PDA

View Full Version : LE85 bolts

Chef Henry
12-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Has anyone else had trouble posting?

Can somebody direct me to a source of original equipment bolts of the type used to attach the horn and driver on the LE85? I need 3 of these.

If these are unavailable, perhaps someone can tell me the precise length, diameter and thread, and I can pick some up at the hardware store. My concern is stripping the threaded fitting on the compression driver by using a bolt of the wrong size.

Top of the Season to All, -Cheffy

Earl K
12-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Can somebody direct me to a source of original equipment bolts of the type used to attach the horn and driver on the LE85? I need 3 of these.

- The thread is a standard North American size / readily available at just about any hardware store .
- The size is ; 1/4 - 20 .
- I usually buy the shiny zinc plated types though I happen to have lots of the gun-metal grey variety .

- 5/8" or 7/8" length ( depth ) works well enough for most of the older alnico drivers ( add the thickness horns' mounting flange to the depth of the threaded well within the driver, to get an idea of what length you should buy ) . Plain style or lock washers are good to make up the distance on overly long bolts .

- The newer 2430/1/5 neodymium drivers have very shallow threaded wells in their face plates, necessitating the use of shorter ( as in, 1/2" ) 1/4 - 20 bolts .

:)

Zilch
12-14-2006, 11:28 AM
The original acorn-head bolts are available for vintage stuff. My local hardware has them in beautiful brass, as I recall.

I use studs (long 1/4-20 setscrews) and nuts on 243x drivers.

Too much hassle picking different bolts for different horns/waveguide flange thickness.

Also consider hex cap screws, if you can get an allen wrench in there. Button heads, particularly.... :thmbsup: