PDA

View Full Version : Should L96 Networks be recapped?

Zekeman
11-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I acquired a pair of L96's over the summer that were mint prior to shipment (that's another story). I refoamed the woofers (and fixed the cabinets). I would recap the networks if, it is the opinion of resident experts in this forum that, it would improve performance.

Opinions please...?

Thanks.

timc
11-25-2006, 12:52 AM
If the caps are original they are probably all dried out. I changed all the caps in my L65 when i got them, and the sound became alot better. So i would recommend to do it. Its not very expensive either. Unless you go for thoose exotic high-end caps.

Best regards Tim

Ian Mackenzie
11-25-2006, 12:58 AM
I acquired a pair of L96's over the summer that were mint prior to shipment (that's another story). I refoamed the woofers (and fixed the cabinets). I would recap the networks if, it is the opinion of resident experts in this forum that, it would improve performance.

Opinions please...?

Thanks.

Not unless you CC them, not allowed to do it any other way Sez JBL.

Best to build a new network if you do.

Ian

Ducatista47
11-25-2006, 01:34 AM
JBL, well Harman anyway, also says there is no reason to use a tube amp any more because they don't sound any better and probably worse than solid state. Maybe they should stick to what they do best.

Charge coupling may be the best, I don't doubt it, but updating the components with superior items of good value per dollar ratio would probably give a lot of bang for the buck. Bypassing caps, if appropriate, can work wonders with some speakers and has been long blessed by JBL. Forgive me if the L96 is already bypassed, I don't remember.

Clark in Peoria

mikebake
11-25-2006, 08:40 AM
JBL, well Harman anyway, also says there is no reason to use a tube amp any more because they don't sound any better and probably worse than solid state.
Maybe they should stick to what they do best.

a)I agree with them and
b)They are. It's called "professional audio engineering".

Ducatista47
11-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Not trying to start something, Mike. If Harman owned Rogue, they would never say that. It's all marketing. In a modern corporation lawyers and marketing people have the final say on the face presented to the public, not engineers.

When I last heard, JBL and Harman still design and sell systems for the home. Often very different requirements from Professional Audio. I'm sure the DD66000 trumps everything that came before it, but if I had a pair I would still like to try tube gear on it as well as the nicest mos-fet pieces. I have a lot of dogs here, and they might vote no on the super tweeter. ;)

Enough OT from me, sorry.

Peace, Clark

timc
11-25-2006, 10:21 AM
I friend of mine have talked to guys on JBL and they say that many people have great sucsess using SS on the LF and Tube on the HF drivers, of their K2 models. They dont recommend Tubes on the LF drivers though. I agree with that. I dont know about any tubeamps (except maybe the BIG ARC's) that would deliver on the K2's

speakerdave
11-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Not trying to start something, Mike. If Harman owned Rogue, they would never say that. It's all marketing. In a modern corporation lawyers and marketing people have the final say on the face presented to the public, not engineers.

Exactly. Harman makes and sells SS amps.

JBL's chief speaker systems engineer apparently uses tube amps at home (even for bass), according to information we have on these threads.

David

Ducatista47
11-25-2006, 10:44 AM
TIMC, I do use tubes on the top and SS on the woofers. No one here has had anything but good things to say about it so far.

I think Rogue Zeus or Grommes 360 tube amps would do nicely for the bass, unless the reason for the recommendation is impedence considerations. But the Zeus will do any system proud.

Clark

timc
11-25-2006, 11:13 AM
I have heard the Zeus. Compared to the ARC D400 mkII wich powered the K29800 it is a whimp, with capital W. Its a great amp. Dont get me wrong, but with big LF woofers wich is not hornloaded it just dont have that "little extra". In my experience JBL woofers are more difficult to controll than many other brands. Dont know why. Maybe someone with connections to JBL could ask?

Ian Mackenzie
11-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Manley make consumer and pro valve gear. ;)

They also have a great synergy with JBLs.

Passlabs also have a great synergy with JBLs.:D

Back on topic can you post a pic of those networks.

Ian

grumpy
11-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Zekeman,

I'd relax and listen for awhile. See if you like them as is...the caps are already
bypassed. They're nice speakers (mine are keepers). :)

-grumpy