PDA

View Full Version : Altec Cabinet, or DIY copy?

Storm
12-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Is this an Altec Cabinet?

I opened one up and found an EVM 15L series II speaker in it, I presume that is what is in the other one.

Could they be Altec cabinets or DIY cabinets?

Thanks for your help.

BTW: Picked these up on local Craigslist for mere $30.00.

Funny too - they were less than 2 miles from me.

If they are not Altec cabinets, it still would be fun to get some Altec woofers, crossovers, and horns to create another pair of voices.

:D

-Storm

johnaec
12-03-2006, 03:15 PM
'Looks like JBL 4560 to me: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1971-pro/page05.jpg

John

Storm
12-03-2006, 03:20 PM
I would never even of thought of JBL.

How old are they, would you say?

Are they worth selling, or using?

Thanks. -Storm

johnaec
12-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Looking at the catalogs in the library here, they're at least in the early 70's, but 1984 is the last catalog I see them in. They're supposed to be good down to 50hz, but were definitely primarily designed for theaters and live sound. With the right speakers I'm sure they're highly efficient, but I couldn't attest to their sound quality. 'Big suckers - 'probably fun to play with... ;) Like everything else, you'd need to find the right buyer to be worth much. You'd certainly get more for the speakers than the cabinets. Since you probably don't have fireplaces where you are, I'm not sure what I'd suggest for the cabinets, though they're certainly capable of putting out a lot of sound...

John

KJ Hall
12-03-2006, 03:34 PM
"I would never even of thought of JBL."

S/B: I would never even HAVE thought of JBL.

Sorry to point this out but I see this all too often on techie boards and it reflects badly on us. Also, It's not should of, could of or would of, it's would have or would've, etc..:blah: :blah: :blah:

Zilch
12-03-2006, 03:43 PM
It's unlikely JBL nailed 'em together.

DIY, most likely....

Gary L
12-03-2006, 05:14 PM
"I would never even of thought of JBL."

S/B: I would never even HAVE thought of JBL.

Sorry to point this out but I see this all too often on techie boards and it reflects badly on us. Also, It's not should of, could of or would of, it's would have or would've, etc..:blah: :blah: :blah:

WTF, On your third post your'e giving english grammer lessons!!!

Gary

speakerdave
12-03-2006, 05:59 PM
WTF, On your third post your'e giving english grammer lessons!!!
The assumption is that someone might appreciate being told he is embarassing himself, like having spinach stuck on his incisors. If KJ wants to do that, there's no reason he shouldn't. Pride in ignorance is not a particularly endearing trait either.

David

johnaec
12-03-2006, 06:15 PM
It's unlikely JBL nailed 'em together.

DIY, most likely....Where do you see nails? It looks like those are screws holding the backs on.

John

Storm
12-03-2006, 07:00 PM
John,

You are correct, they are screws and ALOT of them! It took me nearly 1/2 hour to take off one back and I was so tired I did not take off the other one.

So, when I sell these - do I market them as genuine JBL 4560 or DIY?

Thanks.

-Storm

grumpy
12-04-2006, 09:27 AM
To provide an idea of value, I picked up a pair of these in what I would guess to be a
similar condition (fairly thrashed, but structurally sound) for $25 each (no drivers).
DIY or not, they appear to be "well used." Even the acknowledged DIY boxes I bought had
a JBL logo sprayed on the side. I'd -suggest- calling them "4560-style cabinets" unless
you can prove otherwise.

I've had fun with them at parties (500Hz xover + 2350/2446 on top), and a short-lived
run in the living room (just too rough looking). Nice purchase, in any case.

-grumpy

k_kensington
12-06-2006, 04:19 AM
R&R Cases also produced a clone of the 4560, but they should have a metal ID tag riveted to the rear.

Since I see no handles and the jacks aren't recessed, I would think they're DIY.

If they were built properly though, there would be 3 braces behind each of the 1/4" flares and they would be dadoed into the top and bottom 3/4" pieces and those would be dadoed into the sides.

We used to use them in SR between 100 and 1.5k, but that 500hz x-over point sounds good for home if your horn is capable.

Depending on the thickness of your gasket, you may want to shim them 1/4" off of the baffle, to prevent cone contact.

Sure, they're gawdy, but extremely smooth and efficient.

Truck bed coating does wonders for those old cabs.

johnaec
12-11-2006, 08:17 AM
So, when I sell these - do I market them as genuine JBL 4560 or DIY?There's an eBay auction about to end with a real set of these - try comparing yours with them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160059567104&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Also, note the pic below from the auction - it looks like JBL labeled even their black utility cabs.

John