PDA

View Full Version : theaters still using altec VOTTs

fluw
12-12-2006, 05:12 PM
hi y'all

i am iching to hear the VOTTS again in a theater but i do not know of any. does anyone know of some or any in the US?

regards
todd

Mr. Widget
12-12-2006, 06:47 PM
There was an "Art House" theater here in San Francisco that still had A-7s in one of their auditoriums... it was horrible sounding. No bass, lots of screeching mids and no treble... fortunately they upgraded about 5-10 years ago.

Those A-7s were pretty good back in the days of glorious monaural optical sound that had no range.

Widget

Tom Brennan
12-12-2006, 08:46 PM
A couple or so years back I saw Roger Ebert's showing of the restored Lawrence of Arabia at the Virginia Theater, a restored old movie palace in Champaign Illinois. Robert Harris, the fella that restored the movie, was there and Ebert had a couple of crack projectionists in from Hollywood so the picture would be displayed properly, Harris said it never looked better. People were oohing and aahing at the quality of the picture.

The sound, from Altec A4s with freshly diaphragmed 288s on Mantarays, was almost as good as the picture. It sounded just like..... Lawrence of Arabia.

Loud & Clear
12-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Yep! The theater right here in town is using three a7's. They sound like crap right now. If only I could get the owner to realize I know what I'm doing, and let me have a go at that theaters sound. I would double his business. They are running everything with Peavy amps:barf: . They got rid of there BIG Western Electric tube amps *BIG MISTAKE*:screwy: . I wish I could have got my hands on those, I think they may have thrown them away:blink: . Tell ya what, when they had the WE's hooked up to the system, and everything was in phase. OH! what a sweet sound, bring's tears to my eye's:crying: . The VOT A7's are built for great sound in an entire theater environment. There isn't a bad seat in the house. Here's why: The VOT A7's are a combination of a port for nearfield, and a horn for longer throw. Makes everybody happy that is watching the movie. I am a big fan of the Altec Lansing VOT speakers. Thanks for letting me vent...:die:

Storm
12-13-2006, 12:11 AM
:D

Loud -

Find yourself a home version of the VOTT and you will be in heaven.

I have the 846U which is a home version of the VOTT and I could not be happier. They are hooked up to my receiver and I use them everyday - movies, Tivo, and music.

Before you know it, there won't be any around or the prices will be high. Grab a pair now for under $1500 and you will never have to buy another pair of speakers in your life!

-Storm

Cyclotronguy
12-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Colfax, California; Colfax Theater. Very old and small movie house, Vitavox era equipment in the lobby.... now up to date with the best house sound system the 1950's had to offer.

Took the family there for the last "Star Wars" opening. Went late at night, sound was way better than that at the brand new ciniplex. Vocal were clear and articulate... good extension.... highs were adequate for movie soundtracks.

With all due respect to Widget, who can hear and shows excellent taste in everything I've seen him do (picks a great place for lunch too).....I'm guessing the implementation is all in the details.

Cyclotronguy

Loud & Clear
12-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Colfax, California; Colfax Theater. Very old and small movie house, Vitavox era equipment in the lobby.... now up to date with the best house sound system the 1950's had to offer.

Took the family there for the last "Star Wars" opening. Went late at night, sound was way better than that at the brand new ciniplex. Vocal were clear and articulate... good extension.... highs were adequate for movie soundtracks.

With all due respect to Widget, who can hear and shows excellent taste in everything I've seen him do (picks a great place for lunch too).....I'm guessing the implementation is all in the details.

CyclotronguyYep! Those old theater Craftsmen, were not looking at the dollar like we do today. They designed things Right, and with pride. Even those older theaters were a Masterpiece in design. The one we have here in town is Awesome. I've always wished, that one day I could own it. Imagine the audio tinkering you could do. I'd try for a full house every night. If not every night, every weekend. My hat is off to the Ole' Boy's that did it Right... :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Mr. Widget
12-13-2006, 12:14 PM
With all due respect to Widget, who can hear and shows excellent taste in everything I've seen him do (picks a great place for lunch too).....I'm guessing the implementation is all in the details. Thanks...

