PDA

View Full Version : Doggone Private Message notifications

Steve Schell
12-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Is it possible for a user to disable his private message notifications? I get one each and every time I access the forum topics list page, and nothing I do will make it stop. When I click yes to load the message in a new browser window I receive a message that it was unable to open, due possibly to a popup blocker. If I have a popup blocker it is in McAfee and I don't want to disturb it. How can I make the irksome, never ending private message notifications stop?

Mr. Widget
12-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Click on User CP, then click on Edit Profile in settings and options in the left hand column. Then scroll down and deselect Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up which is at the bottom of the Private messaging section.

Widget

Steve Schell
12-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks much, Widget. Just like banging my head against the wall, it feels so good when it stops!

Ben Clarke
12-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Steve, I PMed you. Did you not see it because of this?

If so PM me or email to b c l a r k e XXXXX@XXXXX for me to reply to if you don't mind when you have a spare minute.

I'm not sure what robot scanning the web couldn't figure out my addy by what I just did, but it seems like the thing to do these days...

Steve Schell
12-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi Ben, a PM is headed your way.

Mr. Widget
12-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Ben, I edited your post since Steve obviously got the message.

Widget

boputnam
12-20-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure what robot scanning the web couldn't figure out my addy by what I just did, but it seems like the thing to do these days...I've seen techies use "nameATplace.zone" - this is apparently not picked-up.
User replaces the AT with @ and they are good to go...

Ben Clarke
12-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks, guys.

Ian Mackenzie
01-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Is it possible for a user to disable his private message notifications? I get one each and every time I access the forum topics list page, and nothing I do will make it stop. When I click yes to load the message in a new browser window I receive a message that it was unable to open, due possibly to a popup blocker. If I have a popup blocker it is in McAfee and I don't want to disturb it. How can I make the irksome, never ending private message notifications stop?

Steve,

I have had a similar issue and have isolated adware and spyware on my system hence I had closed my PM until further notice. It took days to sort the mess and aside from time the unwanted noise I just dont have time to read them.

Unfortunately people here are hell bent on sending pms and emails regardless hence I have blocked all emails from Lansing Heritage.

There is obviously a lack of respect for privacy:( .

Steve Schell
01-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi Ian,

The little popup boogers were plaguing me after getting my computer going after a new hard drive and having to do a fresh login to LH. Since following Widgets advice all has been well.

BMWCCA
01-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Why don't you all just click "close" and then use the link on LHF to open the PM files at your leisure? I must be missing something here. I've gotten the pop-up blocker message (Firefox), but now I remember not to "open in new window". You guys must be very popular! :thmbsup:

Ian Mackenzie
02-01-2007, 05:34 AM
No,

Its just I find it profoundly insulting and plain dumb when I close the mail box due deadlines and serious family matters then people go and shower me with pms and emails on stuff I just don't need to know about.

It really was quite deliberate. That and attempting to communicate with the highly strung (SPRUNG) mentality of those who clearly don't know what side their bread's buttered on makes it all a chore rather than a favourite past time. Its not going to happen again.

Titanium Dome
02-01-2007, 09:45 AM
No,

Its just I find it profoundly insulting and plain dumb when I close the mail box due deadlines and serious family matters then people go and shower me with pms and emails on stuff I just don't need to know about.

It really was quite deliberate. That and attempting to communicate with the highly strung (SPRUNG) mentality of those who clearly don't know what side their bread's buttered on makes it all a chore rather than a favourite past time. Its not going to happen again.

I pulled most of my contact info and closed PMs for similar reasons and one other. The thing that irked me the most was the use of PMs as a way to privately assault me, then invoke the right to privacy as a trick to avoid disclosure of bad behavior.

In a recently closed thread, Heather and Seawolf wrote

Unless you received explicit permission from the sender of the PM , it is VERY bad form to publically post it.
---------------------
Universally bad manners in every forum I've ever been in -
only done by folks trying to stir up dissent.

In most cases, they're correct, but it ignores the abuse of the PM as a form of protected intimidation. Since most everyone would think you'd be a rat (or a liar) to show someone's true colors by revealing an insidious PM, better to not allow PMs at all. Then there's no worries.

Now, unless you're a moderator (which I can't stop) or invited by me and I temporarily put you on my list, PMs are blocked.

Problem solved.

Robh3606
02-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Since most everyone would think you'd be a rat (or a liar) to show someone's true colors by revealing an insidious PM, better to not allow PMs at all.

I disagree. We have had people threatened with physical harm in PM's. The individuals are now banned. We come here to have fun and you should not have to put up with that type of abuse and intimidation. If anyone recieves a PM like that you can PM one of us and we will deal with it and maintain what ever level of privacy you want. There is no excuse for that and inaction alows others to suffer the same fate.

Rob:)

hjames
02-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I pulled most of my contact info and closed PMs for similar reasons and one other. The thing that irked me the most was the use of PMs as a way to privately assault me, then invoke the right to privacy as a trick to avoid disclosure of bad behavior.

Quote:
Unless you received explicit permission from the sender of the PM , it is VERY bad form to publically post it.
---------------------
Universally bad manners in every forum I've ever been in -
only done by folks trying to stir up dissent.

