PDA

View Full Version : help replacing 2441 diaphragms

Jimmy D.
12-21-2006, 09:12 PM
I have a pair of new & original 2441 dias to install in a pair of 2440 drivers. I've heard that it's critical to center and to do it right you need a signal generator. Anyone got a procedure? I've got a signal generator. Also any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim D.

grumpy
12-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Those are pretty pricey diaphragms to be experimenting with. There are discussions
about how to do this buried here somewhere if you can deal with the Search function.
I've done my own large format JBL dia swaps/replacements, but I don't think I would
go the DIY route with these if they were mine (think JBL Authorized Service Center)...

-grumpy

Jimmy D.
12-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Yes they are pricey. I'd love to have an authorized installer do this for me, but I live in the deep south and I'd have to ship these monsters to looks like CA! Anyone know a dealer in the south who can do this? Most dealers can only get you the parts.

I saw an old post once before about this but I can't find now.

Jim D.

grumpy
12-22-2006, 10:35 AM
http://www.jblproservice.com/service/index.html

boputnam
12-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Some info, here on the How to replace 2440 diaphragm thread.

Not trivial... :no:

alskinner
12-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Another thing to consider on the 2440s is having the ALNICO magnets recharged. This is especially important if the drivers were used in high powered pro applications. Although the diaphrams can be replaced with some experience, if you are not used to it, I would recommend sending to an authorized JBL dealer that can do the entire job. I am not sure were you located but there are some good dealers in the south.

Regards
AL

scott fitlin
12-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Well, if you are going to do this, one essential tool for the job is a composite screwdriver that is non magnetic. The pull of the magnet will grab a standard screwdriver, and pull it right into the aluminum dome if you arent careful and used to doing this!

I really recommend finding someone who is experienced at doing this, and having it done for you.

Where in the south are you located? Maybe we can help you find the right place to have this done.

Jimmy D.
12-22-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm located in Tallahassee, Fl. I did talk to a repair center in Tampa, Speaker Exchange, who said they could do. It's a 5 hr drive :( but it may be my best option. Any other recommendations in the Fl/GA/AL area?

Jim

scott fitlin
12-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Theres plenty of places that can install diaphragms for you.

I dont know the Tallahasse area, but in Ft Lauderdale you have TM Sound, and Tommy Manino has competent people working there.