With all due respect to the mighty A-7... I am sure that the Lumiere had pretty awful implementation.... for one thing, I knew I was listening to an A-7 because it was in the first row of seats!

Widget

Loud & Clear
12-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks...

With all due respect to the mighty A-7... I am sure that the Lumiere had pretty awful implementation.... for one thing, I knew I was listening to an A-7 because it was in the first row of seats!

WidgetPut garbage in, and garbage comes out. Perhaps, like here in my town. They replaced the good amps etc. With equipment from a crackerjack box... ;)

louped garouv
12-13-2006, 12:25 PM

Loud -

Find yourself a home version of the VOTT and you will be in heaven.

I have the 846U which is a home version of the VOTT and I could not be happier.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/1980-vott.htm

I too really dig the sound of old ALtecs, but are the 846s really considered VOTT?

I thought the only VOTT cabinet ALtec Marketed for home use was the Magnificent...

RE: the 846s
are the components of the same era & type, yes
were they ever called VOTT by the factory, ??? I dunno....

but had thought that the VOTT line was typically named things like:
A1, A5, A7, A8, etc.... with whatever variation giving an idea of the specific load/crossover components...

Steve Schell
12-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I have a sad story, one I think I have told on the forum before. I work monthly in a small town up in the mountains. There is a small theatre that has been in the same location since 1953. It had a simple single speaker sound system. I asked the proprietors, two sisters, and was told that their dad had said the speaker had been there since 1953 and was an Altec. I asked them one time if I could see the speaker and they gave me a key to the rear entrance, a hatch accessed from a ladder. When I opened it up I found the entrance sealed with plastic; they had gotten a new screen a couple of years earlier and the installers had likely done this. I didn't want to disturb the weather seal, so never did see the speaker. It was probably a model 800 or early A7 VOTT.

I had always marveled at the sound of that speaker. Not much bandwidth on either end, but very good clarity and superb intelligibility of speech- best I ever heard in a movie theatre. Following the dialog in a movie was effortless.

A couple of years ago I visited the town and noticed that the theatre looked all fixed up. When I went to the movies that night I learned that there were new owners who had poured a bunch of money into "improvements." There was a new surround sound speaker system, which sounded too loud, confusing and had flabby bass and titanium highs- yuck. After the movie I asked about the old speaker and was told that it had been moved to the parking lot out back, sat out in the rain and snow for a couple of months until someone asked if they could have it.

So the little Altec performed flawlessly and probably without service for fifty years until it was hauled outside and discarded as refuse. Lovely.

slxrti
12-14-2006, 03:45 PM
About 15 years ago I heard a pair in a small theater @ great america.
It was Dynamic with plenty of bass. Very impressive.

slxrti

SEAWOLF97
12-14-2006, 04:53 PM
went to TGIF for lunch. They had some small BOSE speakers on brackets near the ceiling. They sounded even worse than normal blose speakers.
Took a look. they were turned inward , grills touching the wall. Kinda kills the highs (if there ever were any):blink:

CONVERGENCE
12-14-2006, 06:44 PM
I was lucky to see the Wind Jammer in Cinerama on a 90 foot curved screen equiped with 5 A-2X . That's 2 Cell horns with 2 drivers each on top of the front loaded basss horns. Then the next best films were The Sting, Cabaret, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and The Sound Of Music . These were shown on 70mm with A-4 ,3 behind the screen.

I saw Moulin Rouge on JBL in a THX certified cinema. Someting wrong here
1: To Loud; 2 Vocals not as clear as on A-2 .

The large frame film is making a slow comeback . To be cost effective there needs to be 300 cinemas.

THe new equipment will be available in 48FPS or 24FPS. At 48FPS one can sit anny were in the cinema and have a spectacular view.

