PDA

View Full Version : bought 4412 pair today

SEAWOLF97
12-12-2006, 06:28 PM
was scanning CL and saw ad for 4206s and was interested. As I was talking to seller , I refreshed and a pair of 4412's appeared. Declined on the 4206 and hightailed off to check out the 4412s.
Drivers were perfect (xcept one mid dust cap slightly indented, not bad) cabinets were beautiful ...much richer veneer than the 4410s , grills were only the real issue.
one had one corner wear , other had broken peg and 1 JBL ID strip was gone (where to get a replacement ??)

sounded great, so loaded them into the p/u. Just came home and setup. They sound just like the 4410s, but with added bass.:D
everyone is home , so cant really "test" them. Anyway, I'm a happy camper.:applaud:
By the time we were done they only cost me $40 more than I paid for the 4410s which I think will be the B set for rears.
Guess the pretty Marantz's will have to go......:(

pix to follow

TOM

Zilch
12-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Grilles were still available from JBL Pro Parts last time I checked....

SEAWOLF97
12-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Grilles were still available from JBL Pro Parts last time I checked....

any idea where to get just the ID strip ?

Zilch
12-12-2006, 07:46 PM
I'd inquire at the same source....

SEAWOLF97
12-12-2006, 08:16 PM
the seller was asking $400 , which is guess is about market value ...(some eBay seller in Germany has a set with BIN of US $1,520.65...yeah, right)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300056463723&rd=1&rd=1

By the time I left, gave him $290 ... which I think is a pretty fair deal :bouncy:

SEAWOLF97
12-13-2006, 12:26 PM
On the way home with the 4412s, I stopped at Ja-Mac - the reconers- to pickup a foam surround for the 127-H1. One of them ( on the 4410s) just disintegrated.
A customer speaker set was waiting for pickup. Some HPM 150s....weird !! They have lower chamber for LF and a plex top so you can see the HF. The HF looked like a stack of about 6 clear CD blanks , stacked on top of each other with about an inch between them. Anybody know about this tweeter ? Was that just a diffuser ? :blink:

jackgiff
12-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I bought a pair of 4412's from audiobeer, and veneered them in rosewood. I bought a pair of grilles from JBL parts, and just today threw the old ones away, since I am closing down my office. They should still be in the trash tomorrow, and if you want them, let me know, and I will send them to you. The cloth has holes, and there are some broken pegs, but the ID strips are good. I will need your mailing address.

SEAWOLF97
12-13-2006, 04:40 PM
I bought a pair of 4412's from audiobeer, and veneered them in rosewood. I bought a pair of grilles from JBL parts, and just today threw the old ones away, since I am closing down my office. They should still be in the trash tomorrow, and if you want them, let me know, and I will send them to you. The cloth has holes, and there are some broken pegs, but the ID strips are good. I will need your mailing address.

YES , YES , YES

I will PM you my address, and PAYPAL you the shipping charges.....:D

SEAWOLF97
12-13-2006, 06:00 PM
I bought a pair of 4412's from audiobeer, and veneered them in rosewood.

So , how do you like them ?? any pix of the re veneered cabinets ?

I have mine on 18 inch stands , 3 in from wall. Sounds fantastic , the best that I've owned.

When I auditioned them , seller had them balanced on top of 48in stands, about 4 feet from wall. He sold them as he didnt like the sound he was getting.

They sound COMPLETELY DIFFERENT/BETTER in my setup.

Love these new stands..they are 11x14 tops. exactly the width of the 4412s.

SEAWOLF97
12-14-2006, 07:41 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180062868152&rd=1&rd=1

jackgiff
12-14-2006, 12:24 PM
I did my best Dumpster Diver trick this morning, and recovered the grilles and shipping containers. It was easier for me to just repack them, and ship the whole lot. I will PM you the UPS tracking number.

So , how do you like them ?? any pix of the re veneered cabinets ?
I showed pictures of them on this forum about a year ago. Just do a search for "rosewood 4412's" and pick out my thread.

