PDA

View Full Version : Center Channel to Match L100's

need bb
11-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Hi, I am a proud owner of a pair of L100's and another pair of L100T's. I am using the speakers in a 5.1 setup, and they work great. I currently have the L100's as the mains, and the L100t as the rears. The issue is that I need a center channel to match the speakers. I know that there were no JBL center for eiether L100's. I am looking for a center channel less than $150, that will match well with my current setup. I am not looking for perfection, just some thing that is better than a random $25 cube speaker:D I have heard that the JBL S-center works pretty well, but I would appreciate some more opinions!

Thanks

Titanium Dome
11-28-2006, 09:49 AM
If you have the room under the screen or TV, why not get a single L100 (or even an L88) to use as your center? These are not too hard to find and will be as close a match to you L100s as you can get.

Another option, which I would choose over the first, would be to switch your L100s to the back, put the L100Ts in front, and look for a single L20T or L60T for the center. That is a much stronger front line up and will give you better sound reproduction all 'round.

L20Ts from an ebay auction:

Don Mascali
11-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I own the L100, L100t and L100t3.
The Dome is right on both options;
But in IMHO the L100t's should have the front position and that any of the t series titainium dome tweetered speakers would make a fine choice. They are all of pretty simular timbre. A L100t or t3 would be the best, or if you are handy, buy the components and build your own version. The parts are readily available and our resident experts are extremely helpful throughout the whole process. A smaller version with a sealed woofer would be sweet too.

Good listening,
Don M

hosken
11-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Please have in mind that, if you own CRT you may have color distortions to speaker's magnets, if they are too close to the TV set. In my case, due to this problem and since I live in Brazil (not viable to purchase a pair of L100t at e-bay and bring it by airmail) I chose to purchase only some L100s transducers and builld a DIY center.

You may find more about Center Speakers x L100 (4311) at
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=131119#post131119 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=131119#post131119)

need bb
11-28-2006, 06:36 PM
I will look into the L20t. I am tight on space for the center, so there is no way an L100 or even L60t will fit. Does anyone have any suggestion for a more modern center that is shielded?

Thanks

Don Mascali
11-28-2006, 07:00 PM
I have my L100t3's 30" from the side of a 36" CRT with no visable effects. One of the smaller woofers may not be a problem, you'll have to try and see.

Parts Express carries bucking magnets to counter the field too.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&WebPage_ID=3&ObjectGroup_ID=571&SO=2&CFID=5298279&CFTOKEN=94431712

hosken
11-29-2006, 03:45 PM
I have my L100t3's 30" from the side of a 36" CRT
with no visable effects. One of the smaller woofers may
not be a problem, you'll have to try and see.

When I said speakers close to TV, in my case, I meant close! (not much room here).

But I have a 12" sub about 15" from a 27" TV screen and no problem.

Also, my DYI center has all transducers shielded except HF (a LE26) right under the CRT with no problem either.

The LE26 is 8" from screen. If I hold the transducer closer than that I have problems. That's why I used shielded woofers there.

So if you are not closer to TV than I am, you won't have problems...

Parts Express carries bucking magnets to counter the field too.

Never tried to use the magnets, as below - but it probably affects the original specs, right?

need bb
11-29-2006, 10:49 PM
So none of the newer JBL centers, such as the EC35 will work? I don't have any expertise building speakers, so I really don't want to build a center.

Also could I bridge a pair of L20t together and run them side by side for a center? Wouldn't this cause the impediance to drop to 4 ohms? To counter this I assume I would have to reduce the gain of the center on my 7.1 Pioneer reciever compared to the rest of the speakers.

Thanks

glen
11-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Please have in mind that, if you own CRT you may have color distortions to speaker's magnets, if they are too close to the TV set.

This may not be a problem if you get a 4311 (not the later 4311A and 4311B which used the ferrite LE25 tweeter) . Not only do all it's drivers use the cast iron pot closed magnetic circuit that should not have stray magnetic fields to interfere with your CRT, it also is designed to sit on it's side (tweeter and midrange will be vertically stacked).
Good luck, and let us know what finally works for you!

Mr. Widget
11-30-2006, 12:48 AM
This may not be a problem if you get a 4311...I believe the tweeter was changed with the introduction of the 4311. If you want a shielded tweeter in a vintage system, you would need the 4310.

Widget

Don Mascali
11-30-2006, 03:33 AM
So none of the newer JBL centers, such as the EC35 will work?

Anything with resonable response will "Work":dont-know. I started with a JBL consumer center but after reading info from the more enlightened among us, I built one that matched my H/T fronts. I was sorry to have taken that first detour. The change was very noticable. Even timbre is very important for continuity when the action pans across the screen. I use a 108" projected image and it really sucks without the balanced sound stage.

2-L20's tweeter to tweeter would likely be a better position than side to side. I personally think a single L20 would be fine. Save the other for parts.

opimax
11-30-2006, 07:47 AM
I am currently using 2 l20t, tweeter to tweeter as stated above. It was a noticeable improvement to running 1 by it self.It is "ok". I too have little ability to build speakers but after accumilating enough drivers I will attempt a more timbre matched center.

I would be willing to bet you could contract w/someone here to build something for you...

Mark

toddalin
11-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Use the other for a center rear or have a spare.;)

http://www.recycler.com/home_electronics/detail.classified?id=RCY-194-46063119&search_zip=

hosken
12-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Anything with resonable response will "Work":dont-know.
I started with a JBL consumer center but after reading info
from the more enlightened among us, I built one that matched
my H/T fronts. I was sorry to have taken that first detour.
The change was very noticable. Even timbre is very important
for continuity when the action pans across the screen. I use
a 108" projected image and it really sucks without the
balanced sound stage.

Same reason I've built my, using a LE-26 and a LE-5-2, which are the exact same HF / MF transducers I have in my L100s.

I agree this pan problem is really a pain :) for me, even though your screen is 16 times larger (area) than mine.

I had good results so far (finished the speaker few weeks ago).

Do you remember the movie you have the worst problem?

Since I am still testing, suggestions of films where this is more noticeable are welcome, guys!

Ralphh
12-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I am using a JBL EC35 as my center chanel with L100's as the front mains. The EC35 blends nicely with the L100's and has good vocals. Found mine on that big auction site, new in factory sealed box, for a very resonable price. I'm using a pair of Polk Audio 2-way speakers as the rears in a 5.1 set-up, with no sub-woofer at this time. The L-100's provide plenty of bass for most movies.

Lactuca
12-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Hi Ralphh, I’m sorry to hijack this thread but I try to join you using Private Message. Can you answer me please, or give me your email address. Thanks ;)