PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any Gauss recone kits?

jbl_man_uk
12-18-2006, 04:49 AM
hi Guys,i know its not JBL related,but i need help in finding four recone kits for Gauss 4583 15" drivers...they dont have to be original,an after-market kit would be fine.
thanks,Ian.http://uk.geocities.com/homers_web_page/gauss5.jpg

pargon
12-18-2006, 06:29 AM
As usual with these sorts of questions, the answer is Go To Bill! GPA guys did a very nice job of reconing a pair for me. What are you doing with these old dinos? My pair are installed in my house as subs. Give the Great Plains Audio guys a call. Good Luck!

GordonW
12-18-2006, 08:24 AM
hi Guys,i know its not JBL related,but i need help in finding four recone kits for Gauss 4583 15" drivers...they dont have to be original,an after-market kit would be fine.
thanks,Ian.

Actually, it IS Lansing related... Ed May (of JBL in the 1950s and 1960s) was one of the co-founders of Gauss, and was one of the more important driver designers there...

Regards,
Gordon.

louped garouv
12-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Actually, it IS Lansing related... Ed May (of JBL in the 1950s and 1960s) was one of the co-founders of Gauss, and was one of the more important driver designers there...

Regards,
Gordon.

that explains alot....

jbl_man_uk
12-19-2006, 02:15 AM
i tried Great plains audio,they dont have any...im sure someone must do a re-cone kit for these? there must be litterly thousands of these old Guass units lying around blown in peoples garages and sheds.these are far to good to simply throw away.

scott fitlin
12-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Here is a Canadian company that seems to have recone kits, aftermarket of course, for many out of manufacture speakers and brands. I have no idea of how they perform, as I have no experience with their products, but, they might have what you need. They are offering gauss woofers on ebay, so they would be worth a try. Contact them to see if they have gauss parts.>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://stores.ebay.com/Santon-Audio-Limited

GordonW
12-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Check your local reconing/speaker repair shops, for anyone who gets parts from MWA Speaker Parts, from Arizona, USA. I KNOW they have an aftermarket 4583 kit, because I've USED them before. Pretty good parts, too... edge-wound coil, and a cone very much like the original (in both dimensions and composition). You'll have to re-use the original "spider ring" (the black plastic ring between the two spiders), but they supply everything else...

Regards,
Gordon.

jbl_man_uk
12-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys,i will try emailing them.:)
Ian,london/uk

jbl_man_uk
12-23-2006, 02:16 AM
Does anyone know if MWA Speaker Parts in Arizona are still in business?i emailed them 4 times,no reply?:blink:

hjames
12-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Does anyone know if MWA Speaker Parts in Arizona are still in business?i emailed them 4 times,no reply?:blink:

Well, it IS the holiday season ... they could be away for the holidays, or they may be trying to close out existing backlog for the end of the year.
Also, some folks aren't as responsive to emails as you'd think ... give em a week or so ... maybe after the first of the year...

lorimer7
01-14-2007, 11:22 AM
You could try Total Audio in Kansas City. They reconed some Gauss 12's for me, and did a mighty fine job.
http://www.totalaudiosystems.com/contact.htm

Ask for Richard the owner.

ReEdger
01-18-2007, 10:51 PM

Oh, they certaintly are still in business. I talk with them at least once a week. The problem is that MWA doesn't do retail sales. So I doubt Dave, Rob, or Colleen will be answering those emails.
You will have to find a repair shop who does business with MWA, and have them get you the parts that you need.