PDA

View Full Version : 4313B vs AR2AX

shacky
11-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Realize this may be blaphemy to ask this question on this site. I currently listen to AR 2AX's recapped and love their bass. A little rolled off on the top. Great for jazz not sure I like them for classic rock.

Thinking JBL's would be great choice as I'm listening to more and more classic rock and blues. My question is after gett acclimated to the bass heavy AR's, how will the 4313B's sound in comparison? Local shop has a nice set of 4313B's - asking $400 - but won't let me take them home for trial.:(

Thanks,

Shacky

boputnam
11-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Easy. If you for some unforeseen reason don't prefer the 4313B's, eBay will be just that - easy...

My grab is once you hear the 4313B's your tastes might change (for the better) away from the AR "sound".

Try and determine if/how the 4313B's have ever been "worked on" - always a risk in pursuing "previously owned" cabinets...

Robh3606
11-28-2006, 07:08 PM
The 4313 was the cream of the crop in that era as far as accuracy. Guess who:)

So bring the AR's to the shop.

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
11-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Thinking JBL's would be great choice... how will the 4313B's sound in comparison?Let's see.... Lansing Heritage Discussion Forum... how will the 4313s sound?

That's easy. They will sound most excellent! :applaud:

Widget

shacky
11-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Guess I should post same question on AR forum at Classicspeakers.net and compare the answers. Will probably cancell out! ;)

I love the bass emphasis on the AR's. Many people tell me that JBL Monitors are flatter and not for bass fans. So really wanted to try them in my home enviornment to see how they compare. :coolness:

Actually looking a set of L40's for much less. I know that's not a 4313B but will be cheaper way yo explore the JBL sound. :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Zilch
11-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Actually looking a set of L40's for much less. I know that's not a 4313B....Indeed not, BUT...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=132152#post132152

mikebake
11-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Guess I should post same question on AR forum at Classicspeakers.net and compare the answers. Will probably cancell out! ;)

I love the bass emphasis on the AR's. Many people tell me that JBL Monitors are flatter and not for bass fans. So really wanted to try them in my home enviornment to see how they compare. :coolness:

Actually looking a set of L40's for much less. I know that's not a 4313B but will be cheaper way yo explore the JBL sound. :D

Thanks for the feedback!
What happened to the idea of taking the AR's to the shop, or leaving a deposit with them, etc.?

Mr. Widget
11-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Actually looking a set of L40's for much less. I know that's not a 4313B but... ...but it has the same name on it. Don't waste your money.

You've stated that you like the rolled off top end and the AR bass sound. No problem with that... maybe you should be looking for a better pair of ARs. The AR 10pi/ AR 11s were very nice speakers... I can't imagine that you'll be happy with an entry level JBL... if you get them you'll end up telling everyone what junk JBL makes. I wish they never entered the junk market... but then, JBL is still in business and AR isn't. (OK, the name is still around, but then so is Altec's name.)

Widget

mikebake
11-29-2006, 02:59 PM
...but it has the same name on it. Don't waste your money.

You've stated that you like the rolled off top end and the AR bass sound. No problem with that... maybe you should be looking for a better pair of ARs. The AR 10pi/ AR 11s were very nice speakers... I can't imagine that you'll be happy with an entry level JBL... if you get them you'll end up telling everyone what junk JBL makes. I wish they never entered the junk market... but then, JBL is still in business and AR isn't. (OK, the name is still around, but then so is Altec's name.)

Widget

My buddy has AR10pi's and just ordered LSR32's. Shacky, if you are serious about this you oughta make the effort to properly hear/compare the 4313's vs. the AR's you are familiar with already, and don't waste time asking for a bunch of opinions, particularly given that I'd be surprised if most people have even heard 4313's, as opposed to some conception of JBL in general. Take your amp and head to the store and give them a listen; it is also important, as mentioned, that these haven't had improper driver repairs or replacements.

Mr. Widget
11-29-2006, 03:04 PM
My buddy has AR10pi's and just ordered LSR32's. Let me know what he thinks of the LSRs... even though you and I know they are better... there is always that personal preference thing.:)

Shacky, if you are serious about this...Take your amp and head to the store and give them a listen; it is also important, as mentioned, that these haven't had improper driver repairs or replacements.:yes:

Widget

mikebake
11-29-2006, 03:28 PM
He has put them away in storage for awhile now, so although he had them since new, his recollection may not be very fresh. However, I sure he WILL hear that the LSR's don't sound like his old AR's. His comment was something like "I paid about the same money for the AR's in the 70's as these LSR's. Amazing."
Since he is buying them unheard, I spent alot of time explaining them to him. After several calls, he told me he really wanted speakers for seriously sitting down and listening to music with. (as opposed to background, partying, etc.) and his space is kinda studio sized and his volume requirements modest. I felt confident then that he would be pleased. If not, pack 'em back up and sell 'em easily enough. He should get them in a day or two. Should be interesting.