PDA

View Full Version : MA & PA L300'S AND THE EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME

kingjames
12-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Is there a God or what? Yesterday afternoon my youngest brother came and picked me up and was taking me to his house up in Wisconsin. He is a fanatical JBL owner with about 200 pairs of all pro JBL and he rents his speakers in Wisconsin.

I have never considered the pro line as I didn't like the way most of them sound but he swear's by them.I have been promising for some time to come and check out his collection and he showed up yesterday and it seemed the perfect time to go see them. Him driving me there and bringing me back home was the reason I decided to go.We had to make a detour through Mchenry,IL,he had to pick up some of his speakers on the way. It's around 10 P.M when we left Mchenry,IL to continue on our way to Wisconsin.

We are now driving through Richmond IL when we realize that we are almost out of gas.It's around midnight now and it's pretty cold outside and we're almost dry.We're on this lonely stretch of highway pitch black and almost out of gas. Just when I thought we were going to start walking this old,old,old place came into view with it's lights still on for business.This building looked like a perfect picture out of the Civil War.They had gas and what a relief.

While my brother was pumping the gas I was inside buying some coffee and what struck me as I walked in was the smell of the place. It had that old pleasing smell to let you know you entered a very old dwelling.I was making my coffee when my cell phone rang. It was one of my friends returning a call that I placed to him when I bought those 250ti's.Just like me he loves JBL but just like me doesn't have the budget for the top end stuff. When one of us get's lucky to buy a pair we let the other one know.Now after I get them he will show up and audition them. That's the way we do things.

We'll after I told him that I bought the 250ti's the old man who is the owner of this place heard what I was saying.After the phone call he remarked" I see you like JBL Speakers" and of course I told him my story.He then showed me his speakers,he had a blanket covering them,and after he removed the blanket lo and behold possibly the best looking L300'S on the planet.:bouncy: Heaven yes! He turned on his stereo and played some classical music that was nothing short of stunning.Over in the corner was another cover I was interested in but it was covering a car,I was just curious what kind of car.It turned out to be a 1937 Cord my dad's favorite car.

While looking at the car is when I really noticed the L300's.What a sound these make it was so pleasing at a very low volume setting. I could hear every note and it was stunning.Needles to say I offered to buy them and he refused saying that I will be buried with these speakers. I just shrugged that statement off.He meant what he said after his wife said that is his wish to be buried with his speakers.

Can you imagine that? Here he has a perfect in mint condition 1937 Cord and doesn't want to be buried with it but choose's the speakers.Hooked up to these was an old Radio Shack receiver and it was absolutely amazing sound. If my speakers sound as good as those then I will feel the $4000.00 that I spent on my 250ti's will be nothing.

This is one experience I will never forget.In the end these were two of the nicest people I have ever met.They appeared to be in there 70's or 80's still running a gas station with a Ma&Pa store.If there is a God then I will believe this trip was meant for me to go on.

On finishing our trip my brother and I were figuring the odds of having this experience.He has never heard this speaker either and wants to purchase a pair and he doesn't like the appearnce of the 250ti's. He does have quite a collection of pro JBL stuff but this is not my cup of tea.Hope you like this story. This happened the way I said it did.

I do have one question though. What is the best speaker between the 250ti and the L300 running an old Receiver only. No modifications straight out of the box hooked to the two wires of a receiver????:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Tom Brennan
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Interesting but unreadable. Paragraphs please, there is a reason the nuns taught us about them. ;-)

kingjames
12-01-2006, 11:55 AM
I hope my edited version is easier to read? English was my worst subject and I guess it still is.:o:

alskinner
12-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Of all the JBL Speakers I have, the L300s would be the hardest to let go. Although I suspect you will love the 250ti's better, there is something magical about the L300s. I can't speak for the 250tis, but the L300s for me are the easiest to set up and are not as choosy about the electronics used on them as some speakers. Having said that I enjoy mine most with older tube equipment.

Ducatista47
12-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Great story, thanks for telling it. I'm going to remember that one. And I've been to those towns.

As to the question, ditto Al Skinner. My 4333's were not the least concerned with whatever amp or receiver I used. They made the best of whatever the source was. I couldn't tell you about the 250Ti, never owned them to try stuff out on.

Clark

Audiobeer
12-01-2006, 08:56 PM
I hope my edited version is easier to read? English was my worst subject and I guess it still is.:o:

I got the jest of it both ways. Great story.....anyone that could read got what your were saying. Besides Nuns always pissed me off!

Hoerninger
12-02-2006, 03:50 AM
Beautiful reading - those are the most enjoyable moments in life, just a gift.

Titanium Dome
12-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Does your brother have a 4x4? You must have been buried up to your knees in snow yesterday. My daughter said it was just horrible there. When I lived in W Michigan I used to like to go out in my 4x4 IHC Scout on days like that.

Anyway, good story.

mikebake
12-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I got the jest of it both ways. Great story.....anyone that could read got what your were saying. Besides Nuns always pissed me off!
While they were pissing you off, did they explain the difference between jest and gist?:D
Anyway, L300's were what led me to this site originally. I remembered my buddies brothers set. he eventaully installed them in a restaraunt, using Mac gear on the front end, and we listened to our albums on them for hours on end, often in the wee hours after closing time. When the brother first got them and we were listening to them at his house, my buddy explained to me that they were designed so that wherever you sat, you heard the other speaker just as well as the one you were closest to. I remembered that for years, and it didn't make sense. Later I realized his brother was undoubtedly telling him about Paragons, and he thought the L300's were like that.

kingjames
12-02-2006, 11:26 AM
He has a Range Rover. The snow didn't really hit until after 6 A.M. in that area however it was raining ice up until that point.Right now we have a nice covering of snow and ice with the temperature going down to 2 degrees tonight. Anyone need any snow shipped to them?:p

jbl4ever
12-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Hello Kingjames if you ever want to hear them A+B let me know:)