover:
- Bass: Subwoofer 2 pair 2235H with cabinet JBL 4350 (Xover < 80hz)
- Mid low: Woofer JBL 2226 (Xover > 80hz to 500 hz)
- Mid high: horn 290E + JBL 375 and horn 18 cell + Altec 288 16G (Xover 500hz to 2 khz)
- Tweeter: Fostex T500A MK2 (Xover > 2khz)
It 's sound fullranger
but now My system ....

JBLTEC
12-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Did you make the horns you are currently using?

Titanium Dome
01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm always impressed by such strong ambition. Good job.

JBL 4645
01-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Wow I look those horns fantastic. I just did a search to see which type of horns they used in Apocalypses Now. But instead I get this.

http://www.meyersound.com/about/milestones/ (http://www.meyersound.com/about/milestones/)

I was wondering about the type of horns that where used on the sides of the helicopters?

spwal
01-04-2007, 06:52 PM
dac biet

Huynh Chau
01-11-2007, 07:09 AM
continual....1803

vnav
01-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi all of guy from all over the world,
I am from Viet nam and I would like to tell a story of this horn,

Mr HuynhChau who lives in Vietnam and he is an audiophile, He loved to have wood horn (the same spec with Altec 1803B).

After looking for drawing horn in this forum, he found the man who is American had a long time in serving Vietnam-US War in 70s. This man accepted to give Mr Huynh Chau a drawing without any profit.

Mr Huynh Chau was very happy, BUT one ideal was emerged " WHY DO NOT MANUFACTURE THIS HORN AND SELL IN VIETNAM AND OVERSEAS FOR A GREAT PROFIT $$$$$, DO NOT LOSE THIS OPPORTUNITY"

All of audiophiles in Vietnam who use altec driver 288 have this good news from Mr Huynh Chau BUT when asked him to release this project to public without any profit, all of received answers are " NO, THIS IS VERY HARD TO HAVE CHANCE TO MAKE MONEY".

He and his colleague manufacture this horn and sell them with price USD 1000 per pair. As you know, In Vietnam, cost for producing a pair of horn is approximately USD 500. And as usual, no one want to buy this horn with suspicion about extreme precision of parameter after manufacturing.

I am from Vietnam and I am representative Vietnamese audiophile want to lay bare Mr Huynh Chau 's fact.HE is a very BAD GUY. I think that all of us are audiophile and do not want to make money from each other especially this case

IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY FROM ANOTHER AUDIOPHILE, YOU ARE SELLER NOT AUDIOPHILE.

Thanks for reading my true story!

If some one have this drawing of 1803-1805B multi cell horn, Pls help me,
I will public to all of audiophiles in Vietnamese audio forum!

Wish all of you have a very nice day!

Best regard!

louped garouv
01-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Mr HuynhChau who lives in Vietnam and he is an audiophile, He loved to have wood horn (the same spec with Altec 1803B).

After looking for drawing horn in this forum, he found the man who is American had a long time in serving Vietnam-US War in 70s. This man accepted to give Mr Huynh Chau a drawing without any profit.

Mr Huynh Chau was very happy, BUT one ideal was emerged " WHY DO NOT MANUFACTURE THIS HORN AND SELL IN VIETNAM AND OVERSEAS FOR A GREAT PROFIT $$$$$, DO NOT LOSE THIS OPPORTUNITY"

All of audiophiles in Vietnam who use altec driver 288 have this good news from Mr Huynh Chau BUT when asked him to release this project to public without any profit, all of received answers are " NO, THIS IS VERY HARD TO HAVE CHANCE TO MAKE MONEY".

He and his colleague manufacture this horn and sell them with price USD 1000 per pair. As you know, In Vietnam, cost for producing a pair of horn is approximately USD 500. And as usual, no one want to buy this horn with suspicion about extreme precision of parameter after manufacturing.

I am from Vietnam and I am representative Vietnamese audiophile want to lay bare Mr Huynh Chau 's fact.HE is a very BAD GUY. I think that all of us are audiophile and do not want to make money from each other especially this case

IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY FROM ANOTHER AUDIOPHILE, YOU ARE SELLER NOT AUDIOPHILE.

Best regard!

nice to hear the story from you....

