PDA

View Full Version : Surround 8340a or 8330a for Home Theater?

Minatogawaman
12-19-2006, 06:36 AM
We are putting a home theater with a screen and projector in a room about 14 x 12 feet. There will be three LSR32 as the L,R and C channels and a sub.

Which do you think (if either) is a better choice in a room this size for home theater surrounds, the 8" 8330a or the 10" 8340a? The 8340 is more efficient and uses a compression driver...which entices me, but considering the size of the room, two 10"s each on the side and back walls combined with three 12"s up front and a 15" sub might be far too boomy.

This stuff will be powered through separate Accuphase P300 and P250 amps running off a Yamaha THX.

As always thanks for your wisdom.

Cheers
Minatogawaman

herve M
12-19-2006, 10:14 AM
One needs much distance to use 8340a. The 8330a is the best choice.
I use 3310, the more economic, with 4343 in front, and that sound already very well!!
:)Hervé

Mr. Widget
12-19-2006, 11:05 AM
I agree... for movie soundtracks you really don't need a lot of fire power in the rears. In my HT I have three front speakers with quite a bit more oomph than the LSRs have and I am using some small 6 1/2" two-ways in the rear and they keep up fine... now for multi-channel music, that's a different story... for that you'd be best off with two more LSR32s for rear duty.

Widget

Minatogawaman
12-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks to both of you for steering me in the right direction. The previous incarnation of our home theater had Klipsch Heresy IIs on L and R and Klipsch budget range Center and Rears (little KSRs actually sound pretty good) with dipolar Wharfedale Diamond DFS on the sides.

Maybe I should just keep the Wharfedales if you dont think there will be a timbre mismatch with the LSR32s on L,R and C up front. What do you think? Would the 8330a be a better choice?

I am deeply infatuated with the LSR series speakers, I have a 5.1 system in my studio with the old (dented up too) LSR28p on L & R and LSR 25P in center and rear-L and rear-R and the SLR 12p sub. It sounds glorious even though ideally it would be LSR28s all around. My living room system is LSR6332 powered through a Chinese EL34 tube amp with a 6312 sub doing the low stuff.

Cheers
Chris aka Minatogawaman