Those stands look very nice. My 4412's are now sitting on a soffit about ten feet high. They don't sound great up there, but are taking a back seat to some DIY 4430's, thanks to Zilch.

Merry Christmas.

Storm
12-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Hey Jack -

Want to sell those Vals?

:)

-Storm

briang
12-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Grilles were still available from JBL Pro Parts last time I checked.... Ja, that's what the website says...I ordered a pair and found out they are backordered...:(

SEAWOLF97
12-14-2006, 03:49 PM
I did my best Dumpster Diver trick this morning, and recovered the grilles and shipping containers.

I showed pictures of them on this forum about a year ago. Just do a search for "rosewood 4412's" and pick out my thread.

Those stands look very nice. My 4412's are now sitting on a soffit about ten feet high. They don't sound great up there, but are taking a back seat to some DIY 4430's, thanks to Zilch.

Merry Christmas.

Can't thank you enough , Jack. If you ever get to Portland, give me a call...we can do lunch

Your rosewood upgrades look AbFab. Really outstanding. Mine are the dark walnut and pretty in their own right. They were so dry, just drank in the lemon oil for 3 or 4 applications.

The stands are Brazilian cherry with birch. Have leveling feet, which turned out to be a nice feature and they are REALLY SOLID.:applaud:

stands thread :

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13320

jackgiff
12-14-2006, 04:58 PM
My first pair of JBL's was an E-Bay buy of 4312's. They sounded awful good, but didn't really strike my fancy. I was used to my 846A Valencia's and the 4312's sounded similar, but not better. Then I bought the 4412's. Wow, they beat the Altecs hands down. Then after reading Zilches Quick and Dirty 4430's thread, I had to see what I might be able to do myself (With an awful lot of help from Zilch). I bought a pair of L-200 cabinets and fought all of the problems of finding the drivers. Eventually I had my own pair, and they are superb. They are used in the Library system, which is strictly two channel, and driven by Marantz models 3800 , 510M, and 115B.

My Valencias are now confined to the bedroom (two pairs) and the garage (1 pair). The Living room is for the mesquite Trusonics HT speakers I built, and the 4412's sit over the entertainment area. They are certainly nice to listen to at times, but the library is my listening area of choice.

Lunch in Portland sounds good, if I ever get there. I hope you really enjoy the 4412's. They are dynamite speakers, no doubt.

By the way, how do you refer to an older thread in a new post?

Hey Jack -

Want to sell those Vals?
Hi Storm,

Of the three pairs I have, I might consider selling a pair. The price would be exorbitant. The pair in my avatar was restored by the cabinet maker who built the equipment enclosure, and are not for sale. The pair in my garage were purchased at the factory in Anahem in 1967, and are not for sale. One pair in the bedroom were restored by me, and may be for sale. The difference in the restored pairs is that the cabinet maker used a polyurethane finish, while the pair I did is simply oiled walnut.

bone215
12-14-2006, 11:18 PM
those 4412's that Jack did in new veneer r really nice looking, very nice

there is a thread I started where I sought advice on whether the 4412A's I bought should be used vertical or horizontal and also tweeter in or out, some good advice ensued . .
my 4412As r an absolute joy to listen to . . I wish I had the room to have 6 for surround sound duty . . I would think dynamic range would not be a problem.
Enjoy your speakers and happy holidays.

SEAWOLF97
12-15-2006, 09:21 AM
By the way, how do you refer to an older thread in a new post?.

open 2 windows , copy URL and paste into active message . maybe there's an easier way, but I tend to do everything the HARD WAY (according to the OL)

SEAWOLF97
12-17-2006, 08:45 PM
the family was gone tonite and left me "home alone". My first chance to give the 4412's a workout.

The setup:
Carver CD or XM satellite
Denon 110wpc receiver
Pioneer SG 995 EQ
Nu Reality SRS unit
JBL 4412's about 8 feet separation , SRS dialed in for about 10-12 foot virtual separation.