I am honestly somewhat suprised that the cost to manufacture in VN is USD $500....

labor and material prices must be rising over there too....

anyway...

stay safe, and I hope the latest chicken flu outbreak isn't as bad as the last....

Huynh Chau
01-14-2007, 12:17 AM

Best regard!

I don't care.....! continual....1803

hjames
01-14-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't care.....! continual....1803

Hey, your horns look very fine!

I hope you enjoy listening to them - that's what its all about!

Zilch
01-14-2007, 11:29 AM
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY FROM ANOTHER AUDIOPHILE, YOU ARE SELLER NOT AUDIOPHILE.It's capitalism.

You would soon grow weary of making them for free....

Huynh Chau
01-14-2007, 11:14 PM
continual....1803b

Huynh Chau
01-17-2007, 02:52 AM
continu....1803

louped garouv
01-17-2007, 09:25 AM
thay are beautiful in my view...

SEAWOLF97
01-17-2007, 10:03 AM
He and his colleague manufacture this horn and sell them with price USD 1000 per pair. As you know, In Vietnam, cost for producing a pair of horn is approximately USD 500.

In a country where the average wage , working 10 hour days , 6 a week is $50US/month and beautiful wood is plentiful, I have trouble believing this quoted cost.
I was there last year and will return this year. Beautiful wood products are extremely cheap. I buy really nice 22 in. solid mahogany Huey models at RETAIL for under $4.
In VN, there is a very high upper class and very poor lower class and most of the country is in the lower middle. I don't really think there is much market for these within the country , as if you are really going to spend that much, it will be for an imported product that has much more prestige.

Did I miss something in all this ?

louped garouv
01-17-2007, 10:36 AM
In a country where the average wage , working 10 hour days , 6 a week is $50US/month and beautiful wood is plentiful, I have trouble believing this quoted cost.

Did I miss something in all this ?

I am honestly somewhat suprised that the cost to manufacture in VN is USD $500....

I kind of alluded to my suprise in cost of the horns, I think......

Huynh Chau
01-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Continu... 1803

JBL 4645
10-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Huynh

Nice finish to the horn. :applaud: What is the weight of the multi-cell horn without the compression driver attached to it?

RKLee
10-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Huynh Chau: What kind of wood are you using for your horn?

Tim Rinkerman
10-29-2007, 07:05 PM
The horns are truly beautiful...how many trumpets and trombones did you have to kill to build that railing?

Huynh Chau
11-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Now it s' very nice sound !!!

westend
11-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Resembles my system a lot...... at least the CD's scattered in front of the system.:) Really looks like an excellent speaker system.

spkrman57
11-03-2007, 06:35 PM
My systems never looks that good.

Those are to looked at as much as heard!

Thanks for the pics from a fellow horn lover!

Ron

PS: Nice touch on the drapes to help soundproof the room, and look nice also!

Thom
11-04-2007, 06:56 AM
I have no idea of their value, but for no profit I bet we would be lucky if he made two pair. If he can make someone happy with a pair of these, and make a profit also, then that does take him out of pure hobbyist but it still sounds like "win win" to me. In other posts on this forum I have read some labor estimates on horns like these and the hours were pretty high. Other woodworkers probably won't be interested but those of us who aren't will either pay his price or he will discover it is too high. I've seen examples like these on EBAY higher. Whether money actually changed hands, I can't say.

John
01-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey If I was looking for a pair of those I think $1000 is cheap. Remember some large westlake style horns were cloned a while back and they sold in the range of $1500. I would bet the hours needed to make these are ten times that of the westlakes.:blah:

A9X
02-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow. Simply wow!

Spectacular looking speakers and the craftsmanship is incredible. It's been a long time since I was really impressed with a DIY project and yours eclipses that.

Hoang Phuong
09-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Bác có thể cho chút hình toàn cảnh không ạ!:applaud:

felixx
09-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Very nice but....without those Tact's.
I tryed those and after that I tryed Lyndgdorf.
"Room perfect" and other DSP algorithms bullshit...in my opinion is a wrong choice for a "bad to the bones" audiophile....but that's me...

robertbartsch
09-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Nice set of horns!

