PDA

View Full Version : JBL Cabaret cabinet construction

niconoise
11-30-2006, 12:27 PM
These 4628B cabinets appear to be tongue and groove construction.

I wish to confirm that the top and bottom are grooved only. This would mean that if they were not glued, they would lift off the rest of the cabinet.

Please also confirm that the front and back are tongue only, and that the sides are tongue at the top and bottom and grooved for the front and back panels.

These are made of the newer plywood and not the baltic birch of the original cabinets. I think this wood, though lighter, is not as strong as the original. The newer cabinets are more easily damaged.

I am also finding that as in the original series, the joints are glue starved - they contain voids.

Thanks

niconoise
12-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Were the cabaret cabinets built using nails or steel pins? I have come across some of these in the joints and would like to know if they are part of the standard construction technique. I will try to locate them with a magnet....

johnaec
12-11-2006, 02:28 PM
While some of us here have various Cabarets, there's really not much way we can answer your questions without stripping the cabinets down and knocking them apart, and while some of mine may be "beaters", 'can't say I'm willing to go that far yet...

John