PDA

View Full Version : JBL and Xmas time in Hamburg

Hoerninger
12-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Today we drove to Hamburg to have a nice time. There is a new shopping passage, a former street now with a roof, very beautiful made ("Europa-Passage").

There are new shops, one with finest hifi gear, ... Nautilus ... electrostatic speakers ... exotic turntables. This day I even listened to an amp for 15000 EUR. I asked a seller: Do you have JBL too? I did not expect that they would have any. He replied that he does not know JBL. "Is it of any importance?" he asked. I mentioned, read any hifi gazette in january about CES, care for a statement speaker. We walked along, we saw a shop, a shop only for Bose.

You may think what have I to do with Bose. I'll tell you, nothing:
When Bose came up with their first speakers, it's quite a time ago, I read an AES paper about their work. It seemed to me that they claimed that their approach was real innovativ. Unfortunately I had read some time before "Auditory Perspectiv" of Bell Labs (1934)
http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/bell.labs/auditoryperspective.pdf
which was really innovativ. Bose could not convince me.

In an elevator there was a service man of another electronic-shop. I asked him whether he knew JBL. "Yes, of course." And he pointed out, it must be pronounced "Dschi Bi El". Another middle aged woman in the elevator abrupt said: "JBL, I know for decades, surely".

For a moment I thought she made my day, but it was only a little episode in a wonderful day.