PDA

View Full Version : Problematic recording

yggdrasil
12-01-2006, 02:46 AM
A while back I got a new toy: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/ps04/

Brought it to my daughter's school corps autumn concert. I had no problems until the drum corps started. 20 drummers in a row gave us around 110dB in row 4... The recording level was too high or the used mic was too poor.

Which filters can be applied to improve the recording / remove the distortion?

Maron Horonzakz
12-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Remove the distortion? you cant....always check levels before recording next time.....Some times you cant do miracles after the mix.;)

transducergeek
12-01-2006, 10:18 AM
So the next recording is not distorted... I would wire in, or place a plug-in "loss-pad" into the circuit between the mics and the preamps. This will cut down the voltage entering the high-gain amps and so stop the overload there... About 10 DB should do it.. You can buy assorted DB loss pads at Pro Audio shops... or make them yourself... not hard.. just some resistors. I had to do this fix all the time in my 1970's studio days... Rolf Erickson.

BMWCCA
12-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Won't help any with your current recording, but doesn't that thing have a compressor or limiter of some kind, maybe even separately for each channel? BTW, how do you like it other than the level problem?

Harvey Gerst
12-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Adobe Audition (or the earlier CoolEdit version) have a de-clip function that works pretty well.

yggdrasil
12-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for your replies and time.

always check levels before recording next time.....
The levels was adjusted for the main corps. Around 20dB down.....

BTW, how do you like it other than the level problem?
Too early to say. Some of the material seems ok on the headphones, but who knows when played on speakers.

Adobe Audition (or the earlier CoolEdit version) have a de-clip function that works pretty well.
Thanks. I'll look into that over the weekend.

Robh3606
12-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Hello Johnny

I have Cool Edit 2000. If you can convert it to an MP3 and email it I can run it through and see it if works.

Rob:)

Harvey Gerst
12-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Hello Johnny

I have Cool Edit 2000. If you can convert it to an MP3 and email it I can run it through and see it if works.

Rob, make sure you normalize the file to 0 dBFS before you run the clip filter.

Robh3606
12-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks Harvey:D