XM had Pink Floyd "Echoes" ...geeze, then I put in Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" ....although XM sounds very good, it still does not quite match a good CD.

Sitting at the triangle apex, I was hearing what others have referred to as "3D sound". Heard new details in music I've listened to for years. I would call the speakers "very honest" , cannot detect any colorations.
If you want bass, wow , its sure there , but only when the music decrees it , not boomy or artificial. Vocals sounded REAL.

Overall , I would highly recommend this model , and if you can find a pair in good condition , run , dont walk , and treat yourself to a set. You deserve it , don't you ?? :coolness:

bone215
12-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Seawolf97, how high up off the ground do you have them?

SEAWOLF97
12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Seawolf97, how high up off the ground do you have them?

I experimented a bit and found 20 inches perfect for me . Was looking for 20in stands when a real nice pair of 18s came up on CL.

REally dont hear much diff in 2in decrease , but would not go any lower. ;)

LowPhreak
12-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey guys, I have my 4412's mounted horizontally on brass 1 1/4" dia. x 3/4" H cones, sitting on stands about 26 1/2" high, which puts the midpoint between the midrange & tweeter (or the center of the woofer) at about 34 1/2" high. It's not quite high enough at the listening position, so I have the brass cones only under the front baffle to give an upward tilt of a few degrees.

(A side note: Yes, the cones DO help to clean up the sound with 4412's. BTW, I have just tried the Auralex MoPads (http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp) under the speakers, and I found that they damped the cabinets too much...as if something sucked the life out of them. I found also that the bass output dropped by a good 2-3dB. I was expecting such a 'tightened' response but not to that degree. Way too dry for me so I sent them back, but they would be a good way to get either positive or negative tilt.)

I've tried them on taller stands than these, but then they decouple from the floor too much and I lose low end in this room. When I finally get my sub I'll probably mount the 4412's a few inches higher so the center line is about 38" high and no tilt for best mids/highs. That would be near perfect for seated listening, and I won't have to worry about output below 60Hz with the 4412's.

But before I removed the rear cones for the tilt, I adjusted the positions like this:

From the line of the L mid/tweeter to the R mid/tweeter line is about 9' 4" (woofers on the "inside"), and the distance from listener to each speaker is about 10 1/2' (I don't have room on the L side to spread them out any further). I compensated for that by angling the tweeters to a point behind the listener's head, instead of directly at the listener.

Since the speaker wall to listener wall distance is 13', I used the "odd integer trick" (in this case '7' works well: 13' / 7 = 1.857 x 12 = 22.28"), so I placed the center of the front baffle 22 1/4" from the back wall. It works great.

I've tried them "divided by 5" (31 1/4") out from the wall and bass & lower mids are still not too bumpy and imaging is better, but then they intrude a little into the walking area. :(

Anyway, I guess by all of this I'm saying: experiment with placement! Don't just settle for whatever height stands you can find, and I would say that the 4412's sound better and more accurately soundstage when mounted horizontally. If you do it right, you won't lose much - if any - low end by raising them, and in fact your bass response might even be less boomy and cleaner overall.

LowPhreak
12-24-2006, 05:54 AM
I bought a pair of 4412's from audiobeer, and veneered them in rosewood.

jack, I searched "rosewood 4412" and nothing came up. Got the link? I'd like to see how they came out.

If I keep these original cabs, I might like to do mine in cherry.

jackgiff
12-25-2006, 11:08 AM
jack, I searched "rosewood 4412" and nothing came up.
Try your search for "rosewood 4412's". If you search for only one 4412, it won't find it.

hjames
12-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Try your search for "rosewood 4412's". If you search for only one 4412, it won't find it.

Try here - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6964 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6964)and scroll down the page a bit ...

LowPhreak
12-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Try here - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6964 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6964)and scroll down the page a bit ...

Thx for the link. They look very good, but I'm going to try for a somewhat lighter color than rosewood or walnut.