PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here

DJ Vincenzo
11-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Bad ass forum cant wait to check it out.....other forums seem to have an abundance of jaded pricks against JBL....more of the redneck rocknroll led zepplin/anti computer and processor types from the 70's.:bs:

Storm
11-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Why would they be against JBL?

In my opinion, JBL and Altec started it all. They were the first to really open up a market for all these other speaker companies.

They are not mad or against JBL, they are just jealous.

Welcome aboard - there is a wealthful of information about JBL here.

You will become quickly addicted, trust me. I refresh the new posts about every 15-20 minutes.

Have fun!

:D

Mr. Widget
11-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Bad ass forum cant wait to check it out.....other forums seem to have an abundance of jaded pricks against JBL....more of the redneck rocknroll led zepplin/anti computer and processor types from the 70's.:bs:
Welcome aboard... one question though. Are we the "redneck rock'n'roll, Led Zeppelin/anti-computer and processor types from the '70s or is that the description for those other fellas?

Widget

Pioneer727
11-29-2006, 06:47 PM

No comment except one if you lived in the 70's you would know more then you know now!
Welcome to LH

Mr. Widget
11-29-2006, 06:50 PM
No comment except one if you lived in the 70's you would know more then you know now!
Welcome to LH
Sorry for this Off Topic observation, but I survived the '70s and can't help but feel that I have forgotten much more than I know now.:(

Widget

DJ Vincenzo
11-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Welcome aboard... one question though. Are we the "redneck rock'n'roll, Led Zeppelin/anti-computer and processor types from the '70s or is that the description for those other fellas?

Widget

lol, the others...i find that most of the old timers that are against JBL just biuld thier own cabs and slap sum emmience's in them and just wing it......for the DB.......not the clarity.

for me it is JBL SRX700's, Crown and Rane all the way,

Titanium Dome
11-29-2006, 07:55 PM
I post on a few other forums, and I spend most of my time correcting misinformation about JBL and responding to JBL bashing. It's not just the OFs (Old Farts) but also the NACs (Not-a-clues) asserting the superiority of their Ascend, Athena, Bose, Paradigm, etc., speakers. It's not that those brands are necessarily bad, but ignorantly claiming that those brands brand leave JBLs in the dust cannot go unchallenged (or unpunished).

Of course, here we have proponents of the old over the new, horns over direct radiators, etc., but overall there's a reasonable civility. :bash:

scott fitlin
11-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Welcome aboard, youll like it here. Your in the right place.

:D

morbo!
11-29-2006, 08:50 PM
give me digital or die

yup
welcom

Im on the digital side of this camp
it`s pretty lonely over here. but i belive tech is here too help me

If i never see another cap in a box i`ll be happy
programmable slopes the way of the future!

coherent_guy
11-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Yes many welcomes, you will find a level of expertise here that is amazing. Regarding speaker manufactuers, JBL and Altec differed from other companies in that their products were not simply speaker systems, but the component drivers themselves. Plus you knew what you were buying, and could even choose what went into your speakers in the early days. A two-inch stamped frame Bose driver with exposed ceramic magnets weighing ounces wouldn't look to good on a catalog page, and their technology (?) is showing.

The differences between forums out there is astounding, from the ones with posts from poor souls unable to get their surround sound systems working because the Toslink cable won't fit in the RCA jack, to the high-end ones where the cables have stands and cost as much as cars. Some forums are just chat rooms for kids, others places of true debate and great exchanges of technical information where true learning happens. The later happens here, as you can see if you simply look.

oznob
11-29-2006, 10:25 PM
I also want to welcome you to the forum and I think you will find it to be the most free of audio :bs: on the web! The administrators, moderators, "heavy lifters," and not so heavy lifters are here to help, guide and even poke a little fun at our hobby. We are passionate about our music and our and how it's presented. I have made true friends on this forum which is more than I can for others I have participated in. As said before, you are in the right place!

timc
11-30-2006, 02:17 AM
Welcome from me too :)

Hope you'll enjoy your stay.

mike53
11-30-2006, 10:36 AM

I'm a new member, myself, and from these posts it seems there is a wide range in ages. (I remember building monoaural tube amps to drive a single speaker - call me old school.)

