PDA

View Full Version : Need a sound advice !!

SJOSTRAND
12-02-2006, 01:01 PM
I have a pair of 4313B for the moment powered with a Harman-Kardon AVR435 and im pretty satisfied with the sound.But they need some more power,,i have 2 power amps to choose from...First a Accuphase P-250 and second a Phase Linear 400...Do anybody here any experience with these old amps or can you maybe recomend any other power amp that can do this fine speakers justice..
Thanks in advace .

Ian Mackenzie
12-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Frankly neither,

The Phase Linear is prone to failure and sounds horrible in the highs. The Accuphase lacks dynamics. Buy a larger current model HK or a new Marantz. Old amps that sound really good like the SAE's, Threshold's and Boulders's are hard to find.

You are probably better off going into a Pro Music (equipment) shop and buying a studio amp for a reasonable price.

Ian

Rolf
12-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Frankly neither,

The Phase Linear is prone to failure and sounds horrible in the highs. The Accuphase lacks dynamics. Buy a larger current model HK or a new Marantz. Old amps that sound really good like the SAE's, Threshold's and Boulders's are hard to find.

You are probably better off going into a Pro Music (equipment) shop and buying a studio amp for a reasonable price.

Ian

Well, I can agree with some of what Ian says (about the Phase), but I do not agree about Accuphase. Use that one if you can't buy a amp with newer technology. In my opinion do NOT buy a cheap pro-amp.

For me SAE on JBL sounds like a stone .. hard with little musicality. Threshold? some models maybe ... Boulders I know nothing about them.

SJOSTRAND
12-03-2006, 04:29 AM
Thanks both of you for your replies !

I already got both amps,,but they need some small repair.
So I think i will repair the accuphase then,,or maybe i will sell them both and buy something else..

Before buying this Avr435 amp i had a Denon Pma -2000R powering them ,,a lot of power yes but sounded awful in my ears.Hehe :blink:

Rolf
12-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks both of you for your replies !

I already got both amps,,but they need some small repair.
So I think i will repair the accuphase then,,or maybe i will sell them both and buy something else..

Before buying this Avr435 amp i had a Denon Pma -2000R powering them ,,a lot of power yes but sounded awful in my ears.Hehe :blink:

That would be a good idea. Sell them both, and put some money in it and buy a better amp. If you are interested I got some for sale I know sound very good on JBL's. PM me if you are interested.

BMWCCA
12-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Too bad you don't have access to cheap D-Series Crown amps over there like we do here. Seems like all across the U.S. there are movie theaters being torn down or upgraded and you can pick up a D150A-IIs for under $200, or less than the cost to repair a Phase Linear 400. The DC300A-IIs aren't going for much more. I have pairs of 4412As and L112s running with D150A-IIs and I swap them with a PS-200 for comparison purposes. Neither amp cost more than $150 and both sound great with those JBLs. I loaned one of my original D150A-IIs to a friend whose PL-400 blew up (That's why they've earned the name Flame Linear, and miraculously it didn't take his speakers with it), but he insists he needs more power for his late-model tower speakers like B&W or something of that sort. Either the D150A-II or the PS-200 would give you a power boost over the H-K AVR435, and two of them bridged should be more than enough. Just my attempt at keeping it all in the Harmon family.....;)

timc
12-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I used an Crown XTi-1000 on my l65's for a while. It sounded quite good. I found that i prefered it to ICE based amplifiers. Its also alot cheaper. Great value. And it will beat the HK hands down!

Best regards

BMWCCA
12-03-2006, 01:51 PM
I used an Crown XTi-1000 on my l65's for a while. It sounded quite good. I found that i prefered it to ICE based amplifiers. Its also alot cheaper. Not such a good reputation for their current PA amps used for home Hi-Fi. They are really intended as low-cost DJ items, but if you like it, who am I to judge.