As for the venerable VOTT . These cinema's have all closed in the late 80's to early 90's. Perhaps one of the major reason was Suburbia. New Megaplex cinema's had to be built were there were none .

The last film on VOTT was "FINAL ANALYSIS" in a small theatre equiped with Altec surrounds and most probably Altec A-5 behind the screen. The A-7 Were not a common theatre speaker for some bad experiences but that is another long story.

.................................................. .......................

mikebake
12-14-2006, 06:50 PM
I have a sad story, one I think I have told on the forum before. I work monthly in a small town up in the mountains. There is a small theatre that has been in the same location since 1953. It had a simple single speaker sound system. I asked the proprietors, two sisters, and was told that their dad had said the speaker had been there since 1953 and was an Altec. I asked them one time if I could see the speaker and they gave me a key to the rear entrance, a hatch accessed from a ladder. When I opened it up I found the entrance sealed with plastic; they had gotten a new screen a couple of years earlier and the installers had likely done this. I didn't want to disturb the weather seal, so never did see the speaker. It was probably a model 800 or early A7 VOTT.

I had always marveled at the sound of that speaker. Not much bandwidth on either end, but very good clarity and superb intelligibility of speech- best I ever heard in a movie theatre. Following the dialog in a movie was effortless.

A couple of years ago I visited the town and noticed that the theatre looked all fixed up. When I went to the movies that night I learned that there were new owners who had poured a bunch of money into "improvements." There was a new surround sound speaker system, which sounded too loud, confusing and had flabby bass and titanium highs- yuck. After the movie I asked about the old speaker and was told that it had been moved to the parking lot out back, sat out in the rain and snow for a couple of months until someone asked if they could have it.

So the little Altec performed flawlessly and probably without service for fifty years until it was hauled outside and discarded as refuse. Lovely.

You are polite and respectful, I am more insistent; I'd have opened the hatch, and resealed correctly if necessary. I would have HAD to know what was in there.

CONVERGENCE
12-17-2006, 06:21 PM
From fluw (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=2452)

theaters still using altec VOTTs

( hi y'all

i am iching to hear the VOTTS again in a theater but i do not know of any. does anyone know of some or any in the US?

regards
todd )

Hi Todd I have good news . There's a theatre called LYRIC THEATRE
in Blacksburg, VA on College Avenue completely restored with 3 -A5
Altec Lansing Main Speakers.

http://www.thelyric.com/tour/start.php

Loud & Clear
12-19-2006, 05:10 PM
From fluw (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=2452)

theaters still using altec VOTTs

( hi y'all

regards
todd )

Hi Todd I have good news . There's a theatre called LYRIC THEATRE
in Blacksburg, VA on College Avenue completely restored with 3 -A5
Altec Lansing Main Speakers.

http://www.thelyric.com/tour/start.phpTotally Awesome! Crazy, we had a theater here in town called the Lyric Theater. There are alot of similarities. They closed it down, I believe in the 1950's.

They tore it down in 1983. It could have been fixed up. What a great place it was. It just set there abondon. The owner got kicked in the head by a horse, and left him with a wicked stroke. Most people couldn't understand him, and kinda dismissed him as crazy. My father, brother, and I could understand him, and we helped him get his funeral flowers out of one of the rooms in there. He had a daughter that was killed in a car crash. Man, he was collecting everything in the place, broken markee glass, the works.

Now see, I had been in this theater before. When we were kids, we would crawl through the coal shoot, into the furnace room, and through a heating vent to get inside, and check it out. There were a huge stack of speakers. With a huge sectorial horn on top. I was intrigued, but didn't care much.

To make a long story short. I heard alot of noise on day. I went behind my house, that is where the Lyric was located. I saw a crazy man on a bulldoser. Just plowing away at it. I ran like hell over to the theater, to check on the speakers. To my suprise the owner was on the stage, with debri falling all over him. I ran, and stopped the dozer. We got the owner out with much reluctance. I then asked the guy on the dozer, if I could have the speakers. He said,"for $40.00" well I grabbed them. Vandels had taken the woofers. I got the boxes, horn, and drivers.

