PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Verniece
12-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Hello, I have had a radio in my possession for a few years now and would like to know more about it! It has the name Bel-Air on the front and inside on the speaker it says Lansing Manufacturing, Los Angeles, CA On the speaker itself it has stamped Model 110. It is a 3 tube radio that appears to be VERY old. The Manufacture number on the back is 1731 and it also says No. 650596. I am hoping you can help me with any info on this radio as I have not been able to find it anywhere on the web after extensive searching. Thank so much!
:blink:
Edit- I just noticed the sticker on theback of the radio says RCA

Steve Schell
12-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Your radio was likely made in the early to mid 1930s. Lansing Manufacturing Company was James B. Lansing's first company, established in Los Angeles CA in 1927. The company made radio speakers by the thousands for many radio set manufacturers.

Look at the page linked to below. The first two pages shown are from radio supply catalogs dating to 1933 or 1934. The model 110 5" speaker is listed on both pages.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/lmco/ads/ads.htm

I couldn't find any references to Bel-Air radios with a quick Google search. Perhaps it was a local southern CA manufacturer; there were many during this era.

Lansing's radio speakers had a reputation for very high quality, which led to his collaboration with MGM Studios in the development of new, state of the art motion picture theatre loudspeakers in 1935. The rest, as they say, is history, and you can find out much more in the history articles on this site.

Zilch
12-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Hello, I have had a radio in my possession for a few years now and would like to know more about it!May we see some pics of your radio, please?