PDA

View Full Version : BI RADIAL HORNS

Squirrel
11-27-2006, 10:05 AM
The bi-radial horns were presented as a decisive step forward in terms of spatial coverage, who knows why they were abandonned by JBL on further monitors?

Robh3606
11-27-2006, 10:26 AM
who knows why they were abandonned by JBL on further monitors?

How were they abandoned??? The last three large format monitors produced by JBL the 4430/4435 and the DMS-1 both used them. The UREI's were never Biradials and could not be converted due to the horn size needed. They were not abandonned as JBL stopped making the larger monitors. They changed to smaller monitors instead more in line with 5.1 surround mixes. The new smaller LSR monitors are more accurate than their larger brothers.

Rob:)

Tom Brennan
11-27-2006, 10:15 PM
"The new smaller LSR monitors are more accurate than their larger brothers."

What does more accurate mean? Do they have less compression and better dynamics? Lower distortion?

Titanium Dome
11-28-2006, 10:11 AM

What does more accurate mean? Do they have less compression and better dynamics? Lower distortion?

Your questions might be answered here:

... JBL LSR speaker systems are based upon Linear Spatial Reference (LSR) technology - which has redefined what a sound reproduction system can and should be. Linear Spatial Reference is a collection of carefully calculated techniques that go far beyond simple on-axis frequency response measurements. Instead, LSR technology measures the performance of a speaker over a sphere that encompasses all energy radiated into the listening environment in every direction and analyzed algorithmically via known psycho-acoustic principles to calculate complete and accurate optimization of the sound field, including the direct sound field, the reflected sound field and the reverberant sound field.

All of the new LSR speaker systems incorporate other JBL innovations, including JBL's Differential Drive (DD)technology. DD utilizes two voice coils in each driver, with their magnetic gaps set 180 degrees out of phase with each other. A third coil acts as dynamic brake at maximum excursion to reduce audible distortion. The net effect is to double the power handling capability of each driver, allowing the Differential DriveŽ drivers to deliver virtually distortion-free audio at higher power levels than ever before. In combination with other new design elements, such as the nested magnetic structure and preferential airflow design which further increase efficiency by more rapidly dissipating heat, the JBL Differential DriveŽ driver is the most effective on the market.

Other JBL-designed or developed components and technologies include the latest in composite materials, such as a carbon-fiber composite baffle to reduce resonances and a rigid inertial ground for the transducers to reduce box loses. A Linear Dynamic Aperture (LDA) reinforces the low frequency response for an exceptionally well-defined bass. Flared inner and outer sections reduce port compression and air noise, fully optimizing the low power compression designs of the Differential DriveŽ woofers.

Of course, one would need to listen to them to see if any of this technology actually produces a desirable effect. IMO it works remarkably well, especially when the final, key ingredient is added.

That of course

would

be

wait for it...

wait for it...

the horn-replacing

technical achievement

known as

wait for it...

the EOS Waveguide!

Robh3606
11-28-2006, 10:46 AM

Hello Tom

The overall frequency response is smoother out of the box for one. Any of the large format monitors were designed with the knowledge they would be EQ'd in use. If you look at a typical monitor like a 4333 the newer LSR's are much smoother. As far as dynamics they exhibit very low power compression but they can't do the highest SPL's like the larger monitors could. Take a look at this:

http://www.jblpro.com/LSR/PDF/JBL.tn_v3_2A.pdf

And 4333 on axis curve

They have some in the Tent Sale right now at a bargain price

http://www.jblpro.com/commerce/tent_sale/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=181

mikebake
11-28-2006, 11:29 AM

http://www.jblpro.com/commerce/tent_sale/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=181

That is no bargain, and I own them and they suck..........;)
Drat! Don't go around promoting these things............

Zilch
11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
No more lefts listed, apparently.... :(

X_X
11-28-2006, 12:42 PM
No more lefts listed, apparently.... :(

That's alright...get it? all right (ones)? :)

briang
12-03-2006, 08:53 AM

Drat! No lefts, just rights available...would it really matter?

BMWCCA
12-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Since the entire HF/Mid/port mounting plate is made to be removed/rotated, what would it take to simply buy a left plate as a part and swap the parts? Do-able, as in do the drivers come apart from the plate? Anyone seen the parts listing?

slxrti
12-16-2006, 11:36 PM

Not to start a war, the 43xx series monitors are in general not as accurate.
(I never liked the horns/crossover freq. from that era).
Compared to my 4430's, they were less dynamic and lacked the lower bass response (which was to be expected).

The High's were somewhat similar, neutral and dry. Imaging is equal or better.

Slxrti

Zilch
12-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Why would it have been expected that 43xx monitors would lack low bass response in comparison to 4430?

4430 isn't even tuned optimally for that....

Rolf
12-17-2006, 01:45 AM
The bi-radial horns were presented as a decisive step forward in terms of spatial coverage, who knows why they were abandonned by JBL on further monitors?

In my opinion they were abandoned because of the sound.

Not to start a war, the 43xx series monitors are in general not as accurate.
(I never liked the horns/crossover freq. from that era).
Compared to my 4430's, they were less dynamic and lacked the lower bass response (which was to be expected).

The High's were somewhat similar, neutral and dry. Imaging is equal or better.

My opinion is the opposite of yours. The 4430/35 is not as good as the 43xx series.

slxrti
12-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Why would it have been expected that 43xx monitors would lack low bass response in comparison to 4430?

4430 isn't even tuned optimally for that.....

I Should have said 4430 compared to my Lsr's. :)

Slxrti

slxrti
12-17-2006, 02:14 AM
My opinion is the opposite of yours. The 4430/35 is not as good as the 43xx series.[Rolf/quote]

I'm ok with that. :)

btw, the 4430's are far from perfect
slxrti