PDA

View Full Version : Is higher ,,mo better ??

SEAWOLF97
12-01-2006, 08:51 PM
when I got my 4410's , the prior owner had them on a hardwood floor. Sounded good.
When I got them home, put them on my carpeted floor, sounded like sheeeeet.

In an hour or so, got them up on 13in tall stands. MUCH better.

Today raised them to 19in , which is ear level when sitting..even better.

QUESTION : Is there a way to calculate optimum hight ? Or is it "just experiment until right ??"

Is it different for near fields ? Consumer models ?
etc ??

Any recommendations on speaker stands about 19-20 inch ?

Robh3606
12-01-2006, 09:10 PM
On the Pro Monitors look at the polar curves. Rule of thumb is to have the tweeter at ear height or slightly above when seated.

Rob:)

moldyoldy
12-01-2006, 10:56 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

is that anything like "three times my big and twice my tall"?

might oughtta go Ask Alice about that one......

SEAWOLF97
12-02-2006, 09:50 AM
I like the looks, metal construction and price of these, but wonder if top plate is big enuff for the 4410s. Dont want to attach with screws,:blink:

http://www.racksandstands.com/VTI-RF-VI1049.html#ProdDetails

SEAWOLF97
12-08-2006, 07:26 PM
I bought these...for $40

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/244784841.html

huge and heavy , top plate was 11x14in , just perfect for the 4410s and they SOUND BETTER on these stands.

Storm
12-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Do you have a picture of those stands?

:)

-Storm

SEAWOLF97
12-08-2006, 09:21 PM
these

"Purchased these at Magnolia Hi Fi for $280.00. Downsizing so they must go. Brazilian cherry and birch wood. 18" tall. Check around, as cheap speaker stands will run you at least $59.99 and these are High End. EXCELLENT Condition."

Steve Schell
12-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi SEAWOLF97,

When you listen to your speakers, sound waves from the woofer have two primary paths to your ears: directly in a straight line, and down to the floor and back up to your head. The path that bounces off the floor is longer, and at the frequency where the difference between the two paths equals a half wavelength there will be a strong cancellation. The higher you move the speaker, the lower in frequency the cancellation will be in frequency. The relationships with other room boundaries are also changing as you raise the speakers, but the floor bounce causes the biggest change in most cases, usually obvious in measurements as a narrow but sharp dip.

The bass will also seem less strong as the speaker is raised, as the boundary reinforcement from the floor is weaker. In the end, the best location for the speakers is where they sound the best to you.

Storm
12-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Wow, seawolf - wish I picked those up!

I guess I would need to live in Portland, too...damn!

:)

Good job!

Can those hold Altec Valencias? :bouncy:

SEAWOLF97
12-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Wow, seawolf - wish I picked those up!
I guess I would need to live in Portland, too...damn!
Can those hold Altec Valencias?

I'll trade weather with you anytime, Storm...:bouncy:

I was on my knees and put all 190lbs of me on them,,not even any movement. Owner said they were rated at 250lbs. I liked them as the tops were much bigger than most. The biggest that I had found were 7x9 tops. These are 11x14. Most are 6x7 or so.

Tom Loizeaux
12-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi SEAWOLF97,
...The bass will also seem less strong as the speaker is raised, as the boundary reinforcement from the floor is weaker. In the end, the best location for the speakers is where they sound the best to you.

Since you probably want some bass boundry support as well as high frequencies coming directly at your ear, tall, or tower speakers seem to be a good design. Maybe this is one of the reasons why the big studio monitors like the 4343 and 4345 do so well.

If I were to raise smaller speakers up to head level, I think a sub might be needed to restore a little of the low end. I've attached a photo of my 4312As on stands. I added a touch of sub...and they sound great!

Tom

MJC
12-10-2006, 02:31 PM
If I were to raise smaller speakers up to head level, I think a sub might be needed to restore a little of the low end. I've attached a photo of my 4312As on stands. I added a touch of sub...and they sound great!

Tom
That was exactly the concept behind the L212s and the PT800s. Everything above 70~130htz, depending on the crossover from the subs, is coming straight at you and you still get plenty of low bass.
The size of the L212, or PT800 boxes are only about 24" tall. The size is only slightly bigger than many bookshelf speakers.
But when you mount them on a base or to a sub they're at ear level.

SEAWOLF97
12-10-2006, 04:58 PM
I was on my knees and put all 190lbs of me on them,,not even any movement. Owner said they were rated at 250lbs. I liked them as the tops were much bigger than most. The biggest that I had found were 7x9 tops. These are 11x14. Most are 6x7 or so.

WHAT TURNED OUT REALLY NICE WAS THAT THESE stands had 4 leveling feet. No more shims to get the speakers "on the level":)

coherent_guy
12-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Parts Express sells these stands, which are 18" high:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&PartNumber=240-749

I use this stand with L110's, and the tweeter is put at a good height. They have a 24" high version of this model I use with small monitor speakers, and a 12" model. This stand is well made, heavy and solid, and the pillar can be filled with sand for added weight. The finish is good, it comes with removable spikes on the bottom and top, and the price is right with free shipping at the moment. It looks like they are out of stock now, figures. PE has quite a few other stands, you might find something else useable there, but I would go with a heavier stand with larger speakers. They also have a stand that functionally is similar to the JBL stand I've seen in the forum, raising a large bookshelp speaker seven inches off the floor and tilting it back a bit.

duaneage
12-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I've a pair of stands that were holoow. I filled them with sand to dampen them since they were a little microphonic.

SEAWOLF97
12-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Parts Express sells these stands, which are 18" high

Thanx , I would have gone for those stands, had I not bought the wood ones . They have an 11x14 platform , leveling feet , very large (6x8in ?) pedestal , and rich Brazilian cherry (and only $40 on CL)

coherent_guy
12-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Yes, your stands are very nice, and the price was very right. The top plate is bigger than the PE stands, which does make a difference in stability. So called bookshelf speakers like ours are rather top heavy on stands and kinda scary, seemingly ready to tip at any time! I've seen some metal stands that have a tripod leg arrangement and are wider at the base then at the top plate. Very nice but way over-priced, $500+ I believe. BTW, who is "CL", I dunno :blink: Thanks

SEAWOLF97
12-18-2006, 03:30 PM
BTW, who is "CL", I dunno :blink: Thanks

www.craigslist.org

SEAWOLF97
12-19-2006, 04:06 PM
interesting speaker stands

Townshend Audio Seismic Sink Speaker Platform

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/6/v/2