That said: I have acquired a "James B. Lansing" solid state, integrated amplifier (obviously designed for home use) circa late '60s to very early '70s. The model number is obscured and the output transistors are missing. I cleaned it up and applied power to 'scoped the pre-amps - very clean signal out.

Anyway, I have not been able to locate anything like it. Has anyone seen such a device from JBL. The only JBL electronic equipment, from this time period, that I am familiar with is all professional. Does anyone have any idea what model this may be? I'd would like to get it working just to get an idea of what it sounds like. Thanks.

johnaec
11-30-2006, 10:41 AM
I have acquired a "James B. Lansing" solid state, integrated amplifier (obviously designed for home use) circa late '60s to very early '70s.'Sounds like a SA600 or SA660. Check this: http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-SA600-and-SA660-AMPLIFIER-SERVICE-MANUAL-58-Pages_W0QQitemZ5864923507QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3280QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

John

Mr. Widget
11-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Here are some very nice photos of a SA600... the auction looks suspect though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/mint-ecxellent-JBL-SA600-integrated-amp-L-K-JBL-FANS_W0QQitemZ330055594040QQihZ014QQcategoryZ73369 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330 055594040

Widget

DJ Vincenzo
11-30-2006, 06:13 PM
JBL will forever own all...why.....what other brand speaker can u find for sell on ebay thats 50's year old, working and labled "Vintage"...the rest of the specs people throw at me are :blah: .

thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

DJ Vincenzo
11-30-2006, 06:18 PM
i almolst forgot..look what i just won on Ebay:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180051622748&rd=1&rd=1

going to drive 5 hours to houston this weekend to get em!

mike53
12-01-2006, 05:50 AM
'Sounds like a SA600 or SA660. Check this: http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-SA600-and-SA660-AMPLIFIER-SERVICE-MANUAL-58-Pages_W0QQitemZ5864923507QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3280QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

John

John & Mr. Widget, thank you so very much. This is it, the SA600...I've already sent for the manual. As for the functioning amp...I would certainly like to have that also, but I saw a (desired?) price of $1,600. A bit steep, I think. Like yourself, Mr. Widget, I'm a bit suspicious.

Thanks, again, guys for this really made my day.:applaud:

ps: Once I get the amp "fired-up" I'll be sure to let you know how it sounds...with my JBL speakers.

Gary L
12-03-2006, 08:30 AM
I'm with Mr. Widget having survived the '70s-------------- Dam, now I forgot what I was going to say:blink:

Anyway, welcome aboard. Your love of JBL vintage gear will find plenty of company here and you could even step it up a notch and get infected with some Altecitus. There is no cure but the medicine is not as expensive.:D

You probably need these.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/Gamalot/Speakers-26.jpg

Gary

DJ Vincenzo
12-04-2006, 08:17 AM
whoa...thats looks cool as hell

kingjames
12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Hey I'm from the 70's,thought Led Zeppelin was the best rock band and even used my L100's to play those Lp's,sonic heaven I say.:p Now I am a computer freak and now I say there are only 2 things worth mentioning in the future that come from the past and,they are Email and JBL'S and not necessary in that order. Welcome aboard and there are some gifted people here who take the time out to help us less technical people.There is really only one speaker here that get's bashed and that is Bose! Have fun here as we all do.:applaud:

DJ Vincenzo
12-04-2006, 06:32 PM
lol @ Bose, i remember when i worked for a high end audio store that sold Macintosh vacuum tube amps and pioneer elite in 1994 in Knoxville...we had a whole back room full of those bose cubes...we found out that it cost the manufacturer 1 whole dollar to make them.

Storm
12-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Are you serious?

WOW! One dollar to make a cube speaker? Cripes, that is a very high mark up.

However, I give them credit in one area - Marketing.

If JBL and Altec could have learned half what they know, there would never have been a Bose.

:blah:

DJ Vincenzo
12-05-2006, 08:25 AM
edit....i meant the driver cost 1 buck...the enclosure probably cost 3 so were up to 4 bucks!

opimax
12-05-2006, 11:54 AM
And most likely less than a buck for reserach on sound quality :barf:

Mark