I still have the low freq. cabinets. They are International Projector corporation BIG W horns. I also got the sectorial horn and the drivers. But back then there wasn't PC's, and I didn't realize they would be worth alot someday. So I chucked the sectorial horn, and kept the drivers. They were huge. I traded them to a guy for some car part. I still have the double driver throat though. They are the same thread as the WE-555 drivers.

Later that day we helped the owner, take his valuables up to his storage shed. To my surprise, the hole big shed was full of the same low freq. horns, and the high end horns as well. He was trying to give the whole bit to us. But like I said,"we didn't understand there worth". We just said a polite no. Damn!

Later, when I knew a few thing's. I tracked down one of his daughters. I Salt Lake City, I asked her about the speakers. She told me that some guy from Provo came, and picked them up, and hauled them off. Along with all those Western Electric tube amp. Do you know what that stuff is worth? I can't win for losing. Drat!!! :o:

12-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks...

Widget

Well there you go, the rising mids were designed to be rolled off by the screen, so naturally they sound screechy without a filter in front of them...

CONVERGENCE
12-19-2006, 06:44 PM
We took a lot of these things for granted. Thought they were going to be there for ever. I lost track of Altec Lansing when their main Contractor closed down. Nobody new they had moved from Anaheim to Oklahoma.

Cinema's were still using Altecs . Then all of a sudden these theatres closed and Megaplex theatres started to spread in the suburbs.

It was the donught city sindrome. In late 90's New york city cleaned up it's downtown area and evry other major city followed the trend. Many old theatres have been restored and the trend continues.For medium size cities also.

We have severall more projects in the works around here.

The old cabinets if warped have to be reconstructed.Components are available at GPA as well as those huge Manntaray horns.

.................................................. ....................

CONVERGENCE
12-19-2006, 08:20 PM
There was an "Art House" theater here in San Francisco that still had A-7s in one of their auditoriums... it was horrible sounding. No bass, lots of screeching mids and no treble... fortunately they upgraded about 5-10 years ago.

Those A-7s were pretty good back in the days of glorious monaural optical sound that had no range.

Widget

The story of the A7 was short lived and Cinema owners reacted and changed quickly to A5. The reason was the 1" throat wich is to small.The word got out so fast that Altec Lansing Main speakers became the norm with models from A5 and up and remained in theatres untill the Early 90's.

.................................................. ..

Paul C.
12-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Just pony up $11,800.00 USD (ahhh, free shipping!) and you can have a pair of new A7's.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp

CONVERGENCE
12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Just pony up $11,800.00 USD (ahhh, free shipping!) and you can have a pair of new A7's.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp

Thanks but no thanks. The Xo frequency is wrong should be 500 Hz not 900 Hz. Second for theatre application wrong horn and HF driver to small Need 1 1/4 "throat Driver. Large Driver.

The A-5 is the only acceptable Vott for theatre usage .It has the same unequalized frequency range as the A-4 and A-2 with wings.

If you get the parts and have the cabinets built you can get a better product for half the price.

.................................................. ...........

fluw
12-21-2006, 08:25 PM
convergence

thank you for the information i will hav eto make a trip down there!
wish they weren't using using QSC power though.

surely there must be other vott theaters still out there!?

regards
todd

CONVERGENCE
01-02-2007, 08:10 PM
convergence

thank you for the information i will have to make a trip down there!
wish they weren't using using QSC power though.

surely there must be other vott theaters still out there!?

regards
todd

You have the Uptown Theatre in Washington Dc with Altec A-4 mains JBL subs and Altec A-7 Surrounds 12 of them.

You also have the Senator's theater in Baltimore with the same configuration.

There is an interesting article as to why 10,000 one screen palaces
closed. On the Senator's web site.

http://www.senator.com/senator2.cfm

.................................................. ................................