PDA

View Full Version : XLR POLARITY WITH 6230 6260 6290

R Beardsley
12-10-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm using a combination of all of the above for my home theater. In reading the manual, I see that the XLR are reverse polaritiy from all the other equipment I am using. Can I assume I can leave the cables alone, since all drivers are connected the same way? Duh, is this a dumb question?

Zilch
12-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Yes.

I get in trouble with them when I start mixing 1/4" TRS cables in there, which don't invert....

speakerdave
12-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm using a combination of all of the above for my home theater. In reading the manual, I see that the XLR are reverse polaritiy from all the other equipment I am using. Can I assume I can leave the cables alone, since all drivers are connected the same way? Duh, is this a dumb question?

Actually, it depends whether you end up with your total system being inverting or noninverting and whether you care about absolute phase.

David

opimax
12-11-2006, 09:34 AM
I was told that you should hook your speakers up so when positive side of the battery to whatever speaker terminal required makes all woofers (can't see small speakers) move outward.

on my reciever connects I pull the my banana plugs out, touch a 9v battery to it. if the woofer moves out I make sure the side that touched the positive of the battery goes into the red connector on the amp. If the woofer moved in I turn the plug over.

I have mixed years JBLs.

Another way to test phasing is w/your Radio Shack spl meter. Same passage in a song in phase vs out of phase will be a higher DB reading...

Mark

johnaec
12-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Another way to test phasing is w/your Radio Shack spl meter. Same passage in a song in phase vs out of phase will be a higher DB reading...Not completely true - the higher/lower dB reading will only occur at the crossover frequencies. At other frequencies there should be no effect on volume at all.

John

Zilch
12-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Not completely true - the higher/lower dB reading will only occur at the crossover frequencies. At other frequencies there should be no effect on volume at all.And that's only if the drivers or speakers are out of phase with each other at the listening/measuring location.

The overall phase doesn't matter unless it's a sound reinforcement or recording installation. Only Mr. Widget would care, otherwise. ;)

[What Speakerdave said....]

louped garouv
12-11-2006, 11:31 AM
LoL...

if your overall phase was reversed, wouldn't it be easy enough to switch that? just invert the initial output from the Preamp from the present orientation?

johnaec
12-11-2006, 02:35 PM
And that's only if the drivers or speakers are out of phase with each other at the listening/measuring location.Yeah - 'forgot about the L-R thing - I assumed with his combo of amps that he was bi/tri-amping.

John

R Beardsley
12-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Hi John, what a memory! One of the 2245s, which used to belong to you, is in an honored place. :) Subs are in 10cf enclosures tuned to 20hz, driven by a 6290. All 7 channels are 4412's in modified enclosures. Front 3 channels are 6260's, with 6230's for the surrounds and rears. The processor is an Anthem AVM30 (with balanced outputs) and I am using a pair of Sabine Graphic-Q's to the L and R, and both subs. I do need to get the system properly equalized, but it sounds nice.

Zilch
12-12-2006, 11:59 AM
All 7 channels are 4412's in modified enclosures.I'm not lettin' THAT slip by without further inquiry.

Tell all about the modifications, please.... :yes:

Mike Caldwell
12-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Hello
The real problem would be if you added another amp that uses the now standard pin 2 + to your rooms set up. A side note to QSC amp users the older MX and EX series used xlr pin 2+ but the 1/4 inch jack input used the ring as + and the tip as -.

Mike Caldwell

Tom Loizeaux
12-12-2006, 06:16 PM
... Only Mr. Widget would care, otherwise. ;)

Hey, I care about absolute phase too!

Seriously, if all of your amps/speakers are in the same phase, you're OK.
If you might add an amp, you should get everything in phase. The best approach is to adjust polarity so a positive signal moves the cones forward.
With the JBL Urei 6200 series of amps, this is easy. Just reverse the wires on the banana connectors.

Tom