PDA

View Full Version : Remagnetizing 2441?

pangea
12-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Hi everyone!

It's been a while, I've been ill but am better now.

Now to my question/problem.

I've noticed that my 2441 drivers have lost a bit of that sparkle and the micro details and as I unhooked them and went for a straight 3-way setup, with my 2235/2123/075, which gave me back, some of the lost details.

So, now I wonder how much the optimum Tesla would be?

I noticed that the 2440 has a higher Gauss level than the 2441. So therefore I wonder if there is a point to actually remag them as 2440's, or is that a bad idea?

As always, I'll be very grateful for any help or input on this!!!

Cheers:cheers:

Roland

Mr. Widget
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Glad you are feeling better...

From your description I wouldn't be certain that your drivers need a recharge, but it certainly is possible. As for charging at different levels, the type of magnetic material, amount of magnetic material, and the design of the magnetic circuit are what dials in the actual flux level... what I mean is that if you recharge your drivers they will only take the amount of charge that they were designed to take... you cannot "super charge" them and it is certainly not a good idea to try to undercharge them.

I have noticed the different specs in JBL's published literature myself... it seems that the older drivers had slightly tighter tolerances and therefore slightly greater flux levels... over the years the tolerances have been backed off to facilitate greater production runs. The result is it is frequently quite difficult to install newer diaphragms in some of the older drivers... it is absolutely possible, but it is not plug and play and really should be left to a quality conscious professional for optimum performance.

Widget

pangea
12-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Glad you are feeling better...

From your description I wouldn't be certain that your drivers need a recharge, but it certainly is possible. As for charging at different levels, the type of magnetic material, amount of magnetic material, and the design of the magnetic circuit are what dials in the actual flux level... what I mean is that if you recharge your drivers they will only take the amount of charge that they were designed to take... you cannot "super charge" them and it is certainly not a good idea to try to undercharge them.

I have noticed the different specs in JBL's published literature myself... it seems that the older drivers had slightly tighter tolerances and therefore slightly greater flux levels... over the years the tolerances have been backed off to facilitate greater production runs. The result is it is frequently quite difficult to install newer diaphragms in some of the older drivers... it is absolutely possible, but it is not plug and play and really should be left to a quality conscious professional for optimum performance.

Widget

Thanks for the input!
I went to a magnet factory where they measured the flux and to my surprise, they are with 1.85 T, still better than the spec's! :D

Amazing, after nearly 25 years, they are still better than perfect.

I've been thinking what may have prompted me to take them out.
I now think it could be that the 2441's greater efficiency, maybe is amplifying the noise level as well, which maybe is masking the micro details.

Maybe I need to replace the Behringer Ultradrive, with a Driverack 260.
I have one of those on loan right now, so I will see if there is enough noise reduction to justify the much heftier price tag.

Roland