Considering the labor involved and the fact the decline in the dollor based on Hank Paulsons massive US Governemnt bail out of Wall Street can cause a one-day oil price spike of 30%, I consider the price a relative bargin.

Has anyone determined that wood multi-cell horns have frequency responses that are superior to the low-buck plastic horns now currently in use?

I assume the woodies' relative value is based, in part, upon the pleasent looks of crafted wood; right?

My wife is flexible but these [wood] end up in the fire place if I bought a pair.

Huynh Chau
09-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Bác có thể cho chút hình toàn cảnh không ạ!:applaud:
Yes, It 's here.
- Foxtes T500MK2 Passive-xover >7.5 khz ,Bessel (12db)
- Altec 291-16A Ampli Tact xover 1.8khz -7.5 khz ,Butterwort (9db)
- JBL 2441 Ampli Tact xover 500 hz - 1.8 khz,Butterwort (6db)
- Altec 515 Ampli Tact xover 76hz-500 hz ,Butterwort (6db)
- 2 JBL 2235 Ampli Tact xover <76 hz ,Butterwort (6db)

Huynh Chau
05-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I've another horn ....

Huynh Chau
05-19-2009, 10:22 AM
I've another horn ....

rottbull
12-30-2013, 05:34 AM
hello

thoughtful and admiration for your work I have some questions for you

how to calculate and draw this kind of multicellular horn altec18?

is it possible to find the speakerplan of this?

or is that someone could show me how to do?

aussi je vous annonce le Décès de Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h (http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/enceintes-f16/deces-jean-michel-cleac-t37917.html#p670444)

http://forums.melaudia.net/showthread.php?tid=3516&page=1

best regard rottbull

NickH
12-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Your a few years late for this thread.

1audiohack
12-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Your a few years late for this thread.

That may be true but welcome to Lansing Heritage!

Happy hunting.

Barry.

rottbull
12-31-2013, 04:14 AM

Happy hunting.

Barry.

thank you

Lee in Montreal
12-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Yes. Nice wood horns. On the aspect of "Great profit", if people knew how much the box of "McNuggets" really costs, they would be very surprised but let's say that when you pay $5.00 at McDonald's it means it cost them 5¢ to produce. That's 100:1. Not to mention that 10 to 1 is the usual minimal ratio between retail and production cost of industrial product. It is even a much higher ratio on electronics.

So, even if those nice horns cost $100 to produce and they sell for $1000.00, I'd say it is business as usual. BTW Vietnam is not China. Don't necessarely expect cheap crap from Vietnam. And yes, they have access to very nice and cheap "precious woods" such as teak, which they also sometimes use for crating... arghh... ;-)

Happy New Year everyone.

NickH
12-31-2013, 06:08 PM

Happy hunting.

Barry.

Ops, sorry for being the grumpy Gus then. I should have been more welcoming. In retrospect I wasn't trying to be grumpy, just comes out naturally, lol.

There is also a thread on diyaudio about I guy doing the same thing. It had much better picture of the build process. It doesn't look to be a very difficult build if you've got a router table. But it is extremely time consuming. You can just imagine building a horn with 6 cells has 24 pieces to be made. I'm not making mine the normal way though. They'll just be square conical horns. I'll finish it one day,,,,,,,, I hope.

but there's one thing you can't deny, multicell horns sure look cool, lol.

Nick

more10
01-01-2014, 08:02 AM
There is also a thread on diyaudio about I guy doing the same thing.

The construction of a multicell horn (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/136964-construction-multicell-horn.html) by Petter Persson. I don´t believe he uses them anymore. Really hard work building them.

Lee in Montreal
01-01-2014, 08:23 AM
The construction of a multicell horn (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/136964-construction-multicell-horn.html) by Petter Persson. I don´t believe he uses them anymore. Really hard work building them.

Thanks for sharing. I just read it through. Very interesting thread.

"I spent two months, on evenings and weekends building, approx. 200 hours I would guess..."

200 hours to build a set. So, even with free material. Free tooling. At $2.50/hour child labour rate, a $500.00 production cost still makes sense for those who had doubts... ;)

Happy New Gear to everyone.

rottbull
01-02-2014, 04:13 AM

I contact him but his pm box is full