PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter problems on 4313B

Gozzy
11-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi, I have recently hooked up my 4313B monitors which need new bass woofers (which are taken out). I have been testing by using my active sub for the bass and the mids and trebles for the upper part of the sound spectrum. I have noticed that my left speaker doesn’t seem to be as crisp as the right speaker. It seems that one of the tweeters is sounding different. I have a new amp which has never been abused. I haven’t tried to change around the speakers from L R to R L as yet, but I will do soon. To determine whether it is the speakers or another fault in the system. By chance do the caps in the crossovers ever need replacing, due to drying out with age? I’m not sure, but I know that they are sealed in what looks like a cylinder filled with wax.

If anyone can help here, please give me your ideas.

Thank You

Michael

hjames
11-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi, I have recently hooked up my 4313B monitors which need new bass woofers (which are taken out). I have been testing by using my active sub for the bass and the mids and trebles for the upper part of the sound spectrum. I have noticed that my left speaker doesn’t seem to be as crisp as the right speaker. It seems that one of the tweeters is sounding different. I have a new amp which has never been abused. I haven’t tried to change around the speakers from L R to R L as yet, but I will do soon. To determine whether it is the speakers or another fault in the system. By chance do the caps in the crossovers ever need replacing, due to drying out with age? I’m not sure, but I know that they are sealed in what looks like a cylinder filled with wax.

If anyone can help here, please give me your ideas.

Thank You

Michael

My approach - you have to start switching parts of your speakers to locate the bug.
First - check the color-code on the tweeter wires and be sure they are the same (stripes and solids to the same color pins on the drivers).
If they are the same, great. If not, make them match.

NEXT - swap your tweeters between the two boxes and see if the problem moves - BE SURE TO KEEP POLARITY CORRECT for the drivers.

If the sound doesn't move, the problem is something else.
SWITCH THE TWEETERS BACK TO WHERE THEY STARTED

When troubleshooting, be sure to only change one thing at a time!!

Next, swap the crossover networks between the two boxes.

Again, see if the problem, moved.

Hope this helped. I started with the easiest thing and went to more difficult.

boputnam
11-22-2006, 06:00 PM
You go, girl!! :applaud:

soundboy
11-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Check the L pads....spray inside the vents liberally with conctact cleaner and twist them back and forth a few times....those old L pads get corroded from sitting for decades....My old 4301's had NO tweeter sound when they arrived from ebay sale, mint and beautiful....I was bummed....then I moved both L pads, and realized they needed to be taken apart and replaced or cleaned...I just cleaned them, and months later they still rock....good luck...wish I had your 4313's to play with:bouncy:

Gozzy
11-24-2006, 08:47 AM
right then, i have swapped over both speakers from L-R to R-L on the amplifier and have noticed no difference, I think my ears must be playing up ha ha. Once i get the replacement LE-10H woofers in them i think all will be good :D

hjames
11-24-2006, 10:16 AM
right then, i have swapped over both speakers from L-R to R-L on the amplifier and have noticed no difference, I think my ears must be playing up ha ha. Once i get the replacement LE-10H woofers in them i think all will be good :D

Wait - you tested them by swapping the speaker connections on your Amp?
So - if the badsound moved - that means the problem is in your Amp.
If the badsound didn't move - that means the problem is in a bad speaker.

If it is a Bad speaker problem, then you can do the tests I said before to find what PART of that speaker is bad (driver or crossover)

But I would do what soundboy recommended first - get a can of tuner cleaner - the kind WITHOUT silicon lube (that just attracts dust) and spray into the controls ON the speaker (if they have any). He's right - those speaker controls can tarnish over time and tarnished controls can mean lousy sound.

Gozzy
11-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Ok what your refering to is switch cleaner without silicone? yes i havent tryed that as yet, would i need to take out the controls from the box, or would i be able to lye the speaker box on the ground facing upwards and just spray downwards inbetween both controls on both speakers?

SJOSTRAND
11-25-2006, 06:34 AM
Since you have removed one woofer the ohm resistance is not the same as the other speaker and the treble and mid will pay on a diffrent volume and also sound diffrent,, I also have a pair of 4313B and been there myself with one woofer on repair...I have also tryed to connect a pair of passive subs with paralell connection and the ohm will be 4 ohm´s instead of 8ohm`s that is the normal for 4313B,,And they sound completely diffrent when running on 4ohm,,,,,

Hopefully im not completly wrong !!!!:blink:

Gozzy
11-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Since you have removed one woofer the ohm resistance is not the same as the other speaker and the treble and mid will pay on a diffrent volume and also sound diffrent,, I also have a pair of 4313B and been there myself with one woofer on repair...I have also tryed to connect a pair of passive subs with paralell connection and the ohm will be 4 ohm´s instead of 8ohm`s that is the normal for 4313B,,And they sound completely diffrent when running on 4ohm,,,,,

Hopefully im not completly wrong !!!!:blink:

I have removed both woofers becuase they were both damaged beyond a re-foam, i will be ordering replacments very soon.. I still have the empty baskets which i would like to get re-coned.