PDA

View Full Version : after market surrounds

Thom
12-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Has anybody replaced surrounds from different suppliers enough to have noticed any difference to comment on. I understand that there are differences in kits but I mean difference in finished product, assumming everything works out alright. Also what is the "right" way to do the brake fluid trick. I assume it is not to take an artist brush and nicely paint each side and then leave it that way. That gives very nice results that turn into 10 year old wharfdale surrounds within a couple of weeks. I'm thinking that maybe washing the brake fluid off with alcohol (every Citroen mechanic knows that alcohol washes off brake fluid) might have been a good idea. Nothing lost as they needed replaced if the brake fluid didn't work, but you must use less than what goes on with an artist brush. Man I thought that brake fluid was a miracle. Just like I thought hot glue was a miracle right befor the sun came out in August and every thing fell apart.
I saw some 2235's on EBAY with red surrounds.

Zilch
12-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Brake fluid is but a temporary (6 months or so) fix, and you risk contaminating the cone thus rendering full recone the only available rehab option.

I would NEVER do it on, like, LE15A, except, perhaps, to sell to some deep-pocket fool who insists that Lansaloy is the clear route to audio nirvana.... ;)

[It'll get 'em there without them cracking loose in shipping, is what....]

GordonW
12-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Foam's a better material than Lansalloy, all around.

Even notwithstanding the parameter changes with age (ie, stiffening), foam has better damping/mass/elasticity balance than Lansalloy.

Just change them to foam...

Regards,
Gordon.

Thom
12-05-2006, 12:46 PM
I appreciate your time, but I was already that far. Are all foam surrounds equal? I've sort of gotten that not all kits are equal, in terms of shims or no shims pull dust cap or not. But, what I'm really trying to find out is the finished product I'm OK with my own workmanship, some times the difference between a good job and a bad job is recognizing when a job is going bad and being willing to pull the plug and start over.( later if that is what is called for) .Have you seen differences in foam one vender to another? This isn't an attempt to cheep out, sometimes (in general, im ignorant here thats why I'm asking) when there are differences cheaper buyes better thats why I'm turning to experience. I read on Roger the mac guys (I'm so bad with names) that poly ether won't go bad, I've also read that poly ether is what the cheap mfg.s use. Help please if you know. Also I saw on Ebay a pair of 2235 with red surrounds. probbably vege surrounds? Any difference but color (colour for the rest of you) ? Thanks I have a lot of dumb questions for someone whos been hangen on the fringes this long.

boputnam
12-05-2006, 01:20 PM
There are numerous discussions here on resurrounds, and such - SEARCH - you will find plenty opinions, observations and some sources. You might even find discussion on whether different foam material surrounds "matters" :hmm: - it surely does, but so does spider quality and your spiders are as old as your decrepit surround, so...

The only way to ensure your transducer is operating to factory spec is to recone with factory parts by a factory-authorized reconer.

Thom
12-05-2006, 01:48 PM
I would think that most spiders unless stored under really bad circumstances (20 years in an ampeg cabinet on moms back porch) arent likely to deteriate on their own, not to be confused with wearing out with hard use. as far as searching here, I'm sure I must have other people mumbling under their breath at me a lot about lazy sucker he could have looked that up. Zilch is always tossing out valuable links to things I couldnt find. I obviously such at searching. Any hints. I think if I was extremely good at one thing I'd be a savant. enough of that. I'm guessing that if the spyder has taken a set one direction or the other one can attempt to counter it slightly with the new surround?

As far as factory spec, there is no guarentee that that is what I wanted anyway, come to think of it they never did consult with me.

boputnam
12-05-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm guessing that if the spyder has taken a set one direction or the other one can attempt to counter it slightly with the new surround?Possibly but the spider does fatigue/become brittle - it can sag compared to a fresh one.

Yea, well Zilchdood may have more time out here than I do (I should be working right now!! :banghead: ), anyway, under "Forum" stuff, Don has put some helpful tips on constructing a useful SEARCH string.

Just to show Zilch got nothing on me... Go Here -> The Effective Searching or something like that thread
And, I wasn't thinking you suck at it, only that is the best way to ensure you get the fullness of discussions on everything here, rather than just the views of those who happen to be on-line right now.

As far as factory spec, there is no guarentee that that is what I wanted anyway, come to think of it they never did consult with me.Oh Ok. Well, if you do start your own speaker company, make sure you get the polarity right! :rotfl:

Thom
12-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I hope you're kidding on some of that because if not then I really came off wrong. I didn't suggest you said I suck at it I just owned up to it and I certainly wasn't trying to get you to spend time you didn't have. I do thank you.

Zilch
12-05-2006, 02:41 PM
My "secret," if there is one, is remembering a unique word appearing in the thread or title of interest.

"Quandary," for example, yields a short list, one of which I know contains GordonW's TCB subwoofer design for 123A drivers. :thmbsup:

The other direction is harder, finding more general info on a subject. Search "L100," and I'm in for a full day's entertainment.... :p

boputnam
12-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I hope you're kidding on some of that ...Absolutely - as in everything I do. :p

I did take the opp to stress SEARCH - not just for you, but to any and all who find us here. It is most important to review all that is archived and not just rely on current dialogue. We're fortunate to have had some real talent visit this place...

If you decide to go recone, there are 'coners here, too. Ask around...

johnaec
12-05-2006, 05:39 PM
...there are 'coners here, too. Ask around...'Ya mean these guys: :D