PDA

View Full Version : Why is all the good stuff marketed over sea's??

kingjames
12-04-2006, 05:40 PM
I always wondered why it seems that a lot of the good and expensive line of speakers are always marketed over sea's? Doesn't JBL think the people in the USA can afford them?, just curious!!:banghead:

hjames
12-04-2006, 08:21 PM
I always wondered why it seems that a lot of the good and expensive line of speakers are always marketed over sea's? Doesn't JBL think the people in the USA can afford them?, just curious!!:banghead:

Well - near as I have seen, most of the folks here are into Vintage, which doesn't bring any new money to Harmon industries. I know a lot of the new listeners can't see any reason to listen to anything other than heavily compressed audio files (as opposed to audiophiles), so they aren't looking for high end gear.
I gather that the deeper pockets for JBL speakers these days is in the Asian market.

boputnam
12-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I gather that the deeper pockets for JBL (large format) speakers these days is in the Asian market.We've talked about this a couple times.

The only word in your post I might change, Heather, is "deeper" to "willing" (besides adding "large format" :p ).

The NA market went to an outa-sight-outa-mind mentality and sound quality has largely struggled as a result. That said, most in NA don't want to have to learn anything about the gear - plug-and-play is the preference, simpler the better, back to the game/DVD. Cosmetics rule over cabinet design, but as we all well know, proper bass requres a proper-sized cabinet!

The same struggle has frustrated component manufacturers, too. It's harder and harder to find quality gear - fewer and fewer makers. The likes of Behringer are swamping supply... :help:

Shane Shuster
12-05-2006, 12:06 AM
The NA market went to an outa-sight-outa-mind mentality

I somewhat disagree. The Hi-end hardcore buyer still buys big speakers. Wilsons, B&W, Magneplanar, ect. all have big speakers as flagships. The lower tier buyers want small.

JBL offers the K2 and Array series in the USA. You can buy them right now. Asia does seem to offer more in the $4000-8000 range. (4428, S4800)

GordonW
12-05-2006, 08:04 AM

The people overseas are willing to pay for quality.

May seem like a harsh indictment of NA consumers... but there's a very small cadre of people in NA, that are cognizant of true quality. You have to work very hard to find those people.

This is why, when I finish my design project and put it into production (about $25000 price range), one of my FIRST target markets will be Asia... I'm lucky enough to have contacts available over there, though one of my partners in the venture. Otherwise, there'd be very little economic sense in doing it at all...

Regards,
Gordon.

merlin
12-09-2006, 12:46 PM
I have no idea why you don't get the good stuff - if it's any consolation we don't in Europeee either.

But the world is shrinking and importing is a lot easier than it was. I decided a while ago to import a pair of 4338 completely unheard but on hear say and the buzz from the Japanese underground. It took four days for my new speakers to turn up and they are utterly wonderful. Early next year they will be going to another forum member to make way for another project, but I would encorage anyone looking for something in the $6K to $12K range to seriously consider importing either 4338 or 4348.