In most cases, they're correct, but it ignores the abuse of the PM as a form of protected intimidation. Since most everyone would think you'd be a rat (or a liar) to show someone's true colors by revealing an insidious PM, better to not allow PMs at all. Then there's no worries.

Now, unless you're a moderator (which I can't stop) or invited by me and I temporarily put you on my list, PMs are blocked.

Problem solved.

Honest Opinion - (and I've been a moderator in other times and places) -

Physical threats trump politeness - the message we discussed in that closed thread just revealed alleged personal opinions - but if someone PMs you and threatens you or your loved ones - hey - they gave up their right to courtesy and privacy when they made the threat! I think everyone would agree with that!

Ian Mackenzie
02-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Agreed on the former.

That is one of the key reasons I dropped the whole Moderator thing. Some of it must have taken a week to write because it took a week to read and digest! I jsut don't have the time fr that crap. It was an easy decision.

On for latter, these days there are only a handful of members I talk to openly and that is via private email. The preferred means is voice communications. I don't care about the expense, its not always what you say its how you say it and people do that badly on the forums and in emails. PMs are way too risky, information gets shared and facts get distorted and people loose trust very very quickly. I've been burnt way too many times.

People are weird, you stop talking to them because you want to do something else with your life and to them they then think your an ass, they suspect your a villian or working aginst them and blame you for all the silly crap their tiny tiny little minds create. Americans are freedom fighters but they also think your in their pocket for keeps. I mean Hello. That's not a swipe at 260+ million people but I am not the first to make that observation. End of Rant.(But my favourite TV show is 24, Jack is a good guy.);)

Unfortunately from this week I have had to put an indefinite ban on all outbound messages from this site without exception. I really don't care if your the President of GE and this includes blocking emails from known time wasters, nosey parkers and what I would call agendeners. This has come out of necessity and is not meant to be a unfriendly flag wave. I just don't have time to wade through and answer 50 emails and dumb notifications from even seriously dumber posts every day. My father requires medical treatment and my priorities have changed.

Every time I post I also have to log in twice and then it duplicates. That is a real drag.

Ian

Problem solved.

Rolf
02-02-2007, 06:24 AM
Every time I post I also have to log in twice and then it duplicates. That is a real drag.

Ian

THAT is what I been talking about in the thread "Logged off the forum".

Sorry to hear about your troubles Ian. Hopefully things will change to the better.

4313B
02-02-2007, 08:43 AM
On for latter, these days there are only a handful of members I talk to openly and that is via private email. The preferred means is voice communications. I don't care about the expense, its not always what you say its how you say it and people do that badly on the forums and in emails. PMs are way too risky, information gets shared and facts get distorted and people loose trust very very quickly. I've been burnt way too many times.I've come to the conclusion that PM's are best suited to conducting business one on one and email is best suited for sharing files. I think we've all been sufficiently burned with PM's and emails used for other activities and often the information proves incorrect. Phone conversations really are the preferred medium for long distance correspondence. I have always tried to view this forum strictly as a way to dispense information. I don't view a forum as a way to get to know someone or "bond" with them. In fact, it's a real good way to end up saying to oneself "Eeeew! I don't think I really want to know this person at all!" I really don't think some of these people read their posts, and if they do and think they are alright then I suppose they should take a few writing classes. But not the dramatic fiction writing classes please! Unless you are really good at it.
People are weird, you stop talking to them because you want to do something else with your life and to them they then think your an ass, they suspect your a villian or working aginst them and blame you for all the silly crap their tiny tiny little minds create. Americans are freedom fighters but they also think your in their pocket for keeps. I mean Hello. That's not a swipe at 260+ million people but I am not the first to make that observation. End of Rant.(But my favourite TV show is 24, Jack is a good guy.)I get your drift. There are a ton of really needy people in this country and many of them are looking for long term commitments, you know, BFF's. I witnessed it first hand for years on The Sierra Network and America Online. One couldn't sit down to play a MUD or MMORPG without constantly getting hit on. Case in point the HUGE fascination with online dating services. At last glance starting an online dating service was a surefire way to make a mint.

Thanks Ian and take care.

boputnam
02-02-2007, 09:09 AM
... My father requires medical treatment and my priorities have changed.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Ian. Hopefully things will change to the better.:yes:

BMWCCA
02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm truly sorry to hear so many of the stalwarts of this site are having so many problems. I sincerely hope mechanical and personality issues don't compel those with so much to share to turn off completely. Since I found this site not that long ago, it has renewed my enthusiasm for a hobby I've been dabbling in for forty-five years, reinvigorated my interest in a brand, sound and philosophy I swore allegiance to back then, turned me on to new music, taught me how to repair what I've got, helped me spend money I shouldn't and otherwise wouldn't have, and in general proved to me I'm not sick (or at least there are others who have it worse than do I) just because I have four pairs of JBLs and six Crown amps.

I hope you all get things sorted out, that you know there are those of us who appreciate your sharing your expertise and time, and that folks will respect your privacy. Regardless of how it works out for you, thanks and all the best to you. :cheers:

As for the monitors and web masters: Thanks for a great site. I've got no beefs about how anything operates and no problems of which I am aware. :applaud: