PDA

View Full Version : A new generation

Tom Loizeaux
12-09-2006, 12:15 PM
If we show young people the wonders of big speakers and the pleasue of listening to great HiFi, with real low end, maybe we'll see audio quality live on past this age of MP3s and iPod music and tiny computer speakers.

Tom

Hoerninger
12-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Some years older ...
... they liked building it and they enjoyed the new listening experience. :)

loach71
12-09-2006, 12:28 PM
If we show young people the wonders of big speakers and the pleasue of listening to great HiFi, with real low end, maybe we'll see audio quality live on past this age of MP3s and iPod music and tiny computer speakers.

Tom

Bill Cowan's daughter, Thalia.

Titanium Dome
12-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Seconds later, the dust cap crushed, she grinned and asked, "Daddy, can I have another one?"

(It's a joke, boys; take it easy.)

Titanium Dome
12-09-2006, 12:54 PM
The simple fact is that the market is expanding exponentially to meet the needs of the consumers. You can't fight it.

Somewhere I mentioned that my first "hi-fi" device was an NEC eight transistor radio with a 3" speaker and a single earphone. That's what was available in the marketplace that appealed to me that I could afford. I had no idea there were JBLs or anything else at the time. That wasn't my fault. JBL had nothing for me.

When our neighbors got a Magnavox console stereo, suddenly I knew there were better things and not long after, we got our Magnavox stereo console. It was like magic.

As I grew up, got summer jobs, and went to bargain box retailers, I got to buy a real Electrophonic stereo, then a Kenwood receiver and cheap a/d/s speakers, then finally saw JBLs for the first time when the L100s came to Woodville Appliance.

If someone had come to me putting down my NEC as junk and telling me I wasn't serious or smart about audio, then I would not have grown into the fan I am today.

As Tom points out, we have to show the advantages of "big" audio. My neighbor's Magnavox console was the wake up call for me. Every iPod or other MP3 player user is a potential hi-fi enthusiast waiting to be led to a better sonic life.

Titanium Dome
12-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Some years older ...
... they liked building it and they enjoyed the new listening experience. :)

Very cool, Peter.

What's the story behind it?

Tom Loizeaux
12-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Bill Cowan's daughter, Thalia.

Bill,
I apologize for using your photo without asking you first...but I loved it when I saw it and saved it to my very large file of stored JBL images. I had no record of where is actually came from.
Hope you don't mind my using it.

Tom

Ducatista47
12-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Very cool, Peter.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11909&highlight=paragon+xxl

Hoerninger
12-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Seconds later, the dust cap crushed, she grinned ...

Ouch-a-roonie!! :blink:

PS: o.k. not really me, found Bo saying it here at another place.

Hoerninger
12-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Clark,

thank you for linking.

TiDome,

in the upper classes of a german Gymnasium there may be maid "Projekt-Unterricht", teaching which is much more affected by the ideas - and work - of the pupils. Last year it was the first time at our school that the pupils could choose a theme. Suprisingly a pupil came to me asking, wheather I would accompany a course "Hornlautsprecher".

It was one of these moments where you know within a part of a second that you can't say no. I did not know what would happen, but I knew that I had a fund of literature and some experience. I said yes but I claimed that it would be only a theoretical course.

Finally we got some money, with a stringent calculation it was enough, and we got a carpenter, who made the drawings with Autocad, which controlled his machines - this is still extraordinary here. It was a real advantage! So the pupils could build these horns only with glueing and screwing but without sawing .

It was a great experience, not only for the pupils but for me too.